shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about a 5-stone ... opinions please

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been mulling over possibly upgrading my WF ES for a slight bump in size, but more and more, I am thinking I may just buy another diamond to match the center in my 3-stone (.70ct), and using all 5 diamonds for a 5-stone ring. I really love my WF ES, it’s a stellar performer, and I would have a hard time justifying the extra cost to upgrade it ... it would probably be around $5k more and would definitely require a new setting, so $7K-ish total to basically gain a little under a half carat/.3mm spread. That doesn’t really leave me ‘mind-wallet clean’ when I could buy another .70 ($1500-2k) and a new 5-stone setting all for probably ~$4500.

Here are the diamonds I have; all are J/K, excellent performers in terms of fire, brilliance, etc., good/great HCAs, and either GIA EX or AGS Ideal:
6869CB38-9598-4384-903B-3364971E88CD.jpeg

And here are the ‘proposed’ 5 stone sizes (as ‘to scale’ as I can get) laid out together to see how they’d look proportionately; no difference in the top & bottom rows, except the background to visually aid defining the sizes/proportions:
FE7A84D1-B1DC-4DC1-8F54-A78F1EFF77A8.jpeg
Measurements (in mm) are/would be: 4.5 | 5.6 | 7.17 | 5.6 | 4.4

Do/would these diamonds appear relatively ‘right’ proportion-wise together?

Anyone else have/had a 5-stone with similar sizes/proportions (approx 3.5ctw)? If so, can you please share pics or links to threads with the deets so I can see some IRL examples of how this may look in a finished ring, on the finger, etc?

Anyone else been in a similiar decision-making position and if so, what was your rationale one way or the other?

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ES is so amazing and kind of a unicorn with the fluorescence and light performance... I would be hard pressed if I were you to trade it in.

That would be an AMAZING five stone. Can't wait to see the finished product!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ES is so amazing and kind of a unicorn with the fluorescence and light performance... I would be hard pressed if I were you to trade it in.

That would be an AMAZING five stone. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Thank you; I feel the same about my ES. I feel like it was a great buy, great price, etc and I do love it. And I am hoping - with a size 7 finger - I have the real estate to pull off the 5-stone while appreciating all the bling-glitter.

What do you think about the proportions? Do they look right/good? :confused:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you; I feel the same about my ES. I feel like it was a great buy, great price, etc and I do love it. And I am hoping - with a size 7 finger - I have the real estate to pull off the 5-stone while appreciating all the bling-glitter.

What do you think about the proportions? Do they look right/good? :confused:
I do like the proportions. It reminds me of the five stone @Niel had (although I may be remembering her ring incorrectly).

And I think depending on the angle of the side diamonds you will have room for all of them.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
C381DB40-4BA7-4D26-B8D1-534FCD90CDDD.jpeg I literally just did this. I had DK make a 5 stone for me out of my 6.8mm center diamond and bought 2 more WF diamond and used earrings I had. My husband gave me the option to upgrade my diamond but I am very sentimental and couldn't. I decided to turn it into a 5 stone. My measurements are
4.4–5.1–6.8–5.2–4.3
I figured if I need an upgrade in the future I will just upgrade my outer diamonds to 5.5+mm!
FD331FD4-D7F8-413C-808D-C35E2BBE1EA4.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: WOW @JrJ Your ring is S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G!!!

Might I ask what your ring size is? Your proportions are super close to mine so this is VERY helpful to see! Thank you! :appl:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C381DB40-4BA7-4D26-B8D1-534FCD90CDDD.jpeg I literally just did this. I had DK make a 5 stone for me out of my 6.8mm center diamond and bought 2 more WF diamond and used earrings I had. My husband gave me the option to upgrade my diamond but I am very sentimental and couldn't. I decided to turn it into a 5 stone. My measurements are
4.4–5.1–6.8–5.2–4.3
I figured if I need an upgrade in the future I will just upgrade my outer diamonds to 5.5+mm!
Omg. This is making me want to turn my ring into a five stone! LOVE!!!!

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
My ring size is 5.
I do want to point out that when my diamond was a solitaire it looked bigger in pictures because it was set a little higher and things closer to the camera tend to look a little larger. I had my diamonds set as low as possible this time around but in real life the diamond looks the same size as before.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
:kiss2: Thank you ladies. I have zero regrets.
I was going to do a 3 stone but really wanted to see diamonds sparkle from more angles so I don’t have to purposely look at my ring to see sparkle and it worked! I see sparkle almost all the time.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring size is 5.
I do want to point out that when my diamond was a solitaire it looked bigger in pictures because it was set a little higher and things closer to the camera tend to look a little larger. I had my diamonds set as low as possible this time around but in real life the diamond looks the same size as before.

OMG this is SOOOOO helpful; thank you! :appl: Given the relative proportion of our stone & finger sizes, I think yours is a pretty good visual estimate of the coverage I’ll have on my size 7 finger. And I think I’m gonna freaking LOVE it! :love:

Your ring is so beautiful; I love that side profile view ... that is a major criteria for any piece I custom-commission ... being able to appreciate as much of the diamond/s as possible from every angle, especially the one I see most often, which is the north/south side view. ;)2

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image.jpg
I wanted to see the diamonds from the side but really wanted to protect the center diamond and keep it round appearing from the top so I added the upside down “v”.
Seriously amazing setting.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 5-stone is a great idea!! One of my favorite 5-stone rings on PS is the one that used to belong to @Niel... and I believe she is a size 6.5 or 7, although I'm not sure of the size of her stones... amazing finger coverage!

EDIT: just saw where it was like 3.5, 4, 6 mm, and her ring size is about 7.25-7.5 - for reference. :)

uploadfromtaptalk1411128558931-jpg.410701

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another great example, @msop04 Thank you for posting that one!

I had thought I may wait a couple years to do this, but now I’m thinking it will be the project that follows setting the tycoon because I’ll have that new bling to wear/love/admire for awhile and I can take my time choosing a new .70 and a setting design for the 5-stone.

I might have to shop/try some 5-stone sim options to get a feel for what that coverage will look like on me, IRL before I pull the trigger and disassemble two rings that I absolutely love. :???:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JrJ One more quick ? re: your 5-stone ... are you able to flush-stack your WB with it, or is there any sort of gap given the trellis (mostly for the center, I’d assume)?

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
image.jpg No problem!
I am posting a photo simply because I consider this a very small to zero gap compared to my old solitaire with a donut that made a larger gap but want you to determine if this is too gappy for you. This band is 1.5 high, I have a 1.7 high band somewhere but misplaced it and may cause a slightly larger gap. Let me know if you are interested in seeing them together and I can post a pic when I find it.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JrJ That is perfect; thanks so much! I don’t mind a little gap, and my WB is pretty low-set, so it would probably be fine. Thanks again for the super-helpful visuals! :wavey:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4.4–5.1–6.8–5.2–4.3

This is GORGEOUS!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Five stone! I think it would look great as a five stone. :appl: I am totally unbiased. :twisted2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Five stone! I think it would look great as a five stone. :appl: I am totally unbiased. :twisted2:

I slipped both rings on my finger and stood back from a mirror to get a perspective view of what it may look like on my finger.

It was a lot bling ... in a great way! :twisted2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Logan Sapphire Your ring is absolutely gorgeous as well! I love everything about it and will add it (if you don’t mind) to my inspiration folder for 5-stones. Who made it? :love:

May I ask what the stone sizes and your ring size are?

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been mulling over possibly upgrading my WF ES for a slight bump in size, but more and more, I am thinking I may just buy another diamond to match the center in my 3-stone (.70ct), and using all 5 diamonds for a 5-stone ring. I really love my WF ES, it’s a stellar performer, and I would have a hard time justifying the extra cost to upgrade it ... it would probably be around $5k more and would definitely require a new setting, so $7K-ish total to basically gain a little under a half carat/.3mm spread. That doesn’t really leave me ‘mind-wallet clean’ when I could buy another .70 ($1500-2k) and a new 5-stone setting all for probably ~$4500.

Here are the diamonds I have; all are J/K, excellent performers in terms of fire, brilliance, etc., good/great HCAs, and either GIA EX or AGS Ideal:
6869CB38-9598-4384-903B-3364971E88CD.jpeg

And here are the ‘proposed’ 5 stone sizes (as ‘to scale’ as I can get) laid out together to see how they’d look proportionately; no difference in the top & bottom rows, except the background to visually aid defining the sizes/proportions:
FE7A84D1-B1DC-4DC1-8F54-A78F1EFF77A8.jpeg
Measurements (in mm) are/would be: 4.5 | 5.6 | 7.17 | 5.6 | 4.4

Do/would these diamonds appear relatively ‘right’ proportion-wise together?

Anyone else have/had a 5-stone with similar sizes/proportions (approx 3.5ctw)? If so, can you please share pics or links to threads with the deets so I can see some IRL examples of how this may look in a finished ring, on the finger, etc?

Anyone else been in a similiar decision-making position and if so, what was your rationale one way or the other?

The figure realestate will be awesome with those proportions. I had a size 7 five stone with .45/.46 AGS diamonds from bgd looked huge on my finger.
Looking forward to seeing yours:dance:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The figure realestate will be awesome with those proportions. I had a size 7 five stone with .45/.46 AGS diamonds from bgd looked huge on my finger.
Looking forward to seeing yours:dance:

Thanks so much. Might you have pics posted of yours I can go hunt down?

The bolded part of your post concerns me a smidge ... do you mean ‘huge’ in a nice, blingy way, or ‘huge’ in an ‘over-the-top’ way? My only hesitation with doing this is: “will this be ‘too much’ for my lifestyle”? We don’t attend fancy gatherings, live extravagantly, etc. I simply enjoy my bling, whether I’m at grocery shopping, out to dinner, or home in pajamas and my hair a mess. But obviously, I don’t want to have any regrets doing this because it means dismantling two rings I do love.

@the_mother_thing I have never loved a piece of jewellery like I do my 5 stone, the finger coverage is sensational!
Your ring is divine! :love:

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much. Might you have pics posted of yours I can go hunt down?

The bolded part of your post concerns me a smidge ... do you mean ‘huge’ in a nice, blingy way, or ‘huge’ in an ‘over-the-top’ way? My only hesitation with doing this is: “will this be ‘too much’ for my lifestyle”? We don’t attend fancy gatherings, live extravagantly, etc. I simply enjoy my bling, whether I’m at grocery shopping, out to dinner, or home in pajamas and my hair a mess. But obviously, I don’t want to have any regrets doing this because it means dismantling two rings I do love.

Your ring is divine! :love:
I think the setting matters more than it simply being a 5 stone. I am very simple with the way I dress, literally jeans, plain tank top and sandals with little makeup every single day and I don’t feel the ring is over the top at all. I think if I had engravings and pave it would have been too much for my style, though. This is, of course, just my opinion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results