shape
carat
color
clarity

The Parkland Shooting Security Guard Has Been Arrested

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m curious to hear your thoughts on this?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'll see. It appears on the face to be a complete dereliction of duty.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i read that yesterday. another one was fired. they should face whatever the legal consequences are but let's be real, they probably never expected to be single-handedly defending an entire school from an out of control shooter. we're still not addressing the real and bigger problems of lack of responsible gun laws and lack of accessible mental health safety nets

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
He is not a security guard though, he is a sheriff's deputy which makes it all the more shameful.
Yes big difference.
I think he will get off eventually the supreme court has ruled that the police have no obligation to protect anyone.
I'm surprised about the charges to me it seems like to little to late.
The fbi and the sheriff's department had a chance to defuse it before it happened and didn't is a worse problem than a coward with a badge.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes big difference.
I think he will get off eventually the supreme court has ruled that the police have no obligation to protect anyone.
The fbi and the sheriff's department had a chance to defuse it before it happened and didn't is a worse problem than a coward with a badge.
I would think that the problems with the program they were running will be forefront in his defense strategy. Perhaps he is the fall guy. He still should have done his duty. You are right about the SCOTUS ruling which is why I don't depend on the cops for my safety.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He should have absolutely been arrested. Glad that they actually did.

Little that some of you guys know but the governor ran on this platform. He said he would fire the chief. He said he would fire the officers that did not do their job to stop this thing from being much worse. Very soon after he was sworn in he went to work.

In any other state the guy would be considered a Rhino. (he pretty much is).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know enough about the story. In my head I wonder if it was chaos and he was trying to figure out how to best handle it and get in, which door to use, etc, to not get shot and to take out the threat.

But I guess none of that happened.

With all of our mass shootings, I am sad to say I don’t even read about them any more. It’s too much to handle.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is true, so this is one reason why I don't trust police. What is their purpose anyway. They are not required to protect us, it's our responsibility. Why have them at all.

Yes big difference.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous. They just put a band-aid on an arterial wound.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This just further proves to me that we need military personnel stationed at each school. They ARE obligated to protect the citizens of this nation. Place two to three Soldiers or Marines at each school, make the assignments two weeks long so that they don’t get bored, make it an obligation for everyone in the military, boom..done. Good luck shooter...

I really want this. If we aren’t taking the guns off the streets and if our schools are going to remain WIDE OPEN, something needs to be done.

As far as this cop goes, he is a total coward. He’s probably justifying his actions to himself in his coward head that if he would have ran into that school he would have been dead and would have made no difference. Therefore, I believe he deserves punishment.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
i read that yesterday. another one was fired. they should face whatever the legal consequences are but let's be real, they probably never expected to be single-handedly defending an entire school from an out of control shooter. we're still not addressing the real and bigger problems of lack of responsible gun laws and lack of accessible mental health safety nets
This definitely isn't going to address the real issues, HOWEVER, he failed to do his job as a law enforcement officer, and I think the issue in HIS specific case is that his job is to prevent these things or stop it in its tracks if it happens. Instead of sending in the rest of his officers, or going in himself, either of which could've stopped it before the body count went up, he just stood there and hid like a giant wuss, let this kid massacre people and escape.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We should remove the licenses and severely fine gun shop owners who sell guns to people who go on to commit murder or other crimes with that gun.

Bartenders and restaurants are accountable if they over serve someone who then goes out and commits a DWI and kills someone. We hold liquor store and grocery people accountable for selling liquor to underage kids and already intoxicated people. They are fined and lose their licenses and jobs.
Let's hold the gun shop owners accountable for selling to killers.

I but they would be a lot more careful if that were the law.

Reactions: ame

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We should remove the licenses and severely fine gun shop owners who sell guns to people who go on to commit murder or other crimes with that gun.

Bartenders and restaurants are accountable if they over serve someone who then goes out and commits a DWI and kills someone. We hold liquor store and grocery people accountable for selling liquor to underage kids and already intoxicated people. They are fined and lose their licenses and jobs.
Let's hold the gun shop owners accountable for selling to killers.

I but they would be a lot more careful if that were the law.

How would you suggest these gun shop owners/salespeople identify a killer prior to selling them a firearm? In what ways might the owner/seller be able to tell if that buyer would potentially commit murder with the guns sold to them in the future??

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This definitely isn't going to address the real issues, HOWEVER, he failed to do his job as a law enforcement officer, and I think the issue in HIS specific case is that his job is to prevent these things or stop it in its tracks if it happens. Instead of sending in the rest of his officers, or going in himself, either of which could've stopped it before the body count went up, he just stood there and hid like a giant wuss, let this kid massacre people and escape.

he should face his consequences, but i would hate for anyone to think if we just had braver police/security guards that would solve the issue.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
he should face his consequences, but i would hate for anyone to think if we just had braver police/security guards that would solve the issue.
It's not even a matter of bravery--he failed to do his job. If he's too scared to do that job, he shouldn't be in it to begin with! The side effect of law enforcement and military roles are the potential for getting injured or killed by a suspect. What if he'd done what he signed up to do? How many of those kids would never have been killed.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not even a matter of bravery--he failed to do his job. If he's too scared to do that job, he shouldn't be in it to begin with! The side effect of law enforcement and military roles are the potential for getting injured or killed by a suspect. What if he'd done what he signed up to do? How many of those kids would never have been killed.

Good point. Instead of braver....would hate people to think of only the guard/police did their job this wouldn't have happened. Or that training teachers with guns will stop killers. Just the overall idea that the systembis fine, it's this guy who failed is wrong. He failed, and the system is failing us and especially failing public school kids who have no say but have to suffer the fallout of policy decisions.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm in the minority. I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for everyone involved - no-one should have to face that kind of situation and I don't honestly think that most people would be prepared to. I also think that it would be good to get a full picture of what happened and why. What was he doing? Was it the protocol that he was trained on? If not, why not? I know people have also said that he lied - but I also know that perception and memory are a tricky thing when someone is traumatized or under conditions of enormous stress. I guess I want more information before deciding what to think/feel about this.

I also strongly suspect that this is probably a politicized effort to shift attention away from the real issue (i.e., the fact that in the US there is an extreme ease of access to the types of weapons that can kill large numbers of people in seconds to minutes combined with a failure to keep these types of deadly weapons out of the hands of people (including children) who are clearly troubled - which is central to the lack of prevention of these types of incidents in the US) and onto a not-so-subtle message that more guns and braver/better trained people with bigger/better/more guns is the answer. The cynical part of me wonders how many people funded by the NRA were involved in making the decision to charge this man.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was interesting to hear how people here feel about this. I don’t think anyone truly knows how they would react unless they are faced with the situation. I feel awful for everyone involved.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know all the facts but it seems he was clearly negligent in his designated role, but as pointed out above you don't always know how you are going to react when a "scenario" becomes the real thing. Even for military personnel, it can be a shock in actual combat. In this case, it was very cowardly to not even go in to investigate the shot sounds, evaluate etc. But I think case in point - even arming teachers is no guarantee that they can/will behave as expected in a shooting, and as a teacher - why the f*ck should they? They probably didn't sign up this this...:snooty: Why not reduce the availability of guns rather than risking further lives?

I don't agree it's the military's job to babysit schools. :rolleyes: Fix the problem, don't just pass the buck...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This just further proves to me that we need military personnel stationed at each school. They ARE obligated to protect the citizens of this nation. Place two to three Soldiers or Marines at each school, make the assignments two weeks long so that they don’t get bored, make it an obligation for everyone in the military, boom..done. Good luck shooter...

I really want this. If we aren’t taking the guns off the streets and if our schools are going to remain WIDE OPEN, something needs to be done.

As far as this cop goes, he is a total coward. He’s probably justifying his actions to himself in his coward head that if he would have ran into that school he would have been dead and would have made no difference. Therefore, I believe he deserves punishment.

I like this idea @House Cat. It's a good solution to an awful problem that isn't going away.
We need this and can't afford not to do something drastic like this IMO.

I agree with your entire post. What a coward. Unconscionable. :cry2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not reduce the availability of guns rather than risking further lives?

I don't agree it's the military's job to babysit schools. :rolleyes: Fix the problem, don't just pass the buck...

Sometimes we have to work within the parameters we have. Unfortunately, I don't see the gun problem being solved anytime soon in the USA. Some people here feel it is their g-d given right to be armed. :(( I don't agree but I am clearly not in power. So we have to work with what we have until we can get guns off the streets. We have to do something to save lives because clearly what we are doing isn't working. ;(

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes we have to work within the parameters we have. Unfortunately, I don't see the gun problem being solved anytime soon in the USA. Some people here feel it is their g-d given right to be armed. :(( I don't agree but I am clearly not in power. So we have to work with what we have until we can get guns off the streets. We have to do something to save lives because clearly what we are doing isn't working. ;(

I get the desire but do you remember what it was like when the military was in airports after 9/11? I personally found it more sad and intimidating than reassuring. I think if this happens it's a turning point for our country and not a good one.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get the desire but do you remember what it was like when the military was in airports after 9/11? I personally found it more sad and intimidating than reassuring. I think if this happens it's a turning point for our country and not a good one.

Idk... I think I'd pick safety over having feelings of sadness or intimidation, but that's me.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As I sit here at my desk on one of the last days of school I am grateful that we DON'T have armed militia guarding the place. I would quit and do something else if it ever comes to that. Do those who suggest this work in a place that is monitored like that? You can have it.

Our School Resource Officer wears a standard issue bullet proof vest. This would not protect him from the fire of a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 .223, the gun used by Nicolas Cruz. If an SRO did respond to a shooter by returning gunfire there is also the chance that more innocent children would be hurt or killed by being caught in crossfire.

Nicolas Cruz legally bought a weapon and used it for its intended purpose: to efficiently kill many people in a short amount of time with little to no training required. It took 6 minutes to kill 17 people. To think that an SRO could somehow save the day without causing further harm or getting himself killed is a fantasy. I guess many of you would feel better if the SRO died trying. Not me. I'm glad one fewer person got killed that day.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

People felt this way in Australia too. And here in Canada. But if enough people get out and vote, and vote for people who are willing to take a stand on this issue even if it will not be popular among a section of society, then it can be possible. Yes, it's more difficult with your Second Amendment and the Supreme Court now being so right leaning. So you may need to keep voting and voting and voting, at every single level of government (and fundraise and donate just as much money if not more than the NRA and those who will oppose you) until the balance swings again, but I think this is the only path forward that you have. In all honesty, it's what the pro-life people have done. Pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed and never taken their eye off the political ball, and now they may be in a position to make the legislative changes that they have wanted since 1973. It's also what women's rights activities and civil rights activists and LGBTQ rights activists have done (think of how many decades it took to get gay marriage legal in the US, and yet here we are....). I just think enough people need to become determined enough and patient enough and persistent enough for change to eventually come.

Nicolas Cruz legally bought a weapon and used it for its intended purpose: to efficiently kill many people in a short amount of time with little to no training required. It took 6 minutes to kill 17 people. To think that an SRO could somehow save the day without causing further harm or getting himself killed is a fantasy. I guess many of you would feel better if the SRO died trying. Not me. I'm glad one fewer person got killed that day.

This, 1000%

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do remember and I felt safer. I understand your mileage may vary but I definitely felt safer. And I live in NYC and was 2 blocks from 9/11. I remembered it like it was yesterday.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cmd2014 yes I agree. In the meantime though I want to keep our children safe. However we need to do it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People felt this way in Australia too. And here in Canada. But if enough people get out and vote, and vote for people who are willing to take a stand on this issue even if it will not be popular among a section of society, then it can be possible. Yes, it's more difficult with your Second Amendment and the Supreme Court now being so right leaning. So you may need to keep voting and voting and voting, at every single level of government (and fundraise and donate just as much money if not more than the NRA and those who will oppose you) until the balance swings again, but I think this is the only path forward that you have. In all honesty, it's what the pro-life people have done. Pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed and never taken their eye off the political ball, and now they may be in a position to make the legislative changes that they have wanted since 1973. It's also what women's rights activities and civil rights activists and LGBTQ rights activists have done (think of how many decades it took to get gay marriage legal in the US, and yet here we are....). I just think enough people need to become determined enough and patient enough and persistent enough for change to eventually come.

I am back from our long day and can now post a few more thoughts if I may. It's hard typing on a phone while cycling.:cool2:

Yes we need to keep fighting and voting and donating to worthy causes we believe in but we cannot afford to sit back while we are fighting for change and have more people killed. While we are working towards being a smarter and safer country we must take steps now to prevent more murders.

There is no perfect comfortable solution. This is real life.

As I sit here at my desk on one of the last days of school I am grateful that we DON'T have armed militia guarding the place. I would quit and do something else if it ever comes to that. Do those who suggest this work in a place that is monitored like that? You can have it.

Why? While we are working towards our goal we need measures in place to prevent more mass murders. The Military is equipped to do this. The Police are not. An armed civilian guard is not.

Exactly. If there were military protecting them that day there would have been a very different outcome.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results