shape
carat
color
clarity

Think I’m going with a bezel and halo

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Nothing to add that hasn't already been said - just really excited to see the final product! I love a bezel & I love engraving, so basically this is right up my alley!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for catching that, I am not at my best today. Spent the morning trying to catch a neighbor’s dog that got loose. Hours in the rain with the animal control officer and we still didn’t get him! So I’m a bit exhausted.

I appreciate though your perspective about an airline making the center stone look smaller. Do you have a pic of your ring with the airline? I’m just so worried about messing this up!

Sorry about the neighbors dog. Hope he shows up!! Once my moms dog came back on his own at 4am after being attacked and getting away.

Ok so check my post about the antiquing on my new ring. I find the darker color around the stone interrupts the eye and the flow and makes the stone look smaller. Picture a dark border around the stone. Maybe draw it into the inspiration pic with photoshop? I do like an airline though still!! Just letting you know.

ETA feel free to reach out off board and I can help you draw it in....I find that most helpful.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen, I really should ask for a comparison but I feel like I annoyed him by changing my mind twice, this was the third sketch he did for me. I don’t want to be “that customer” that’s probably very silly.

They have a trap set to catch the dog, he is a stubborn one!

@meely thanks for the input and yes I love the dahlia setting but I would have gone down considerably in diameter from what I have. The new setting will actually be 3mm larger in diameter so that is a nice increase.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Cerulean, I’m excited, can’t wait to have the ring done and in hand!

@Slick1 oh poor dog but I’m glad he found his way back. I was just driving our som to school this morning and the dog was in the middle of our street. Poor guy, I hope they can coax him in the house.

See, I really like your antiqued ring (pretty sure I voted to keep it) but I will go have another look. Thanks for offering your help, I will reach out :)

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no! Poor doggie! I really hope he comes back! it’s dangerous out there, little guy!

So, as for another plastic. I got 3 and I changed my CADs a lot. As in I asked for literally a .5mm difference or a 15 degree change. I offered to pay for shipping and other expenses for the second and third plastic but they said no problem! Plus, DK has been making jewelry for PSers for so long, I bet someone has had like 100+ CAD changes! I kid but you never know! Lol! But anyway, you want this to be perfect! Ask for that plastic!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Lol I WAS "that girl" with my ring last year. An embarassing #of cads and tweaks and plastics. I actually picked my ring up in LA and Amy teased me about the # of cads right in front of David. I was momentarily mortified. But you know what that sweet man said?: " I would rather that, then have someone look at their ring and say meh, it's alright". He really is that nice. And made me feel a lot better. I've done some little things with them this year and they're working on something now. They've never made me feel like I'm not welcomed. DK will want you to be thrilled, I promise. They are so nice and your happiness is important!
Btw I like the cad with the airline a lot. The bezel around the stone adds size visually, i don't think you'll find it looks smaller.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @CHRISTY-DANIELLE for the reassurance, it is very helpful. I think part of my problem with this project was not knowing what direction to go after realizing the dahlia wouldn’t work for me. That’s okay though because I figured it out and things are moving along. Just a blip on the radar is how I need to look at it.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @CHRISTY-DANIELLE for the reassurance, it is very helpful. I think part of my problem with this project was not knowing what direction to go after realizing the dahlia wouldn’t work for me. That’s okay though because I figured it out and things are moving along. Just a blip on the radar is how I need to look at it.

That’s great! What did you decide? Or will it be a grand reveal?

I was going to comment yesterday that after seeing the CAD with the airline, I’m actually liking it a lot but I fell asleep lol.

Whatever you decide, I’m super looking forward to it. It’s going to be amazing with that bezel and the engraving. I especially love the flower idea at NSEW. This is gonna be stunning!

edited to delete the part I started writing last night but fell asleep! Lol

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Spring Day, I always find your posts so relatable and entertaining :)

I am 99% sure I’m doing the airline, @Slick1 did a markup for me last night and I think it adds to the vintage feel. That was actually my main concern with a bezel is keeping it from looking too modern.

I just wanted to say to you and everyone else who has taken the time to comment that I really appreciate all the support, suggestions and reassurance. Means a lot to me.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada I’ve been following this thread and am so excited for you! I love your choice. I saw this pic on ig and I love what’s going on in here in terms of the airline—tho I can’t tell if that quite what I’m looking at, lol. 57632A8F-AED9-4E63-A207-E38BEAEE5628.jpeg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3mm is a massive increase. Definitely agree that the airline adds to the vintage vibe. I think without it is a much more contemporary design, lovely but very different vibe.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala, thanks so much for the encouragement, I can’t wait to see the final result!

I don’t think the ring you posted has an airline, it looks like a reflection to me. Pretty ring either way.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
@Spring Day, I always find your posts so relatable and entertaining :)

I am 99% sure I’m doing the airline, @Slick1 did a markup for me last night and I think it adds to the vintage feel. That was actually my main concern with a bezel is keeping it from looking too modern.

I just wanted to say to you and everyone else who has taken the time to comment that I really appreciate all the support, suggestions and reassurance. Means a lot to me.

Yea! Us larger finger gals gotta stick together since finger coverage is such a hard thing to come by without loads of money! Lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I wish I had seen this earlier! I saw you mention the pendant elsewhere but I am just now seeing your thread. That is my daughter's pendant and the center stone is 6.5mm just like yours! It does not have an airline. That is a platinum bezel, just fyi. The yg bezel will be great with your stone! I would not do an airline. My daughter's pendant is 12.01mm without the airline. Doing an airline is making your bezel smaller meaning your engraving is going to have less room.

I'd definitely add the doughnut if you plan to wear bands. That will give a tiny bit of separation that will help keep your band from hitting the petals in the gallery.

I hate that I don't have a good picture! But I don't think the engraved halo should be any narrower than this. There is zero modern style to this, in my opinion. But if you want the airline, then you need to make the halo the original size and the overall diameter will be larger than 12mm.

DKpendantCaroline4 smaller.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006, I had no idea this was a PS’ers piece! I just want to make sure that you are okay with me using this design. Had I known, I would have asked first.

That said, thank you so much for the suggestions, they are very helpful especially about the diameter of the halo itself to accommodate the engraving. Also I wasn’t going to do a donut but I may have to in order to spare the undercarriage, so again I appreciate that suggestion,

Obviously I love this design, your daughter’s pendant is gorgeous but again, if you would rather it not be replicated then I completely understand.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006, I had no idea this was a PS’ers piece! I just want to make sure that you are okay with me using this design. Had I known, I would have asked first.

That said, thank you so much for the suggestions, they are very helpful especially about the diameter of the halo itself to accommodate the engraving. Also I wasn’t going to do a donut but I may have to in order to spare the undercarriage, so again I appreciate that suggestion,

Obviously I love this design, your daughter’s pendant is gorgeous but again, if you would rather it not be replicated then I completely understand.

Oh, it must have been someone else that mentioned the pendant! I now have no idea who it was! :lol:

It is 100% fine for you to use the design!!! DK has made other engraved halo rings before, anyway! I think your stone will be great in the reverse metals! Are you going to use 18k yellow gold? I think with the depth of color of your stone, that would be best.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it must have been someone else that mentioned the pendant! I now have no idea who it was! :lol:

It is 100% fine for you to use the design!!! DK has made other engraved halo rings before, anyway! I think your stone will be great in the reverse metals! Are you going to use 18k yellow gold? I think with the depth of color of your stone, that would be best.

Thank you so much for being so gracious. The setting apart from the halo will be 18k yellow and the halo will be platinum. This is my first custom ring project and first project with David and I am just so excited about it!

BTW I may very well have commented on it and just don’t remember but in case I didn’t, your daughter’s pendant is stunning. Love the color of the diamond.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wax is here!

The only change I’m going to make is to change the halo back to its original width before I added the airline. @Slick1 noticed with the cads that when I posted the cad for the airline that the diameter didn’t change. Think I need the extra space for the engraving. 7E695FFD-F028-4E83-AC29-EB3CD6476BE9.jpeg

AA2F5ED4-1F12-46E7-8A94-584237B056E4.jpeg
9777CB3A-864F-4416-8EDC-8FE8A3AE438B.jpeg
271A4136-24AB-4A84-87F5-F32039BD27D4.jpeg
7E695FFD-F028-4E83-AC29-EB3CD6476BE9.jpeg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh it looks nice but seeing it on you, I think the ring and your finger can definitely take a little bit of extra width on the bezel and as you say good for the engraving!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it looks nice but seeing it on you, I think the ring and your finger can definitely take a little bit of extra width on the bezel and as you say good for the engraving!

Hey hey, you calling my finger large?! ;-)

Just joking but I agree that a little extra will be good all around!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh here is a question, I plan do have this ring done just like the pendant. Following the original it would have milgrain on the bezel and both sides of the halo with the halo engraved.

Not too much?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey hey, you calling my finger large?! ;-)

Just joking but I agree that a little extra will be good all around!

Lol I think you have enough finger real estate for it not too look obscene!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think DK’s milgrain is so fine it would not be too much. But I love his milgrain.
I would also explore using a yellow gold inner bezel to give some extra size oomph to the center stone. Just a random thought...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooooo I am SO EXCITED!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results