shape
carat
color
clarity

The setting - platinum ring/white gold mounting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chitown1

Rough_Rock
Spoke to a jeweler today about a platinum ring with a four prong mounting.

He said they''ve had problems recently with their platinum mounting coming loose (catching on clothing, etc.) and recommended getting the platinum ring but with a white gold mounting which would be more durable.

Does this make sense?

I''m concerned about future care - not only durability but look - will the white gold mounting, over time, not match the platinum ring?

Help!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been told by a few different jewelers that if a jeweler suggests this you should find someone else because it''s apparent they are not adept with Platinum.

JC

Shiny_Rock
That's strange. I've always been told that platinum is not only more durable but also is a much longer lasting metal. One interesting note that a designer recently brought to my attention was that when polishing or cleaning platinum rings the actual metal is not taken away from the ring. So in actuality when you scratch a platinum design the metal simply shifts throughout the ring, but doesn't come off to where you have lost a small portion of the ring or the metal. However, with white or yellow gold each time you scratch or clean the ring you are actually taking off the metal which is ultimately making the ring thinner and less durable. After I had learned this I made mention of it to several other designers and they confirmed this information. So in my opion I would stick with platinum if you want not only what is more popular nowadays, but will also provide you with many years of structural integrity and quality. Good luck....

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results