shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Diamond Studs decision?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I've been thinking about getting a pair of larger 3 ctw diamond studs for quite some time. I tested platinum and 18K yellow gold settings, and it seems I am able to wear those without an allergic reaction. I'm planning to set the studs in a 4-prong basket platinum setting. I was originally considering lab diamonds to reduce cost, but I think my preference for the studs is to go with mined diamonds.

I normally gravitate to colorless and very very slightly included for larger stones, as I am color sensitive and have very good vision so I can easily see inclusions. Excellent cut, polish, and symmetry are without question. Since I won't be able to look at the diamonds closely when I'm wearing them, I am considering going with near colorless, very slightly included, and a non-branded stone as I don't think the premium is worth it for earrings.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the cost which is likely to be $25-30K. While it won't impact my finances, is the opportunity cost worth it? I love looking and admiring diamonds due to their beauty, history of their formation, and scientific properties. Aside from engagement and wedding rings, diamonds aren't "important" to me if that makes sense and at the end of the day to me it's still just a rock (I realize this is a diamond forum, so no judgement please!) and I often lose earrings. Would I be better off buying other things on my "wish list" like a Birkin bag or a diamond Cartier watch? Or give back and gift my parents a home remodel? Or continue to invest it? Or donate it to those in need?

I've considered waiting for DH to buy them for me for a milestone celebration, but that's a few years out. But, I can't stop thinking about a pair of larger diamond studs! What should I do? Do you think I'll be happy with getting 2 ctw instead of 3 ctw, and deviating from my preferred specs to optimize cost? One consideration I had was to buy a pair of higher spec lab diamonds from JA to see if they are satisfactory and if not, use their upgrade policy to buy larger mined diamonds since they will be more than 2x the cost. Thoughts?

Reactions: AV_

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Since you said 25-30k will not impact your finances then go as big and as colorless as you can get! Studs are a classic staple in a woman’s wardrobe. Size is a personal preference. I say go for it. If too big you can always return...which may be a non issue if it falls in line with the rest of your everyday jewelry.
I think I’m the only woman I know that downsized my ER and now look at me...DSS! :lol:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'd say you are decsribing a pair of GIA H SI1, with great optical symmetry / sharp patterns, shallower depth - if such exist, & very low HCA marks.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Since you said 25-30k will not impact your finances then go as big and as colorless as you can get! Studs are a classic staple in a woman’s wardrobe. Size is a personal preference. I say go for it. If too big you can always return...which may be a non issue if it falls in line with the rest of your everyday jewelry.
I think I’m the only woman I know that downsized my ER and now look at me...DSS! :lol:

My cure for DSS is to wear my 7 stone for a few days, then when I put my ER back on, it looks HUGE! :)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could also go with a vendor who has a much easier upgrade policy like WF or HPD where you don't have to spend double and can upgrade over time. This beautiful pair is 2ctw for less than $16k with the settings. Maybe you could buy the initial pair yourself and your husband could upgrade them once you reach your milestone birthday!

Platinum Setting: https://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/4-prong-basket-diamond-earrings-1352.htm#size=

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results