shape
carat
color
clarity

The Original DeBeers Ad That Started It All . . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We went to the Smithsonian* a few weeks back, and I saw the original DeBeers ad campaign, "A diamond is forever". I was surprised the ad is so artistic and attractive. I love the graphics.

Here's the copy: "Where is the storehouse strong enough to store the treasures of the heart — the soaring joy of a love-enchanted world — the first intent awareness when soul calls to soul? Her engagement diamond is a drop of magic flame fashioned through eons to preserve such scenes and memories in its shining lights. Safe from all harm, clear to her eyes, there she will see them always."

I loved the copy, which seemed to be one long, run-on sentence, full of carefully picked words and phrases, but that really did seem to continue, without end in sight, for quite some time, into the distance of memory, until the mists of time shrouded their meaning . . . (see what I did there? :naughty: ).

I also took a picture of the little price guide on the side of the display. Don't you wish we still had THOSE prices with today's dollars? Hellllooooo 10 carat! :dance:

I didn't spend too much time on the photo, since the display was near the much-needed cafeteria, but here it is.

Waddya think? Is this the thought that launched a thousand ships? Like it, hate it? To those that have read novels contemporary to that time, do you notice how even speech has trends and fashions? I always thought that was interesting.

*Thank you to everyone that helped us with travel info!! :wavey:

img_11811.jpg

img_11812.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
"Gosh, iLander, that's interesting, thanks!"

:sick: Phhhht! Phhht! Is this thing on? :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing, iLander. I read this the other night, but I didn't have anything to say about it that hadn't already been said by the copywriter and you.

:naughty: :lol: :saint:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Then it's my own fault, Monarch! I talk too much! :lol: :lol:

:bigsmile:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw it too, and liked it! Sorry I didn't get round to replying!

The ad is very flowery and long compared to today! Flowery language, I mean.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry - I saw it too and even googled for the year of it - just to see when you could have gotten a two carat diamond under $3500!

It started a fire storm didn't it - and I must admit, I love the saying! So many other things we buy just don't stand the test of time - I mean many, many years - but a diamond will still be there shining just as the day it was cut! Kinda gives me goosebumps - I'm sure a nerd for diamonds - lol!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Jambalaya|1464482683|4037525 said:
I saw it too, and liked it! Sorry I didn't get round to replying!

The ad is very flowery and long compared to today! Flowery language, I mean.

Isn't the copy (verbiage) funny? I've read books from the different decades, and it's funny how mannerisms and mode of expression seem to change so much.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1464483237|4037536 said:
Sorry - I saw it too and even googled for the year of it - just to see when you could have gotten a two carat diamond under $3500!

It started a fire storm didn't it - and I must admit, I love the saying! So many other things we buy just don't stand the test of time - I mean many, many years - but a diamond will still be there shining just as the day it was cut! Kinda gives me goosebumps - I'm sure a nerd for diamonds - lol!

The year is just off to right there - 1955. Or did I crop the photo wrong and get a different year from a different ad? I'm not sure now, I was rushing. :confused: Like I said, I could smell the cafeteria! :lol:

You're right, diamonds are pretty amazing. Billions of years and it all comes down to the shiny thing on your finger. :shock:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1464487335|4037581 said:
MissGotRocks|1464483237|4037536 said:

The year is just off to right there - 1955. Or did I crop the photo wrong and get a different year from a different ad? I'm not sure now, I was rushing. :confused: Like I said, I could smell the cafeteria! :lol:

You're right, diamonds are pretty amazing. Billions of years and it all comes down to the shiny thing on your finger. :shock:

Ha! I didn't even see the year - could it have been any bigger? LOL! I did read though when I googled that the phrase was born in the 40's. At the time, those in the planning of it didn't feel that it was even grammatically correct. Don't so many great things come from humble beginnings? It was probably just a slogan to them that might fade in a year or two. Little did they know!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
I just got done listening to a book on tape called "The Engagement," about the woman who coined "a diamond is forever." Cute book

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results