shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about changing my setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
I have a Dvatche 6 prong Royal crown with a 3.03 carat round....I''ve had it for over 5 years now and am feeling bored with it. On a whim I went to a jewelry store to look at settings and fell in love with the Jack Kelege...in particular the imperial crown with the cushion-y halo. I know a lot of people here might think that''s OTT but I loved it. Any opinions on the Jack Kelege settings compared to others like Beaudry? What do you think of a 3.03 in a halo like that? The one I tried on had a CZ equivalent of 2 carats and it really did not look that big to me...
26.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee Jay on this forum has a 3 carat stone in a Jack Kelege setting! let me forwarn you that your stone MUST be sent to Kelege to set in order to avoid the problems she had!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-eagle-has-landed.55342/

Note that the initial pictures are of the ring as it was when the jeweler set the stone, and a few pages later you see the "after" pictures of when it was reset by Jack Kelege (and it looks much better!).

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Diamonseeker 2006- Thanks for the heads up! I''ve read up on all the posts regarding Dee*Jay''s ring so I definitely will be sending the diamond to Kelege for the whole time the ring is being made. The retailer I spoke with actually suggested that which was nice...

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think Halo''s are beautiful around any stone, but obviously need to be done by someone very skilled.

I do not want to make any assumptions here, so I will just give my opinion as a jewelry enthusiast who spends money on jewelry for my wife.

I love Beaudry''s settings, and Kelege''s things from what I have seen. I do find some of their settings a little on the pricey end for what you may be getting. It seems that the larger they get the more you end up spending for the name. It bothers me a bit, but can be worth every penny if you are happy.

The idea of upgrading a 3 carat stone''s setting is awesome. I have repeated this is other posts, since I really only respond to ring setting posts...but love the relationship that can be built with a custom designer on a one on one basis. I really love dealing with Maytal Hannah, and the fact that she worked with some of the bigger names in the business, I believe Beaudry was one of them...only gave me more confidence to go with her.

People I had spoken with prior to that...Leon Mege and Mark Morrell(I do love their rings and sent my uncle to see Leon in New York) acted like they were interviewing ME. It seemed like I may not be good enough for them.

I like to know who is actually doing the work, as it feels like I have more vested in it, and I am prouder of what my wife is wearing.

:)

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Moosejaw- I definitely have considered going custom but I''m not sure about commiting to a ring I have not tried on...Maytal''s work looks beautiful. I have considered her and Leon Mege...

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
I do have pictures of what I currently have. I must say I really don''t like how thick the ring looks with my wedding band...After seeing these pictures I started wearing the e-ring alone again... It''s a 3.03 H&A Ring size is a 4.75+

IMG_7928W.jpg

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
One more with the wedding band

IMG_7924W.jpg

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, my wife has a small sized ring - 4 1/4...we bought with a description of what we wanted, and based on a few photos of what liked, and her suggestions of course. Originally we were going to go with Leon, but was very brash on the phone, and matched the descriptions of other posts I read about him.

Now that I have said that, I just want to be clear I do love his work(although I believe he does not craft all of the pieces he sells, people are working under him.) and my wife would love something from him just as much as any designer.

Maytal''s work at the time impressed us, and what she did for my wifes stone was above and beyond. It wasn''t exactly what we asked for, it was better. It fit perfectly.

What made my decision easy was a post I read from a pricescope appraiser/evaluator a few years ago, who said that Maytal''s work was some of the best quality he has ever seen.

After speaking with her, we were even more sold. I just went through the engagement ring folder and saw some newer designs she recently completed and I was blown away.

You can see the ring she made for us on her site, it is the green tsavorite in the gallery at maytalhannah.com.

Also...I there are some actual photos of my wife wearing the ring if you search for Maytal Hoftman on here.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow. That thing is HUGE! beautiful.

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 7:06:34 PM
Author:plethora23
I have a Dvatche 6 prong Royal crown with a 3.03 carat round....I''ve had it for over 5 years now and am feeling bored with it. On a whim I went to a jewelry store to look at settings and fell in love with the Jack Kelege...in particular the imperial crown with the cushion-y halo. I know a lot of people here might think that''s OTT but I loved it. Any opinions on the Jack Kelege settings compared to others like Beaudry? What do you think of a 3.03 in a halo like that? The one I tried on had a CZ equivalent of 2 carats and it really did not look that big to me...
26.gif
I love the Jack Kelege Imperial Crown line. I think your stone would look gorgeous and HUGE-mongous in that setting, especially on your 4.75 finger! One of DH''s best friends bought his wife a Jack Kelege halo (fancy yellow diamond) and I know they LOVE it. I''m sure the workmanship is excellent.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, that stone is already really huge on your small finger! Even though I love Kelege settings, I really think a Kelege halo with a 3 ct. stone on your size finger would be really, really huge and maybe tooooo much, if I may be completely honest. But you may live in Beverley Hills or somewhere where people wear 5 carat rings, so maybe it is not huge to you!

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker2006- Funny you should mention that...It actually doesn''t get noticed much at all around here...and I have to admit that after 5 years shrinkage has set in...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think deejay wears close to the same size and her kelege has sidestones. her ring is affectionately called the brick. even she has admitted that it''s not as big to her any more. Jack Kelege is wonderful, I think if you love the setting you should go for it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really weird, my stone is 3.02ct and my ring size is 4.25-4.5 (depending on the climate, time of the month LOL) and yet my stone looks smaller compared to yours. I think maybe it's to do with the fact that the bottom of my ring finger (where the ring sits) is smaller than the part above it.

Whilst I think that think your 3 carater looks quite big on yr hand, I can absolutely understand how you feel (I have a current thread on DSS), and do not feel that a halo on a 3 carater is too OTT. I'm currently comtemplating this design and have contacted LM (who btw says that these other people took it from him - his claim), who gave me a fairly reasonable quote:

http://www.cellinijewelers.com/history/history.html

The RB is on page 13 on the Fall 07 catalogue

I personally think it's soooo yummmmmoo!!

(ETA: I've read mixed reviews here about LM. I've never spoken to him but have exchanged emails with him. I've found him to be responsive and courteous).

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
mrssalvo- Thanks for the support...I''ve been watching your ring saga over the years and I absolutely love what you have chosen. It is spectacular! I too seem to have a love of cushions right now
21.gif

Phoenix- The design you like is lovely. I''ve opted for the cushion-y halo. I tried on a round with a round halo and it looked funny on my hand. I''ll attach pics of the one I''m looking at...I''ve chosen the lower set version of this ring. I tried on the higher and the lower and the lower looked more proportional on my hand. Also, these rings seem to go with the larger stones...the person that helped me said they have done rings of this style on diamonds over 7 carats! Crazy huh?

Jack-Kelege_2.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2008 12:14:57 PM
Author: plethora23
mrssalvo- Thanks for the support...I've been watching your ring saga over the years and I absolutely love what you have chosen. It is spectacular! I too seem to have a love of cushions right now
21.gif

Phoenix- The design you like is lovely. I've opted for the cushion-y halo. I tried on a round with a round halo and it looked funny on my hand. I'll attach pics of the one I'm looking at...I've chosen the lower set version of this ring. I tried on the higher and the lower and the lower looked more proportional on my hand. Also, these rings seem to go with the larger stones...the person that helped me said they have done rings of this style on diamonds over 7 carats! Crazy huh?

That's soooo beautiful!!
36.gif

Can't wait to see your beautiful stone in yr new design. Please post pics when it's done.

(and yes, a halo around a 7carat would be OTT, just a touch,
2.gif
he he)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results