shape
carat
color
clarity

Third time's a charm

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love jewelry and gems. All jewelry and all gems. Even synthetics can be very nice.
@pokerface, you made me crazy for a minute there! But I'm better now.
Agree to disagree!;)2

S

Shiny Black Cat

This is tricky, because I understand where some members (and the mods) are coming from. If there's a reasonable expectation that a gem is synthetic, then, according to PS rules, it would be precluded from this forum. Otherwise, we'd be overrun with created, synthetic, or simulant stones, and I don't think that is the mission of this forum. However, it's true that we don't know for sure either way, and I always want to err on the side of inclusivity. Now, OP did ask for opinions, and honest ones should always be given, respected, and accepted. But simply put, I'm a big believer in an open arms policy. Maybe OP's pink stones are natural sapphire, maybe they're CZ. I have no idea. But it clearly brings her joy to share her gems, and that's good enough for me. :)

l like to ask questions, if something is obvious for experts, for me it is new, thank you.:)

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I personally dislike the term 'fashion jewelry'. Costume jewelry yes, but 'fashion' kind of makes it sound fleeting and disposable like fast-fashion. Actually, a lot of vintage costume jewellery is very well made, looks great decades later, and some very expensive. Chanel gripoix pieces can be as expensive than the equivalent made of natural gemstones. I know it's just a US vs UK terminology but...

I also can't get my head around the costume jewellery + lab stones together categorisation. Lab stones are not really costume jewellery, and are typically set in precious metals, and commonly in combination with natural gems.

It would make more sense for there to be a costume jewellery section (for metal/glass/plastic/paste stone made items), and CS section that includes both lab and natural stones, with lab stone threads having a header Lab Stones or something like that to differentiate them from natural stone threads. It's also true that the CS section has far more activity than the fashion section, which sadly means that lab stones get buried in the fashion section by this separation.

Also, discussions about lab and natural stones are not easily separatable, with a lot of people suggesting a lab stone as an alternative depending on people's budgets, in respose to finding stones etc.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
There is nothing wrong with silver or synthetics, they just do not belong in THIS forum. I like silver myself and have plenty of silver pieces but unless they are from the Victorian period, pretty much all vintage silver is costume jewelry. Gems and jewelry on this forum do not need to be branded, or cost millions of dollars, but the forum is designed for people discussing natural gems that hold some value. Your posts are not getting traction because even though items like smoky quartz or labradorite are natural gems, they are quite inexpensive and commonly used in costume jewelry. Again, these kinds of gems can be attractive, sentimental and enjoyable, but that does not make them appropriate topics for THIS forum. I hate to put a number on it because it's not that simple, but gems worth under $50 or $100 in resale value are really just not candidates for this forum when there is a costume jewelry thread. Even if a piece is worth a few hundred dollars in gold, if the stone itself holds no value, the piece is not appropriate for this forum. PS is home to a variety of people with a range of disposable income levels. There is a lot of middle ground between gold plate and glass and a $1M Harry Winston ring being auctioned at Sotheby's, and that's where the majority of us are. I believe there is a rule against naming other forums but if you do some research, I'm sure you could find a place with more like-minded collectors.

I don't think we should judge a stone species simply based on value. Amethyst was once a cardinal stone (or is it still?), rubies were once referred to collectively as carbuncle, and as we all know spinels and rubies were once considered the same stone...and look where we are now.

Amethysts are no longer the expensive precious stones they once were due to large deposits being found in Brazil, rubies are definitely way more expensive than almadine garnets, spinels were also a lot lot cheaper before but now are getting more and more expensive and no longer the poorer counsin of ruby...

EDIT: HOWEVER, I respect your views @pokerface, and if you ever find yourself troubled with some unwanted silver/non-so-high value gems, I would like to offer to take them off you for FREE, no charge at all :D

Last edited:
S

Shiny Black Cat

I really don't want to argue. *edited to remove my error*

Here is another article: https://www.afashionblog.com/costume-jewelry/ and another quote: "During the era of World War II, sterling silver was incorporated into most of the costume jewelry designs...With the use of sterling silver as the new base metal for costume jewelry, sterling silver slowly turned into one of the staple metals used in costume jewelry."

I am not trying to pick a fight or get into a big discussion of is silver costume or what is costume vs fashion jewelry. I tried to respond to OP kindly but I think maybe my tone and intent is being lost over the internet. I am small potatoes compared to most people on PS and I do not wish to deter fellow colored stone enthusiasts.

Without intention to start a discussion, l am sorry but I noticed that some parts of your posts go beyond discussion about gems and jewelry and becoming personal. The last example is your advice where to find like-minded collectors??? Not to mention the beginning of our acquaintance. I. don't believe the essence of a post can be lost over the internet.

S

Shiny Black Cat

Natural Alexandrite colour change 100% one of my first faceted stones, l haven't posted it earlier. When l got this stone, the crown was damaged. maybe my mission is to save damaged stones. The cut isn't perfect, but the cutter decided to retain maximum weight. There is no problem capturing colour in photos. It's green bluish in day and LED light, red purple in incandescent candle light, glows red in black light.. I posted my synthetics colour change Corundum and colour change glass in FF jewelry section to show their colour change in comparison with Alexandrite. Just sharing, not asking for evaluation. Maybe will be interesting to someone. IMG_20220502_104505_HDR.jpg IMG_20220501_141819_HDR.jpg IMG_20210813_201834.jpg IMG_20220401_225932_HDR.jpg IMG_20220502_105510_HDR.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results