shape
carat
color
clarity

This is an Alexandrite!!!

liao

Shiny_Rock
I just picked this beauty up from GRS. GRS describes the color-changing from vivid bluish green to vivid pink! yes, both of they think both of them are vivid

These pictures were taken under mix light. As you may already know, the green spectrum of alexandrite is almost impossible to capture. I tried to take several pic under fluorescent light only, but the stone looks nearly black. This stone looks pink under incandescent light (it is as pink as a little trace of pink color on the picture above). It seems like I am a terrible photographer, I cannot even take the pic under incandescent only ;(

I think I will send this stone to Gubelin or AGL. Honestly, I prefer SSEF for alexandrite, but I no longer live in eu :errrr:

img_20141122_162917.jpg

img_20141122_162943.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liao|1416800319|3789330 said:
I think I will send this stone to Gubelin or AGL. Honestly, I prefer SSEF for alexandrite, but I no longer live in eu :errrr:

AGL

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have the weight and the orign??

Looks really nice - it is funny but a bit like my east african CCG!

A larger pic would be nice!!

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1416805983|3789375 said:
Do you have the weight and the orign??

Looks really nice - it is funny but a bit like my east african CCG!

A larger pic would be nice!!

2.19ct. The seller claims this is a Tanzanian alexandrite, but GRS cannot conclude its origin.

Do you mind sharing the pic of the color change garnet you are talking about? :naughty: Technically, both alexandrite and color change garnet have a wide range of color. So, I am not surprise if there exist color change garnet that rival the finest alexandrite, vice versa. The problem is, most of color change garnet is much darker than alexandrite.

I will try to take more pics once I return.

Btw, do you have an suggestion about the set up and/or ring design? as you can see from the picture, this alex has a small annoying window. I do not usually buy a stone with window, but the color change is tempting :bigsmile:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Which size is it - think the box is 3 cm so I guess it is 7 x 6 mm?? Am I right?? :)

The report would be nice!! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That bit of pink flash is indeed vivid. Looking forward to what the lab of your choice thinks it is.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1416818173|3789410 said:
Which size is it - think the box is 3 cm so I guess it is 7 x 6 mm?? Am I right?? :)

The report would be nice!! :appl:

really close! 7.90x6.89x4.40 mm. I cannot post the report online, because I have a bad experience with it :sick:

Chrono|1416834493|3789458 said:
That bit of pink flash is indeed vivid. Looking forward to what the lab of your choice thinks it is.

I tried to take a better pic; unfortunately, this alex is extremely introvert or I am a crappy photographer. Perhaps the latter one. However, the stone looks as pink as that tiny pink flash under incandescent light, and it also has a minimal extinction :bigsmile: I do not know why, but I had rather send this alex to Gubelin than AGL :wall:

btw, does any of you have any idea on the setting for this stone? That small window worried me :errrr:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What happened with the report fiasco? Did someone steal the picture and try to sell a stone using the stolen report picture?

Does the window seem to disappear when you put the alex between two fingers on the back of your hand? If so, no worries about the window looking obvious once set. I like open settings for colour changing stones to allow it to shift/change more quickly, easily and completely.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
With that dark tone and vivid pink flash it must be Brazilian, top quality too.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1416847777|3789570 said:
What happened with the report fiasco? Did someone steal the picture and try to sell a stone using the stolen report picture?

Does the window seem to disappear when you put the alex between two fingers on the back of your hand? If so, no worries about the window looking obvious once set. I like open settings for colour changing stones to allow it to shift/change more quickly, easily and completely.

they either steal the picture or somehow make 99% similar cert. I do not even know how they do the latter one. the window is not disappear when I put the stone between two finger :(sad

GregS|1416848876|3789583 said:
With that dark tone and vivid pink flash it must be Brazilian, top quality too.

The seller claims that this alex is tanzanian origin. I do not really care about the origin of alex, except for russian one. The seller is one of vendor that I trust the most when it come to alexandrite (it is not MC :bigsmile: I do not really like MC, because their stone is quite overpriced. This stone better in term of color change than the 19.8k alex listed on MC site, but I got it cheaper). The tone of this stone is not as dark as the one on the picture.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I really don't think the window is an issue since it has a strong, dramatic colour change with great colours both ways (most important thing). The up-side of a shallow gem is larger face up :wink2:

Oh, so you're planning on setting it? A man's ring or something else?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I think, Multicolorgems is not overpriced. I know no other vendor who offers fine brazilian alexandrite.

They have cheaper alex too - so you can get what you want. Some are really interesting for me.

I am sorry to hear that you had bad experience with posting a report....

What is wrong with a GRS report? Think it is a good lab..

liao

Shiny_Rock
LoversKites|1416859816|3789692 said:
I really don't think the window is an issue since it has a strong, dramatic colour change with great colours both ways (most important thing). The up-side of a shallow gem is larger face up :wink2:

this is exactly my problem. When dealing with alexandrite, I am picky as hell :errrr:

As for the setting, it is a man's ring that I am going to wear everyday. In fact, it is going to replace my old alex ring that broke several months ago (it is a regular ring with several diamond around it). I am thinking to put two 0.51 and 0.55ct pear shape alexandrite with the similar color change as a side stone (I found these two pear from the same seller I bought the alex above, but I have not purchased them). I am not sure how great the ring will look, and I am not familiar with any jewelry designer.

Marlow|1416861414|3789714 said:
I think, Multicolorgems is not overpriced. I know no other vendor who offers fine brazilian alexandrite.

They have cheaper alex too - so you can get what you want. Some are really interesting for me.

I am sorry to hear that you had bad experience with posting a report....

What is wrong with a GRS report? Think it is a good lab..

The only positive side of MC is the fact that they have tons of alex in their inventory. Unfortunately, I think their stones are 10-30% more expensive than some other dealers that I know. if you looks at MC's current listing, there's a 19.8k alex. In term of color change, my alex above is better than that 19.8k alex, and my alex above cost 19.71k. Both of them also have the same eye clean clarity, but MC's alex has way better cutting than mine. The question is, will you sacrifice the color change for cutting and darker-less saturated stone?

There is nothing wrong with GRS report, but I prefer Gubelin and SSEF. (in term of alexandrite, I prefer SSEF)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
liao|1416863094|3789738 said:
LoversKites|1416859816|3789692 said:

this is exactly my problem. When dealing with alexandrite, I am picky as hell :errrr:

As for the setting, it is a man's ring that I am going to wear everyday. In fact, it is going to replace my old alex ring that broke several months ago (it is a regular ring with several diamond around it). I am thinking to put two 0.51 and 0.55ct pear shape alexandrite with the similar color change as a side stone (I found these two pear from the same seller I bought the alex above, but I have not purchased them). I am not sure how great the ring will look, and I am not familiar with any jewelry designer.

Well, if it really bothers you that much you could return it and keep on looking.

Adding diamonds would definitely provide contrast (the alex's darker colours against white sparky diamonds), but your 3 stone alex idea sounds interesting. You should start a new thread specific for the setting, you'll get more feedback about design, designers and whatnot. I'm hopeless when it comes to settings but I think, as Chrono said, the general direction should be an open setting to avoid darkening the alexandrite and to allow in as much light as possible to get the most colour and colour change.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Need much much better pics to compare your gem and the MC alexandrite.

In fine alexandrite of course first color and color change then color and color change then clarity - cutting - o.k. - I can live with a window too ( your "window" is - sorry - ridiculous small ) .

The price of MC gems - well, this is internet buiness - do you really believe I would pay what many vendor here want for their gems ? :naughty:

At the moment I stopped purchasing gems via internet ( except the small chrome titanite). Only extremely rare gems are maybe interessting.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1416865644|3789786 said:
Need much much better pics to compare your gem and the MC alexandrite.

In fine alexandrite of course first color and color change then color and color change then clarity - cutting - o.k. - I can live with a window too ( your "window" is - sorry - ridiculous small ) .

The price of MC gems - well, this is internet buiness - do you really believe I would pay what many vendor here want for their gems ? :naughty:

At the moment I stopped purchasing gems via internet ( except the small chrome titanite). Only extremely rare gems are maybe interessting.

yeah, that windows is kinda small, that is why I purchase the stone. I do not think I will return it, but the window still annoy me :-o The stone from MC looks like Siberian amethyst under incandescent light than vivid pink. Well, I believe an expert like you will not pay the asking price, but I bet many other PS members will.

Sorry for the pic, I would blame the family for being too shy in front of camera :bigsmile:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Have many shows around and don't live in FARFARAWAY. So it is easy for me.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Hey Marlow, help me! :naughty:

I asked my friend (he is a faculty in one of university in singapore) to run a x-ray fluorescent test on this alex and I got these result:
V2O3 = 0.03 wt%
Fe2O3 = 0.22 wt%

do you think this number is weird for a tanzanian alex? The V2O3 content is higher than any tanzanian alex I have ever dealt, and the Fe2O3 content is much lower than any tanzanian alex I have ever dealt.

The Cr2O3 is within range (0.79 wt%)

have I gone mad? :errrr:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'll bite:

"Well, I believe an expert like you (Marlow) will not pay the asking price, but I bet many other PS members will."

Laio, I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing for you to push 'what you paid' in the face of others, rather than share the happiness of buying the stone you want? Frankly, I don't care what you paid.......

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Ähhhhh

EDXRF spectroscopy ( I have to edit this - you can get the amount but LA-ICP-MS is much better!)

V,Cr and Fe is in the range of Lake Manyara/TAN Alexandrite - Hematita has a much higher Iron content, Malacacheta too!

My brazilian red chrysoberyl ( Malacacheta) has an average Cr content of 1,54 % ( 1,36-2,23 %) and an extremely low V content (0,02%) but
Iron is 0,60%. The Hematita compared with my stone with a strong CC has Cr ( 0,63%) , V (0,02%) but 1,13 % average Iron!!

So think your stone is really in the Tansania - Lake Manyara range. Russian would be possible too but ( my personal opinion) I think that many "russian stones" are from other sources - you need the Germanium content for a russian Alex.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
digdeep|1416950615|3790417 said:
I'll bite:

"Well, I believe an expert like you (Marlow) will not pay the asking price, but I bet many other PS members will."

Laio, I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing for you to push 'what you paid' in the face of others, rather than share the happiness of buying the stone you want? Frankly, I don't care what you paid.......

Actually I find discussion of price useful. It is good to know that what I as a consumer might perceive as a 'great value' relative to the other internet sources of gems I might frequent, is not necessarily considered great value by others with more experience of a greater pool of vendors. Also it is not unreasonable to point out that someone with years of vast gem knowledge and purchasing would pay less than the average forum consumer. Again a useful reminder to someone like me to be patient when seeking a gem and to look beyond the more readily available sources.

What is unnecessary though is the sly dig of 'not sure if it's a cultural thing'.

We all enjoy different aspects of the gem hunt - for some it's the beauty of the stone, for some it is more to do with the 'good value' of the stone and the forum is a place where hopefully an OP can trumpet or dissect whichever aspects of their purchase they wish without having their choices maligned under the perniciously inappropriate guise of 'a cultural thing'.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That was not a "dig"......it was an honest question. Perhaps you can explain why you think it was a 'dig' and then threw a verbose spear at someone you don't know.
It isn't "polite" to say "I can get a good price, but you can't......." Do you disagree? I don't mind price sharing if it's done respectfully. The comment made was not meant to include people, rather to exclude 'everyone else'............. and that is the point. It isn't about the price as much as the context expressed--- "I can get a good price, but you can't........" I've never seen anyone else say that on this forum, and I don't expect to see anyone else say it...............it's online etiquette in it's simplest form.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
I do disagree. I read the comments of Liao and Marlow, whose exchanges I enjoy like I enjoy those between LD, Chrono and TL to name but a few (as they are verbally sparring, in a good way, with greater knowledge and gem-buying histories than the average PS-er) as that Liao and Marlow do not pay what the average PS-er pays for a stone, and they would not. And nor should they. Not to exclude anyone, but because they have been learning about and buying gems for many years, have contacts that take years to make, possibly histories with sellers so that they get discounts or first dibs, because they have seen prices rise and fall and know when to wait or buy, and so on.

I was pleased to be privy to this exchange, because it is a little window (no pun intended!) on the world of the serious gem collector, and puts my own buying and collecting into greater perspective.

If you felt differently of course you have every right to say. The verbal 'spear' I objected to was the preface 'I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing for you'. Accusing someone of a breach of etiquette/expressing something in a disrespectful manner is one thing (and I disagree that they did), but to preface it with that statement I found distasteful to say the least.

Anyhow, I've made my point and for my part won't be diverting the discussion any further away from Liao's incredible Alexandrite.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Coralfish I'm glad you responded with more information about your views. I did NOT indict Marlow and Laio for anything related to the gems they collect, their experience, etc. My comment was directed at one statement made by Laio. We will just agree to disagree. To each his own.........

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
digdeep|1416967527|3790555 said:
Coralfish I'm glad you responded with more information about your views. I did NOT indict Marlow and Laio for anything related to the gems they collect, their experience, etc. My comment was directed at one statement made by Laio. We will just agree to disagree. To each his own.........

I am with you on this one digdeep. I mean in respected CS vendors list, we do not divvy vendors in overpriced or fair price categories vendors. But of course "cultural thing" usage can be swapped with "personal thing" to be more accurate. :lol:

I hope no hard feelings here, just a matter of opinion. ;))

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1416952784|3790434 said:
Ähhhhh

EDXRF spectroscopy ( I have to edit this - you can get the amount but LA-ICP-MS is much better!)

V,Cr and Fe is in the range of Lake Manyara/TAN Alexandrite - Hematita has a much higher Iron content, Malacacheta too!

My brazilian red chrysoberyl ( Malacacheta) has an average Cr content of 1,54 % ( 1,36-2,23 %) and an extremely low V content (0,02%) but
Iron is 0,60%. The Hematita compared with my stone with a strong CC has Cr ( 0,63%) , V (0,02%) but 1,13 % average Iron!!

So think your stone is really in the Tansania - Lake Manyara range. Russian would be possible too but ( my personal opinion) I think that many "russian stones" are from other sources - you need the Germanium content for a russian Alex.

what is LA-ICP-MS? is this a new generation of XRF? I feels like dinosaur :bigsmile:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think germanium can be measured with XRF test. Beside, this stone is too clean to be a russian alex.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1416970297|3790567 said:
digdeep|1416967527|3790555 said:

I am with you on this one digdeep. I mean in respected CS vendors list, we do not divvy vendors in overpriced or fair price categories vendors. But of course "cultural thing" usage can be swapped with "personal thing" to be more accurate. :lol:

I hope no hard feelings here, just a matter of opinion. ;))

Thank you eastjavaman............I wish I'd used "personal thing" instead of "cultural thing" and appreciate your feedback. The words I used were a distraction from the point I was trying to make. :wall:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Please google LA-ICP- MS. To difficult to explain it in english ( for me)

You are right, Ge amount you need LA-ICP-MS - they make several "shot" on the gem ( the laser drills a tiny hole - you cannot see it)
and extremely small amounts can be detected.

Again - we need larger and better pics!!! :D
----

Digdeep,

I understand you - it was a bit like a chat between me and liao - pricing of MC and what I am willed to pay for a gem.
If it was a arrogant I apologize but I have an excellent situation here - more gemshows then money to spend.

Many here live far away from shows and need the internet - so sometimes the prices are higher - in a show the vendor needs to sell - hotel, gas, the fee for the show.... - so you can deal - I normally pay what they ask if the price is fair - and often you get an discount.

I need these shows so I "support" vendors I like very much. But this is an educational forum and the price is also important lke a window or the color. You see I link of vendors here which I believe that they offer fair prices and qualities - like MC....

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Marlow, Nothing you said came off as arrogant to me....... :angel:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Liao,

I am a bit confused - the iron content is extremely low - I checked the Lake Manyara article and the iron content should be much higher...

I will check other sources - maybe I will get more informations

Is the stone eyeclean?? Is the stone twinned (Extreme twinning the stone looks in daylight a bit "bicolored")?

Think you still have no dichroscope :D !!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results