shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on aquamarine

samranmal

Rough_Rock
This ring keeps calling to me. Aquamarine in my birthstone and I’ve been wanting a Santa Maria (which this is being sold as). I have a couple aquas already...light blue, green blue...I’m kind of drawn to the grey blue of this stone. But is it too dark?

Looking for some thoughts/opinions. Listed at $1800, 3ct natural stone. Thanks!!

upload_2019-3-27_19-33-30.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1). Irradiated Aqua is out there and being sold as “Santa Maria,” and it can fade in color over time.
2) Synthetic aqua is very convincing as natural.
3). If the photo is accurate, that is one of the greyest aquas I’ve ever seen. I personally would prefer a more blue gem for that price. To be honest, it doesn’t even look like an aqua.

Conclusion: Buy aqua from a reputable vendor that knows his/her source very well.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s not even close to a Santa Maria, which would be fine if it were priced accordingly. The prong work looks pretty bad too. Pass for me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugely overpriced. I would pass.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert, however the stone is too dark and grey for my liking, the cutting does not thrill me, and the setting looks kind or clumsy to my untrained eyes.

I would pass, even if the price is significantly lower.

DK :))

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have guessed a tourmaline. It looks too dark to me.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
I personally don’t love it. But if you love it, I think you have some room to haggle on it. I’ve bought and sold quite a few aquas and unless they are perfectly cut/ colored they are a pretty reasonably priced stone. I would question if that is aquamarine, I’ve never seen an aqua that color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results