shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on 3 ovals

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the last two have stronger North and South facets (i.e. more chunky) whereas the first one has a stronger 'middle band' of clear facets.

None of them seem to have a strong Bow Tie effect :)

ASET images would help determine how much leakage there is from the head-on view.

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny they are unable to do an ASET on these ovals. It sounds like the last 2 are better with chucky facets. Is there one better than the other? Thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... No ASET is annoying / makes things more difficult (although ovals generally perform not-that-great on ASET anyway... lol).

Personally speaking, I find the last two broadly similar to each other - the last might have slightly chunkier facets? But I think it's down to personal taste at this point.

Does the vendor have good Returns policies? Would you be able to order one (or both?) to assess at home and in various lighting environments?

Have you looked at the August Vintage Opulence Ovals? They are probably the best you can get in terms of light performance, although they are a bit more expensive and face up slightly smaller for a given weight due to the faceting requirements:
https://www.augustvintageinc.com/collections/opulence

If the AVOOs (haha, that sounds funny :D) don't appeal, and you're happy to post your budget and 4Cs preferences, we might be able to find you some alternative options :)

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny unfortunately the AVOO's are out of my price range. The only issue with this vendors return policy is they have a restocking fee if I return. The prices are great. One of the stones is listed on brillant earth as well. I currently have a mined oval and want to sell it and purchase a mmd. My current is 7.54x5.01 D SI1, so I'd like something a little larger by length and or width. Under $1700 is what I'm hoping for. The ones listed above are all $1500

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny unfortunately the AVOO's are out of my price range. The only issue with this vendors return policy is they have a restocking fee if I return. The prices are great. One of the stones is listed on brillant earth as well. I currently have a mined oval and want to sell it and purchase a mmd. My current is 7.54x5.01 D SI1, so I'd like something a little larger by length and or width. Under $1700 is what I'm hoping for. The ones listed above are all $1500
Apologies - I posted that comment then later realised this was the MMD forum rather than RT, lol :lol:

What is the restocking fee?

I would be tempted to see if you can source them elsewhere and avoid that sort of thing, be it BE or somewhere else - perhaps Rhino might be able to access the stone(s) you are interested in if they are available from worldwide inventory rather than being held by the vendor(s) you are currently looking at? :)

Would this be suitable?
https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/6945277/
Small inclusions that aren't too obvious, interesting facet patterning, doesn't seem to bow-tie, only 'windows' at extreme tilt angles, doesn't seem too tinted for a J?, a good 1mm of size increase in each direction, and seems to be right on-budget :)

I think the only potential issue that jumps out is the Ex Thin girdle - it might need bezelling or mounting in a setting that protects it in some other way.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I'm wondering if the first one has a bit too much 'bow-tie' - it's tilted away from the camera in the face on position, so I'm not sure if those dark facets (from obstruction) are likely to move downwards and into the very middle if it was directly head-on??

No.2 seems to have quite a wide 'central band', wider than some, but the stone is tilted towards the camera slightly, which means it's (again) difficult to ascertain head-on obstruction.

I think I personally would pick No.2 out of those, as it looks slightly chunkier (which is my preferred style in most things, lol) but I do feel that both could be better.

Not sure that helps?? lol

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny I spoke to brillant earth and they can get me ASET's on the 2 above diamonds and have a gemologist look at them and give their thoughts on bowtie, etc.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they are the two that are jumping out at you from all the rest of the stock (and don't forget that stock turns over fairly regularly, so new stuff will always be arriving) then definitely get ASETs and a gemologist's opinion on them :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts on these 2 I found? @OoohShiny They were unable to get the ASET images, but are having the gemologist view these 2.

https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7419917/

https://www.brilliantearth.com/lab-diamonds-search/view_detail/7419919/
No ASET is a bit of a pain but at least the videos are decent quality!

I think they are both 'classic' oval cuts so have that strong central band of facets, but it doesn't look like they have bow-tie from the videos. The 0.87 seems to have slightly chunkier facets to my eyes but they are pretty close. Personally I'd prefer the VS1 because I am a clarity freak :razz: but they both look pretty clean.

Which one appeals to you most? At least you have free 30 day Returns so you could assess one at home and return it if it doesn't call to you in real life :)

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny thanks I went ahead and ordered the. 87. They had it viewed and said it has no bowtie and its eyeclean. So they have a great return policy so I ordered to see it myself.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool, I hope it is to your liking when it arrives - post some pics if you're happy / able to! :))

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny I had also emailed D.NEA diamonds as well before ordering the one through brillant earth. They don't have anything colorless, but I was just sent this .90 G VS2. I am color sensitive so not sure I'd be ok with this one. What are your thoughts on this one? I attached the video and link.

http://d.neadiamonds.com/videos/WO698.mp4
https://d.neadiamonds.com/lab-created-diamonds/WO698
My phone is
old and useless :lol: Let me log on tomorrow at a proper screen and check it out! :)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny I had also emailed D.NEA diamonds as well before ordering the one through brillant earth. They don't have anything colorless, but I was just sent this .90 G VS2. I am color sensitive so not sure I'd be ok with this one. What are your thoughts on this one? I attached the video and link.

http://d.neadiamonds.com/videos/WO698.mp4
https://d.neadiamonds.com/lab-created-diamonds/WO698
Well, to my eyes it looks pretty much colourless in the video, but we must remember camera and monitor settings can lie!

I think it looks pretty decent - not really any dark bow-tie that I can see, sparkles similarly nicely to other classic ovals, and I can't really see any inclusions in the video. It might window a bit at more extreme angles (when it's facing almost entirely left and right in the video) but that's quite common.

What are your thoughts on it? Once you have the 0.87 in hand you'll have a better idea of if it hits all your targets :) and if not, you could consider this one? Alternatively, and if you have the money/credit, you could order this one to compare side by side with the 0.87.

Decisions! lol

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny I received the .87 today and unfortunately I feel the bowtie is more than what I'd like. I can post pics soon. I've been searching for awhile for this upgrade so I decided to contact Jonathan at August Vintage and hopefully he can find me something. He really has a knack for finding fancy diamonds so fingers crossed.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrsj8610

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny I did see that thread and decided to contact him right away! That oval he picked is amazing. He has already emailed me back and working on it. He said there are slim pickings but more in my range coming this week. So excited to see what he finds and to work with him!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent stuff :)

If you're not in a huge hurry, waiting to see what comes up could be the best idea! It is somewhat of a waiting game... :D lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results