shape
carat
color
clarity

Things to do in Maui

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pricescope friends!

We are going to be going to Maui at the end of Feb and i know there is lots to do, but i want to choose the best things to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
The sunrise on Halakalah (sp) is AMAZING if its not too cloudy.

The hike to Needlepoint is beautiful.

The road to Hana is not my fav but if it the first trip, you should do it.

A traditional luau is a must.

Seeing the water spouts is AMAZING.

Going to the farmers market is great for the less tourist feel and has AMAZING food.

I really enjoyed the snorkling at Molikini (sp)

Gosh I know there is more that I am missing but it was several years ago I went so forgive me.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
oh fun. I am going to maui too, in May. I love to plan trips, so I''ve read loads. We are taking a helicopter tour on Blue Hawaii. We are renting a convertible while on the island and we are taking the road to Hana and we are going to the Old Lahaina Luau.

We will visit loads of beaches near ka''napali (sp?) and we may take a snrokel/boat trip to Lanai.

HAVE FUN!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
On the Road to Hana, is the church where Charles Lindbergh was buried. It''s a must see for anyone as the views are just incredible and the church is very small and quaint.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Let''s see...it''s been over 5 years, but these are the highlights that I can remember: Sunrise at Mt. Haleakalah (bundle up in coats and scarves and gloves, it is FREEZING). Road to Hana (I would by a book that lists all the stops to make....some roadside stand sells the best banana bread ever made, it was so good!) A luau. The black sand beach (I think this was a stop along the road to Hana). Some fab. resturants I can''t really remember the names, one was something like humuhumuhuhu(something crazy like that). That''s all I can really remember! There is good shopping in one little part, but I can''t remember the name right off hand, lots of outdoor shops. Have fun!

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 8:12:58 PM
Author: mintve
oh fun. I am going to maui too, in May. I love to plan trips, so I''ve read loads. We are taking a helicopter tour on Blue Hawaii. We are renting a convertible while on the island and we are taking the road to Hana and we are going to the Old Lahaina Luau.

We will visit loads of beaches near ka''napali (sp?) and we may take a snrokel/boat trip to Lanai.

HAVE FUN!!
Yes - I did both of these things while there it made the trip far more memorable. :)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you get carsick, I would not do the road to Hana. It''s beautiful, sure, but I live in California and am not all that awed by coastal drives. I was also pregnant at the time we did this and personally wanted to skip it, but humored TGuy, who in the end agreed that with the exception of the real "gem" (per Maui Revealed) that we got all to ourselves, the best thing about the road to Hana is that you get to say you did the road to Hana. Personally, I would have rather have spent that day snorkeling, which I love to do.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I HIGHLY recommend the 'Revealed' series. Written by locals. They won't steer you wrong.

Skip the molokini snorkel trip.
You can find just as good with no boat required (ie just offshore), and save your money for the Old Lahaina Lu'au.

The Road to Hana
is far and away my favorite Maui experience (but then again, it was January and I LOVE rain) after visiting twice. If you decide to do it, just make sure to take your time, and stay overnight (at LEAST one night, if not more!) in Hana, so that you can make all the stops (they list the trip's stops in detail in the 'Maui Revealed' book). Next Maui trip we make will be exclusively Hana, for at least 4 nights. There is nothing like it, but you absolutely canNOT appreciate it without spending at least one full day there.

MissErin

Brilliant_Rock

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Mama''s Fish House for lunch or dinner. It doesn''t get any better!

I also enjoyed a lovely dinner at the Fairmont Resort, outdoors on the veranda, at sunset.

Indeed, try to make the sunrise at the volcano. Awe inspiring.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting this! I am getting married on Maui in July and any and all ideas are great! I borrowed the Maui Revealed book from a friend, but it''s a few years old...do you think it''s worth going and buying the latest copy? It seems that the things I looked up were fairly accurate minus a few hotels closing due to remodeling.

Please keep sharing your ideas...we are staying and getting married at the Ka''anapali Beach Club.

Thank you again!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 8:33:52 PM
Author: steph72276
Some fab. resturants I can''t really remember the names, one was something like humuhumuhuhu(something crazy like that). That''s all I can really remember! There is good shopping in one little part, but I can''t remember the name right off hand, lots of outdoor shops. Have fun!

The restaurant is Humuhumunukunukuapua''a, and is located in Wailea in the Grand Wailea Resort. The food is fab, but I second the suggestion for Mama''s over in Paia. Nothing beats Mama''s!

Wailea also has excellent (and designer) shopping at the center right next to Grand Wailea.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
DH and I are big lumpy beach loungers when we go to Hawaii. It''s all about food, wandering around a bit and lots of relaxation. Here are the places we ate things we did last year while we were there and my thoughts:

Restaurants
Mama''s Fish House - wonderful. Have the fish special, it''s called that for a reason (delicious, and I''m not a seafood fan).
BJ''s Chicago Pizzeria - yes, I know it sounds nuts, but DH was craving some pizza and it was so good!
Mala - a great place to dine in Lahaina.
Gerards - french food done very well in Hawaii, sounds nuts, but true! Great service, beautiful atmosphere.
David Pauls - neither my husband nor I was impressed, but a lot of people are.
There''s one more that I can''t recall the name of in Lahaina, so annoying!

Things to Do
Pa''ia - a fun little town, a great place to hang out for an hour or two before heading to Mama''s.
Road to Hana - it was interesting, and something I really enjoyed but I could see how one might not.
Tedischi Ranch - a beautiful winery. The wine wasn''t amazing if you''re a connoisseir, but it was a really fun experience.

I think we spent the rest of the trip relaxing on the beach, visiting Lahaina, hiking, checking out other hotels (there was one with a really yummy foofy drink, which isn''t typically my thing that''s name is also escaping me, drat!).

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
Wow thanks for all the tips! All the talk of this wonderful food is making me hungry, and i have a few hours before lunch! Guess my orange will have to do
2.gif

I do want to see the sunrise on Haleakala Crater, i guess we need to get up at 3am for this???

Plus i guess we are going at the right time to see whales.. so i am hoping that we can experience that sight!

I am excited about the Road to Hana now!!! I am not usualy prone to being car sick, but with over 300 turns in a 52 mile radius perhaps some dramamie would help?

Has anyone done the eco-tours? I guess instead of taking a boat out on the water they have you in Kayaks and you to the snorkeling from there. Also I was thinking about the biking excursion down Haleakala Crater.

The nice thing is we have friends that live out there and have helped us out in picking things to do, but i just wanted some other suggestions too! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

only 42 more days........... but whos really counting anyway!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 11:27:58 AM
Author: beanie
Wow thanks for all the tips! All the talk of this wonderful food is making me hungry, and i have a few hours before lunch! Guess my orange will have to do
2.gif

I do want to see the sunrise on Haleakala Crater, i guess we need to get up at 3am for this???

Plus i guess we are going at the right time to see whales.. so i am hoping that we can experience that sight!

I am excited about the Road to Hana now!!! I am not usualy prone to being car sick, but with over 300 turns in a 52 mile radius perhaps some dramamie would help?

Has anyone done the eco-tours? I guess instead of taking a boat out on the water they have you in Kayaks and you to the snorkeling from there. Also I was thinking about the biking excursion down Haleakala Crater.

The nice thing is we have friends that live out there and have helped us out in picking things to do, but i just wanted some other suggestions too! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

only 42 more days........... but whos really counting anyway!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
Re: biking excursion...double check if they are still doing them. It''s always been a bit controversial because lots of people get injured, some fatally. Back in October when I went to Maui, they had stopped all the biking excurisions because 2 more people had died.

And Mama''s...if you are a die hard foodie, I think you''ll just find it good, but not a knockout. However, they treated us super well with one of the best tables in the house for our one year anniversary and our server was awesome, so I have to say I had a great time there.

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
I love food, so the more suggestions we have the better :)

i guess do you have to bring alot of dressy clothes along? or is casual/nice dress accepted in most places?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Think of the businesses in Hawaii as an extension of the beach. The absolute most formal you're likely to need is a casual skirt (or jeans) and a cute top. Not to say there aren't exceptions to this, but especially on Maui, you'd have to be trying to find the snootiest restaurant around... and then you're not experiencing Hawaii, are you? It's just a little manifestation of the mainland plopped onto the islands.

But yeah, the islands thrive off tourism, and you will be in the majority in most places (over locals). Which means most people will be wearing tank tops/aloha shirts and shorts.

For food on Maui, I liked the (perhaps overly) popular Moose McGillicuddy's for breakfast (there are several throughout the island). There's a fruit and coconut stand early on the road to Hana that has TO-DIE-FOR sugarcane juice. Another good breakfast spot is Moana Bakery and Cafe in Pa'ia (most of the eating out we did was for breakfast, weird, huh??). The Waterfront Restaurant in Wailuku is great for seafood. If you want Plate Lunch (a must-try-once Hawaii phenomenon), Da Kitchen in Kihei and Aloha Mixed Plate in the northern Lahaina area are really yummy.

Maui Revealed has TONS of great mini-reviews for restaurants. It really is all you need as far as area guides!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results