shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on Alexandrite ring

sterve

Rough_Rock
We’ve had this Alexandrite ring in our family for 70+ years. The last appraisal was done in the early 80’s. It is a genuine 6.5 ct Alex with two .7 ct diamonds.

Would the value remain the same from the nearly 40 year old appraisal or should I get an updated appraisal for insurance purposes?

I’m also curious about the origin of the ring. The appraisal says it is a Russian Alex from the Ural Mountains. I’d love to have someone with knowledge of Russian antiques throw me their two cents.

Video:
E0F6F714-BF57-4348-A18A-BB7EE21D3507.jpeg E5AC143C-2545-48FB-BD2C-2A409D953FB6.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'd imagine a 6.5ct alexandrite is worth quite a bit and you'd want a new appraisal or even gem lab report. there are more knowledgeable people who can give you more advice.... what a nice heirloom

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definatly get a new apprasial asap

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No appraisal without a lab report from a reputable gem lab. Most appraisers have no clue about colored gems.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
An AGL lab report that confirms the Russian origin will increase the value of this stone by thousands of dollars. Without a reputable lab report any appraisal will be worth about as much as the paper it's written on.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, what you want firstly is a reputable lab report. That can confirm origin and if Russian it certainly adds $$$$ to the value.
one thing to keep in mind is that your appraiser may not have had to value such a large Alexandrite and at such a size and rarity it might be difficult to determine a current market value.
perhaps a PSer can recommend a knowledgeable appraiser?
appraisals for insurance are all well and good, but I would be carefully treasuring the ring because in the event of “loss” it will not be easy to find another 6 carat Alexandrite!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the color accurate in your video? The diamonds are huge!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
For sure send this ring to AGL for a Prestige report, because only a lab can authenticate the stone and its origin. If it turns out to be a genuine alexandrite, then work on finding a knowledgable and reputable appraiser. There is no appraiser that can properly assess the value of the stone without a lab report. Good luck!

sterve

Rough_Rock
Is the color accurate in your video? The diamonds are huge!

The color accurately represented. The diamonds are about .75 carats each. One is VS1 in clarity, the other is VS2. Both are H-I color.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color accurately represented. The diamonds are about .75 carats each. One is VS1 in clarity, the other is VS2. Both are H-I color.

Is that the artificial lighting color? What does it look like in other lighting? Just curious. Thank you.

sterve

Rough_Rock
Watch the entire video. It shows natural and incandescent lighting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With big bucks riding on authenticity I'd insist on the most trusted lab to evaluate it.
I'd definitely send it to AGL for their most comprehensive report.
AGL is the most reputable lab for color stones that are not diamonds.
(GIA is the gold standard lab for fancy colored diamonds.)

I'd call AGL and ask them whether it needs to be removed from the setting.
If so, I would not let the stone out of my sight.
I'd stand next to the bench while it was being removed from the setting.
I'd also not just let the nearest corner jeweler do it.
I'd research to find a very competent bench.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results