shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a 1.06 carat, excellent cut, D, i1 diamond…

jobu77

Rough_Rock
I was shown a 1.06 diamond with excellent cut, D color, i1 clarity, faint fluorescence. The guy kept saying this is a beautiful stone and rare find for the price ($4350). I looked at it through a loop and saw one white feather at 5 o’clock, half of it on the table,, and I can notice it slightly when I look for it without the loup. Otherwise, the light bounces off and looks great. Is this a good deal? Or should I stay away from all I1s? Thanks.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need way more info. Who graded it? If not GIA or AGS then I wouldn't consider it. If GIA we need Specifics on cut, since GIA XXX is not enough to guarantee a well performing stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the GIA report you can post? We don't even know if its a well-cut stone. I don't think the price is all that great. Its only ok.

Any links to the stone where we can see videos?

What do you plan on doing with this stone? I probably* would not buy an I1 for an engagement ring.

jobu77

Rough_Rock
We need way more info. Who graded it? If not GIA or AGS then I wouldn't consider it. If GIA we need Specifics on cut, since GIA XXX is not enough to guarantee a well performing stone.

It’s graded by GIA. Here’s the report A0E665BA-BE6E-40A2-A399-2FB9E92542B8.jpeg

jobu77

Rough_Rock
Do you have the GIA report you can post? We don't even know if its a well-cut stone. I don't think the price is all that great. Its only ok.

Any links to the stone where we can see videos?

What do you plan on doing with this stone? I probably* would not buy an I1 for an engagement ring.

Hi I posted the GIA report below. Unfortunately I dont have video. I only have my first-hand account where I saw the feather in the loup. Irregardless, looks like I’m better off passing

jobu77

Rough_Rock
Hi I posted the GIA report below. Unfortunately I dont have video. I only have my first-hand account where I saw the feather in the loup. Irregardless, looks like I’m better off passing

7386D98B-4689-474A-8A77-F4DD5178AD9B.jpeg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D/i1 seems like a strange combo. See what else you can get for the price. Is H or I Si1 or Si2 doable?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would use the pricescope search tool instead of looking at JA, because you'll need to ask for certificates for each diamond to see if it's a good choice or not.

On the search tool, enter your budget and preferred color/clarity. Make sure you filter to only consider stones that have an HCA score of 'excellent'. That will weed out most (but not all) stones that arent well cut.

In general, we recommend sticking within these ranges to be safe.

Depth: 60-62.4
Table: 54-58
Pav angle: 40.6-40.8 ( up to 41 if crown is 34)
Crown angle: 34-35 (up to 35.5 if pav is 40.6)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. Inventory for well cut stones is low right now, and you'll be hard pressed to find something in the 1ct range and colorless for 4.5k or less (I'm estimating 500 for setting).

There are only a few options that are lower color (J), but I dont recommend going that low in color unless you know your GF would be ok with it.

jobu77

Rough_Rock
Ah if I up my budget to $5k for stone only, is that more reasonable or will I gave the same limited options? Thanks for all your help!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah if I up my budget to $5k for stone only, is that more reasonable or will I gave the same limited options? Thanks for all your help!

Looking at JA, you'll still be limited. Is 1ct necessary, or could .85 work? Or alternatively, would you consider buying from somewhere with a $1 upgradd policy so you could get something smaller now and then upgrade to 1ct later?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Options.
If you like any of them, PUT THEM ON HOLD while you ask for a copy of the report. Lurkers buy stuff we recommend all the time.

Cut on this one isnt perfect and we would need to see the report, but it has potential and hits the size you want. I color will show some tint, but not a ton.

Cut looks great, but J color so will show some tint.

My personal favorite bc the cut is nice, but again will show body color bc it's a J

Colorless, but would want to see the certificate to understand the inclusions. Also its .91

jobu77

Rough_Rock
I’m open to going slightly below one carat. I set my search criteria at .9, but if .85 is fine, I’d consider it for sure

jobu77

Rough_Rock
Your suggestions above are great! Thank you so much!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If you're open to .85 or to upgrading, I would buy this without hesitation. Super ideal cut, will look white because G color, and $1 upgrade policy. Again if this is an option PUT ON HOLD
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4361922.htm

This...100%

And their generous upgrade policy provides a wonderful avenue for an anniversary treat at any time in the future.

WolfCBI and Brian Gavin Diamonds offer super ideal cut diamonds and have generous upgrade policies, as well.

All three of these companies sell highly vetted superior precision cut quality options, which will outperform most run of the mill GIA 3X diamonds that only attain such a grading due to a little bit looser standards, tolerances, and roundings than AGS.

Just something to think over.

If you want to hit that 1 carat mark right off the bat, then we can keep assisting you in your search.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely wolf/CBI is another great option. Unfortinately nothing in OPs budget and over .85 unless looking at J/K, which I suspect he would want to avoid for now.

jobu77

Rough_Rock
So… I screwed up and left a deposit thinking it was a hold, but the guy says it’s nom-refundable. There’s no sign saying anything up front, and everything was verbal. Do I have any recourse?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So… I screwed up and left a deposit thinking it was a hold, but the guy says it’s nom-refundable. There’s no sign saying anything up front, and everything was verbal. Do I have any recourse?

Did you use a credit card? You have some protection with that if he doesn’t refund you.

Alexandra Nova

Rough_Rock
I generally like to think that 1 carat diamond is worth about $5k (price obviously varies on color and clarity). I like that it's D color under $5k, but I1 is questionable. I would ask for a better deal if you really like the diamond. There are some good I1s too. Just keep in mind, once it's in a ring, you are not going to loop it 24/7.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally like to think that 1 carat diamond is worth about $5k (price obviously varies on color and clarity). I like that it's D color under $5k, but I1 is questionable. I would ask for a better deal if you really like the diamond. There are some good I1s too. Just keep in mind, once it's in a ring, you are not going to loop it 24/7.
The one OP posted is not well cut, so it's definitely not something we would recommend. Right now, one is hard pressed to find a great cut stone that's D-G, 1ct, and 5k or less.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure you have gotten good advice on this particular diamond but I will say that I1 graded diamonds can be beautiful. My diamond pendant that I wear almost daily is an I1 grade. Its an Eightstar ideal cut diamond, the characteristics that give it the I1 grade are actually only visible from the back of the diamond so face up its completely eye clean. Because of the grade it was a steal of a deal when I bought it. So while not easy to find there are I1 diamonds out there that are not garbage. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results