shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking of switching settings after only 6 months ... UGH!

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I think I'm the most indecisive person on the planet. Seriously. After working on my upgrade for almost a year, and having the completed ring for only 6 months or so, I'm thinking about changing settings already. Ugh.

My current stone is a lovely 3.23 carat MRB. (As background, I wore and then returned a 4 carat OEC for several months immediately prior. Before that, my original e-ring was a 2 carat cushion in an LM halo setting.) After much debate, I decided to set the MRB in a gorgeous 5 stone setting by CvB/LAD (who were AWESOME) with traps and bullet side stones. The ring is absolutely beautiful and the workmanship is flawless. BUT. I was not prepared for the fact that the 5 stone setting takes something away from the center diamond, to me at least. Compared with the 4 carat OEC solitaire and even the 2 carat halo ring I had prior, there is just much less POP or WOW factor from the center stone, which has been bothering me. A lot. Maybe wearing a 4 carat diamond around for a few months has just ruined me, I'm not sure. The diamond is also currently set rather low, which is great for daily wear but might contribute to the issue. What I do know is that I want to find a way to better emphasize the center diamond.

Any 3 or 5 stone owners out there who felt similarly? Does anyone think setting it as a solitaire might help? It's counterintuitive a bit, but I always feel that the Tiffany style solitaires make diamonds seem larger/more on display that a 3 or 5 stone ring does. If you went from a 3/5 stone to a solitaire, I'd be interested to hear your experience.

Alternately, maybe I need to go back to a halo. I've considered the VC Emilya - but was a little wary of the day to day wear and tear on the pave. And I prefer the "idea" of a solitaire to a halo setting, since I've already done the latter.

It's a dilemma. Thoughts/advice appreciated!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Thinking of switching settings after only 6 months ... U

I have a suggestion - why not change to a solitaire with the remaining 4 stones set in a wrap so that you can switch back and forth between the two looks?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love your 5 stone setting. It's beautiful and well-proportioned. A 5 stone gives a flowy transition from shank to center stone vs the pop of solitaire. I agree that a large stone set against thin shank does make it stand out more. A halo would give you a wow factor by increasing the bling factor. You should also consider an enhancer a la Bliss's 3 stone.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Veltiesmom NOOOOO!!!!!!! I LOVEEEE your ring!!!!

That said- I waited for years to have a cushion in a VC Emilya and literally every two months I am like...what if I had a solitaire. What if I set it with french cuts. What if it was in rose gold... :wall: :wall: :wall:

I swears its a function of PS. You see so much stuff it messes with your head.

If you really feel bothered I second Pinto in that a really well made enhancer may work- maybe CVB can make it for you and repurpose your stones so you will still have these beautiful proportions, rather than starting totally from scratch? Her new solitaire settings are just beyond beautiful.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I looked at your original post and your ring is amazing. It is an incredible setting and the proportion/size of the side stones complements and enhances the center stone, doesn't take away from it at all. If I was you I wouldn't touch it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG. NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

You literally have my dream setting.

Of course it's not about me.

But OMG. That setting is perfection.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean|1478802886|4096442 said:
I have a suggestion - why not change to a solitaire with the remaining 4 stones set in a wrap so that you can switch back and forth between the two looks?

First of all, I LOVE YOUR CVB SETTING!!!!!! But if you truly think you want a soli, then PB's idea is the best of both worlds.

...and, yes, I feel a plain solitaire makes the diamond pop more than any other setting! (I even think a wedding band with diamonds makes a solitaire look "smaller" compared to a plain metal band... weird!) :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Go back and look at your post of the new five stone setting. Compare the look of the new setting with the ones that had your diamond in a temporary setting. I am hard pressed to see that this setting in any way diminishes the pop of the center stone. In the temporary holder, your diamond sets up much higher than it does when set and even then I don't see any real difference.

The sides stones are much smaller and rounded down the finger so I truly don't see how you might think they take away from the center stone. I think it is a beautiful and elegant setting; unless you want to upgrade to a much larger center stone and set it as a solitaire I don't think you would would be happy with any other change you could make with this stone.

Beauty is not always about size IMO. Beauty is about a stunning stone showcased in such a way to draw out its attributes. I think you have achieved this. However, it is your ring and you need to be happy with it. Before I went to the expense of changing settings, I would do some real soul searching regarding what it truly is you want in a ring. If it is size, you might want to rethink the stone first and concentrate on the setting later.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1478819163|4096584 said:
PintoBean|1478802886|4096442 said:

First of all, I LOVE YOUR CVB SETTING!!!!!! But if you truly think you want a soli, then PB's idea is the best of both worlds.

...and, yes, I feel a plain solitaire makes the diamond pop more than any other setting! (I even think a wedding band with diamonds makes a solitaire look "smaller" compared to a plain metal band... weird!) :))

Actually, I don't think this is weird at all. Every time I see someone with a solitaire ring and a plan wedding band I am awestruck. I really prefer the look if the shank of the engagement ring and the wedding band are the same thickness. I'm not personally rocking this look for myself right now but it is tempting I must say. In those sets, the diamond is the real star! I guess perhaps that is the way the diamond engagement ring came into vogue with a plain wedding band - it is still a timeless, classic look IMO!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

if you dont want it sell it someone will want it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Welcome to my world! You can search all my threads and get an idea of how non commital I have been about my settings. I have tried almost every look out there and have never been satisfied for longer than 6 months. At the 3 month mark, my eyes begin to wander. I start to covet different styles, only to realize within a few months that I want a different look. One of the reasons that I don't drop thousands of dollars on a designer setting is Bc I know myself. It's not the setting--it's me. I have the resources to replace settings quickly and I do. Many might think that I'm being wasteful of money, but they don't understand the high that I feel every time I get a new setting! It's harmless fun! Like buying high-end handbags for some people, or designer anything. I fully admit that I'm a serial resetter and have no qualms! Life is too short for one setting! So go for it and enjoy the process. Maybe keep your gorgeous setting in case you have a change of heart. But if it's truly only the appearance of the size that is bothering you, think twice. I have tried solitaires before and I never quite like how they look on me. They look beautiful on the fingers of others, but I can never appreciate them on my finger. Try having another person wear your ring and you will appreciate how big the stone really is!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP, After reading the post which starts this thread (and not recalling your ring) I (incorrectly) assumed that the side stones in your setting were of larger proportions and yes, I have seen rings where the side stones outshone the center or rather kind of blended the stones all together so that the center stone didn't stand out. Having just looked up your post showing this ring, I have to say, I think the proportions of the side stones are perfect, quite understated, and the center stone is definitely the star. And your ring is absolutely gorgeous.
Maybe you need to decide if its actually the setting or if you are, like Nala, a serial resetter. There is nothing wrong with that, but it sounds like if you are, you won't be content with any setting for too long and you may just have to accept that as Nala has. And then figure out if what you should do is avoid expensive custom settings for something more reasonable so you don't feel any guilt about the continued resetting. I would figure this all out, before I made a move to do a reset. Just my two cents.

austinj

Shiny_Rock

I just looked up your ring as well and all I could think was "side stones?? What side stones?? " lol. Your ring is EPIC. And I really hate using that word but it fits :love:

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Wow, I'm really touched by all of your kind words! Thank you, thank you for your kindness. You've really given me something to think about. :halo:

What's that old saying about happiness = wanting what you have?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Veltiesmom|1478846044|4096831 said:
Wow, I'm really touched by all of your kind words! Thank you, thank you for your kindness. You've really given me something to think about. :halo:

What's that old saying about happiness = wanting what you have?

Veltiesmom, I love your ring and think the proportions are perfect. And yes that saying is true.

But also remember this bling decision isn't a life or death decision so don't stress too much (believe me I get stressing about bling oh the stories I could share) and when it comes right down to it no matter your decision about this (for now) as long as you love your dh and the life you have together you can change the bling all you want (as long as you can afford to financially that is). So truly there are no irrevocable horrible mistakes you can make regarding bling IMO. You have a loving supportive relationship and that is what matters.

The bling is just the icing on the cake! And oh what gorgeous delicious icing it is! :love:

PS And you are so NOT the most indecisive person on the planet regarding bling decisions. LOL have you met your fellow (including me!) PSers? :lol:

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock

Maybe you should have more than one ring. It seems you like several different styles, and you get a little bored of wearing the same ring every day, so rather than constantly changing up your setting, it might just be better to add another ring. If you like colored stones that would be a more inexpensive way to add more styles too.

P

PierreBear

nyquestioner|1478868213|4096883 said:
Maybe you should have more than one ring. It seems you like several different styles, and you get a little bored of wearing the same ring every day, so rather than constantly changing up your setting, it might just be better to add another ring. If you like colored stones that would be a more inexpensive way to add more styles too.

I second this comment! I realized that over the course of time that tastes may change or you might want a different look. I would only replace it if you absolutely dislike your current one and don't want to wear it. There is much beauty in your current ring! So unique and tasteful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

PierreBear|1478874482|4096929 said:

I second this comment! I realized that over the course of time that tastes may change or you might want a different look. I would only replace it if you absolutely dislike your current one and don't want to wear it. There is much beauty in your current ring! So unique and tasteful!

This, totally!

I am now working on a second diamond ring with CVB. I have my AVR in a solitaire, and the new one will have side stones. I am preplanning my next one, and it will have a halo. :lol:

I really love your current ring. I'd be planning for a big OEC in a solitaire setting for another anniversary, if I were you!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sometimes you've got to wear a ring for a while to know if it isn't for you. I think you're right that multi-stone rings don't make the center stone pop when they're all the same color. It's contrast that makes center stones pop - my sapphire with white diamonds on my pale skin pops a lot because of the contrast, in a way that even a diamond solitaire doesn't. Meanwhile my SIL who is has a dark tan has a solitaire that pops a lot because it contrasts with her skin. Visual impact isn't just about size and sparkle but also about the ease by which you can distinguish a stone from its surroundings - and it sounds like you like a stone that is more easily distinguished.

Of course - I also think there are some people for whom "one engagement ring to rule them all" isn't really the way to go. I know I am one of them. I have my primary engagement ring and A LOT of other rings I wear on that finger or on my right hand. If you find yourself always growing tired of your rings, perhaps that is the way to go? Of course, you probably can't have ALL big diamonds but it could be something to consider if you think there maybe isn't one forever setting for you. I know if I wear my e-ring every day I start to think it looks small and get tired of it, but if I switch to another ring for a few days I am happy with my e-ring again.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your setting is such a dream setting!!! Will it help if you do not wear the ring for a week and then see if you fall in love again? It has such stunning proportions.

I can so relate to your story! I have been a serial setting my OEC 3 times (and that's excluding the original art deco setting it was in). My OEC is now in a french cut setting from Victor that I love every day.

Having some colored stone rings might help :lol:

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Veltiesmom!

Add me to list that thinks your CVB setting is gorgeous! However, I did go from a 3 stone to a solitaire, so I have been exactly where you are!!!

I upgraded my diamond to a 3.25ct MRB 3 ½ years ago and had it set into a Steven Kirsch handforged 3 stone ring with pear sidestones. While it was definitely a beautiful setting, I was always bothered by how LOW set it was! I knew that from day 1! Ugh! I kind of stumbled across the solitaire concept while helping a friend find an engagement ring for his girlfriend. I had NEVER even considered one, but I was quite surprised that I really, really liked it! I couldn’t let the solitaire out of me head!!! I finally realized that I appreciated how a solitaire lets the stone shine and the sidestones were distracting…for me anyway.

I definitely didn’t want to rush into a reset because I wanted to make sure that I really wanted a solitaire. I held off 3 years before I made the decision to go for it! And you know what made me make that decision??? I finally tried on the traditional Tiffany’s 6 prong solitaire in a 2.5ct MRB. Oh my… I was in LOVE!!!!

So…I had it reset almost 6 months ago into a solitaire and I can tell you that I still adore my solitaire! I never felt that way with my SK setting! Being an avid PS reader, I certainly won’t say this is my forever ring! LOL! But, I do honestly feel that right now! BTW, I had it set ~2mm higher than the height of my diamond. My SK ring was set ~1mm higher than the diamond height. It is amazing how much 1 mm made a difference for me!

I also have a 2.3ct. MRB in a halo and that poor ring is getting no attention now that I have my solitaire!!! It definitely has more of a bling factor than my solitaire, but I love how my stone pops in the solitaire!!

My advice…take it slow!!!! And be honest with yourself!! I always thought a solitaire was boring so I never gave it a chance. I wanted unique!! Well, now I understand why everyone wants a copy of the Tiffany solitaire!!! Either way, you have a beautiful ring right now and 99.9% of people would die for it! But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so you just need to figure out what that means to you!

Link to my 3 stone setting:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ch-3-stone-ring-with-pear-side-stones.189157/

Link to my solitaire:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-engaged-solitaire-3-stone-ring-studs.224433/

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes! I love switching between my three. Two are halos and one is a solitaire.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1478875398|4096936 said:
PierreBear|1478874482|4096929 said:

This, totally!

I am now working on a second diamond ring with CVB. I have my AVR in a solitaire, and the new one will have side stones. I am preplanning my next one, and it will have a halo. :lol:

I really love your current ring. I'd be planning for a big OEC in a solitaire setting for another anniversary, if I were you!

Ummmmmm not trying to threadjack but DS I have seen you allude to this new CVB piece in a few threads and I am dyiingggggggggg of curiosity! can you start a new thread with details??!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don't think the side stones detract or distract from the center stone. But having owned a GIA 3X that always looked "bland" and "watery" to me because it lacked the bold black & white contrast that I got in my upgrade diamond: Maybe the center stone just doesn't hit the ball out of the park? (It's just a thought. But I enjoy my upgraded diamond far more than that first one that I bought, which actually never got set and was kept in the safe for about 3 years before I finally admitted that I never loved it. LOL)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dollyanjuli|1478979029|4097522 said:
diamondseeker2006|1478875398|4096936 said:

Ummmmmm not trying to threadjack but DS I have seen you allude to this new CVB piece in a few threads and I am dyiingggggggggg of curiosity! can you start a new thread with details??!

Sorry I just now saw this, Dolly, and I don't have much to say yet! It's an antique stone and we were waiting on 2 little french cuts to be custom cut for sides before she can finalize the design and have the bench start. We are almost ready and I am hoping it will be ready before Christmas! I'll let the rest be a surprise as it is a new design for Caysie. I fell in love with Queenie and LadyMCh's rings because I have been looking for a light yellow diamond myself, and a ring similar to theirs is on my project list for 2017! (I am trying to do my diamond projects while diamond prices are low!) You are so sweet to be interested, and hopefully by late December I will have something to post! :wavey:

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

Thanks so much to everyone for their helpful responses. I've spent the past couple of days looking carefully at the ring and soul-searching and being HONEST with myself. And I think .... 1) the ring is gorgeous, but 2) my heart really wants a 10mm stone. Oy. That may sound silly and nitpicky but I think that's where I'm at. I wore than darn 10mm OEC around for too many months, I think.

The challenge is how to make that happen. The current ring truly is gorgeous and I'm not totally insane to the extent that I'd take a huge loss on it just to upgrade 6 months after I bought it. I'm considering consigning with Erika or Grace in the hopes that someone who wants a completed ring might snap it up during the holiday season. I'd take a loss of course, but hopefully less so than dismantling the ring and selling the stone wholesale. But I just can't decide if the consignment route is a waste of time/money. It's a high ticket item and the uncertainty of when/if/for how much it would sell is a lot to bite off at this point. (And being honest, it would be so hard for me to be without an e-ring for 4/6/9 months while I'm waiting!).

The alternative is sticking with the center stone and trying a different setting to see if that does it for me (or at least does it for a while until I can upgrade). (Tweeter - I hear you on that Tiffany solitaire! I never was interested either and then tried one on recently and was like, WOAH! And I also think my current setting is very low which makes it wearable but ... makes the diamond less noticeable perhaps??)

So, in short, I'm kind of stuck in decisional paralysis! :wall: Help!

(ETA - Tweeter, just checked out your rings and I'm so inspired! Your (gorgeous!) three stone reminds me a lot of my 5 stone in its overall shape/outline and its low height. And holy cow does that solitaire setting make your diamond pop! Wow!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Veltiesmom|1479366224|4099621 said:
Thanks so much to everyone for their helpful responses. I've spent the past couple of days looking carefully at the ring and soul-searching and being HONEST with myself. And I think .... 1) the ring is gorgeous, but 2) my heart really wants a 10mm stone. Oy. That may sound silly and nitpicky but I think that's where I'm at. I wore than darn 10mm OEC around for too many months, I think.

The challenge is how to make that happen. The current ring truly is gorgeous and I'm not totally insane to the extent that I'd take a huge loss on it just to upgrade 6 months after I bought it. I'm considering consigning with Erika or Grace in the hopes that someone who wants a completed ring might snap it up during the holiday season. I'd take a loss of course, but hopefully less so than dismantling the ring and selling the stone wholesale. But I just can't decide if the consignment route is a waste of time/money. It's a high ticket item and the uncertainty of when/if/for how much it would sell is a lot to bite off at this point. (And being honest, it would be so hard for me to be without an e-ring for 4/6/9 months while I'm waiting!).

The alternative is sticking with the center stone and trying a different setting to see if that does it for me (or at least does it for a while until I can upgrade). (Tweeter - I hear you on that Tiffany solitaire! I never was interested either and then tried one on recently and was like, WOAH! And I also think my current setting is very low which makes it wearable but ... makes the diamond less noticeable perhaps??)

(ETA - Tweeter, just checked out your rings and I'm so inspired! Your (gorgeous!) three stone reminds me a lot of my 5 stone in its overall shape/outline and its low height. And holy cow does that solitaire setting make your diamond pop! Wow!)

Veltiesmom, this sentence says it all I think. Don't settle for a new setting. Do what you need to do to get the OEC of your dream (and dream size). That is my rec. A deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want and if you reset I don't think it will scratch that itch and fulfill your desire of having a larger OEC. And you will keep spending more money and not be getting exactly what you really want. Save that money and put it towards that big OEC. My thoughts from what you just wrote.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Veltiesmom- I have a 2.28 carat OEC on a 4.5 finger. A substantial size stone for my finger size. I had the acacia solitaire for it- a very similar graduated setting to yours. Not exact, but the sides came up to the stone in much the same way and kind of "dwarfed" it. I decided on a solitaire that had a graduated shank that got SMALLER towards the stone. I think this really makes the stone pop and look larger. I'm going to share my ring over on SMTB in a few minutes. I get it tomorrow, but the pics are done and I'm in LOVE. I was going to go with the jovyn which is very much like the tiffany, but Caysie wanted to try a new design. Boy am I glad I let her go with it. The cost was not bad either. If you want to check it out, it might tick your boxes for a reset?

On the other hand, if you DO decide to just sell the whole ring, I can't imagine it will be around for long. It's a beautiful classic setting with a PS quality diamond- I would definitely try to sell it as a ring rather than split it up.

P

PierreBear

Hey lady! Just curious, you mentioned that your heart really wants a 10 mm stone. Do you have any inspirational pictures showing what you are drawn to now? Maybe some of the other PSers can help figure out your forever setting now that you nailed down that the size of stone/presence is important to you. I def went through a stage where I loved about 10 settings and posting it on a thread helped me figure out why I was drawn to certain things. Good luck with finding something you will enjoy!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock

Hi, I was in the same exact situation as you a few months back. I have a 2.1 carat RB in a halo and I wanted a larger RB stone in a solitaire and I bought a RB 3.4 carat with spreads about 9.6mm. While it was a beautiful stone, I did not like the fact that it was set too low for my liking and that it was visually smaller than I thought (after wearing a 2carat with the halo) this is what I felt. I returned the 3.4 carat and after a few months, I thought to go with a different route of more elongated stone. I am about to pick up a 3.1 carat emerald that will be in a halo setting with cut corners-- like Tiffany solest style. The stone itself is almost 10mm long and 7.5mm wide and with a thin halo, it will be larger. That was my decision in the end but I know many just buy a larger round to satisfy the size craving. I knew I was not going to be happy with a round solitaire even at 9.6mm so I opted a completely different look and at time will wear my current rb.
I definitely know the feeling when you spent so much time and money and you're doubting your choice, good luck with your final decision!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results