shape
carat
color
clarity

This really looks like a good deal to me, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stumper81

Rough_Rock
The ring is Platinum, 3 stone setup, .83 tw for the two sidestones, and smaller ones running down the band. List was 4800, he said he could reprice it for much more given the price of platinum, and he went down to 3100 because I had wanted it in WG and it would be easier for him to give this one to me at a better price.

The stone is 1ct, I, Si2 Depth 76% and table 70%. It''s a little rectangular, but not way off <= 1.1. 2385 (it''s IGI certified, but hand picked by the jeweler, who doesn''t normally carry them).

Everything together (labor and semiannually tax, 5890 USD

what do you think? Great, good, average, bad?
First time post, I appreciate the help

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a princess cut stone?
What are the colour and clarity on the 2 side stones?
How does the center stone look to you (away from the jeweller's lighting)?
Do you have the ASET tool?
Can you see any inclusions with the naked eye (this IS an SI2)
How concerned are you about cut (how sparkly it is)?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Stumper!

Firstly, here is some info on lab reports and advice concerning IGI, here for you to read.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

Unfortunately you can't judge a Princess by the numbers so much, so you will have to decide if what you see delights your eyes, it is cut which makes a diamond beautiful. ASET tools are very useful, and you could ask your jeweller if he has one, but he may not. I would definitely suggest looking at what some of the online vendors have to offer before you pull the trigger on this ring, vendors such as www.goodoldgold.com and www.winkjones.com and www.whiteflash.com have some superbly cut Princess diamonds which are in house, and they also offer a wide variety of settings. But it depends on you, whether you want to research this route, or are content to go with this ring.

One thing, see if you can check this ring out away from the store lights, to make sure it appeals to you in more ' real life' conditions, as anything will sparkle in the store. Especially as this is an SI2 clarity, sometimes inclusions can reveal themselves in some lights more than others, so check carefully for this.

Stumper81

Rough_Rock
yes, sorry, that was unclear - it is a Princess cut. the sidestones are g-h SI

I couldn't see any inclusions, but I'm also not a professional. It was next to a vs1, with a depth of 73.5 and table 71%, and I wasn't able to tell much of a difference with my eye, other than shape, as this one was slightly rectangular, and the other was square to my eye.

Looking at my notes, rather than memory, the stone is actually EGL certified. I have the cert number, will that help?

I'd like to get in under 6000 (which almost 2months of take home pay - after 401k, employee stock purchase, insurance, taxes, etc - which in much more reasonable to me than 2months salary) would a better cut, but smaller diamond be better? It's worth noting that they have a lifetime trade up policy and will give me the exact amount paid for the stone if I want to upgrade later.

I am looking to research, not just take the first offer -- this is a big part of it. I haven't been able to find a stone or setting as nice at nearly the same price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having the cert will help to a certain extent. If you want a sparkley stone, I'd suggest this:
1. Find out if it is EGL USA, Israel, Europe or some other
2. Get ALL the stats on the cert (depth, table, girdle, crown, etc)
3. I highly suggest getting your own ASET tool.

Sorry I can't find any tutorial on princess cuts but I found one on the ASET:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-grading-system-aset-angular-spectrum-evaluation-tool.30509/

If this appears to complex, the shortcut route to a well cut sparkly stone is to find an AGS certed princess stone that is rated AGS0. I would avoid any and all EGL certs other than EGL USA because the colour and clarity grading is very lax and a G SI1 stone could very well end up a J I2 stone (and you're still paying for a G SI1) as an example.

ETA
I would much prefer a smaller well cut stone than a larger so-so stone. The well cut stone will far outshine the average one. If you are open to buying online from TRUSTED vendors, you will be able to get better pricing AND upgrades as well (without having to spend the often quoted 2x minimum). Online vendors who I have purchased from and trust are www.goodoldgold.com who has a real storefront in NY and www.whiteflash.com in Houston and www.winkjones.com in Idaho. There also more vendors but I haven't purchased from them

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2008 1:20:25 PM
Author: Chrono
Having the cert will help to a certain extent. If you want a sparkley stone, I'd suggest this:
1. Find out if it is EGL USA, Israel, Europe or some other
2. Get ALL the stats on the cert (depth, table, girdle, crown, etc)
3. I highly suggest getting your own ASET tool.

Sorry I can't find any tutorial on princess cuts but I found one on the ASET:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ags-grading-system-aset-angular-spectrum-evaluation-tool.30509/

If this appears to complex, the shortcut route to a well cut sparkly stone is to find an AGS certed princess stone that is rated AGS0. I would avoid any and all EGL certs other than EGL USA because the colour and clarity grading is very lax and a G SI1 stone could very well end up a J I2 stone (and you're still paying for a G SI1) as an example.

ETA
I would much prefer a smaller well cut stone than a larger so-so stone. The well cut stone will far outshine the average one. If you are open to buying online from TRUSTED vendors, you will be able to get better pricing AND upgrades as well (without having to spend the often quoted 2x minimum). Online vendors who I have purchased from and trust are www.goodoldgold.com who has a real storefront in NY and www.whiteflash.com in Houston and www.winkjones.com in Idaho. There also more vendors but I haven't purchased from them
I also suggest these vendors, Wink carries AGS0 Princess I believe. Also Whiteflash and GOG have some beautifully cut Princess, so it could be worthwhile contacting these vendors, tell them what you are looking for, and letting their expertise work for you by suggesting some diamonds for you. As I said previously, it is cut which gives a diamond it's beauty, so it is well worth concentrating on. It is so easy to look at some diamonds especially in jewellery stores and lose sight of how a well cut stone should look.

Also do you know which branch of EGL graded this diamond? To name some of the divisions as Chrono says, there are EGL USA, Antwerp, Israel, Europe etc.

You have the right idea in spending what you can afford, and not going by the 2 months salary ' rule.' Also in case this might ever be a consideration, some of the Pricescope vendors offer lifetime upgrade policies also, do you know how much extra you may have to spend if you bought this ring from the store and later wished to upgrade? Also I would definitely recommend going smaller if needed and by getting the best cut diamond you can.

As I said previously, Princess shapes can't be judged so much by the numbers, your own eyes and a thorough evaluation in as many lighting conditions as you can is essential wherever you buy from, online vendors offer a good inspection period. As Chrono says, if you prefer to research and look yourself, you could buy an ASET scope to take with you, so you could check diamonds out for yourself, they are quite straightforward to use.

I would definitely recommend looking at what the PS vendors have to offer before pulling the trigger on this ring.

Here is a diamond I found with a quick search as an example for you of what you could get online.

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/A-Cut-Above-Princess-cut-diamond-617013.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results