shape
carat
color
clarity

The ones that got away...

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I saw that there used to be a thread of vintage and antique jewelry that people lost out on but the thread is now closed. Inspired by my own recent (as in 20 seconds ago!) auction loss I decided to start a new one. Its painful :wall:but here is the ring I just lost out on on ebay, an antique rose cut bypass ring. It ended up being sold for just above my max bid! I'm not sure if I should had bid more but there was no carat weight listed (even though when I asked the seller said the stones were vvs and had no chips) and I was unsure if it could be resized (it was a tiny G in European sizes or 3.5 in US sizes and I'm about a 6).
Maybe one day I'll just have to recreate it! What do you think? Would it have been worth what it sold for? Anyone else lose out on something and have it be for the best in the end?

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful ring! I hate it when things go for just above my max bid. That's the worst and creates shoulda coulda wouldas!

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful ring! I hate it when things go for just above my max bid. That's the worst and creates shoulda coulda wouldas!

It is really pretty (seems to get prettier the now that I know I can't have it! :razz:) but I do wonder if it could have been resized without sort of mashing the two stones closer to each other. It sold for over 1k and I wasnt mentally prepared to spend that but it might have been worth it. There was a no return policy which also made me hesitate.

Back to ebay for me! :)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty ring but no refund policy + likely hundreds of dollars to resize with uncertain results = a lot of risk. I hope you find another one soon that meets all your criteria...there's almost always another one that pops up eventually. =)

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty ring but no refund policy + likely hundreds of dollars to resize with uncertain results = a lot of risk. I hope you find another one soon that meets all your criteria...there's almost always another one that pops up eventually. =)

True, thanks for the reassurance! You're right--I'm sure something else will pop up, this isn't the first time I've lost out and I'll get over it. The resizing thing was really the kicker, it would probably need a whole new shank. Thanks again :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see your attraction to that ring. It is gorgeous. For me there was a 14 gram 14k gold ring with some small gemstones that went just over my bid. Kicked myself for over a year now for being so cheap. The ring was so lovely and so well made. It would have been an awesome statement ring.

Next, I low balled a PS member's ring (on ebay) because the main stone had some tiny facet abrasions. It sold to another lucky buyer and I feel like I owe that PS member an apology for my offer. What was I thinking?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost out to a French double garnet in 18ct gold from the same seller! This one caught my eye as it's stunning, but I was after the garnets for my January daughter. It's so painful when something goes for a snip over your max bid. I lost out by 99 pence :knockout: Hope you can find something else as pretty.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5F654192-95C3-4421-B973-C0E1B7CB6EE2.jpeg Mine wasn’t jewellery, it was a Lalique Chameleon.
There is 10 in the collection. I had 9, the clear crystal one being the hardest to buy (they are no longer manufactured).
Back in those days (over 10 years ago), I used to bid on eBay “bid by bid”, and as a lady in the US was auctioning one. I pleaded with her (via email) to ship to Australia, she said was hesitant but knowing the clear one was one of the hardest to find and I had the other 9 she agreed. Right as the auction was closing, I lost internet access and couldn’t bid. I was gutted.
I messaged her again afterwards (so upset) and said if the winning bidder pulled out, I would definitely buy it. They didn’t pull out.
Some months later, another one in the US came up for auction. This time the seller refused to ship internationally. So again, my heart is broken.
I then got an email from the lady who auctioned the first one, telling me that about this other one up for auction. I said yes I know but this seller won’t ship to Australia.
So this lovely lady in the US, who sold the first one I missed out on, bid for me and won the auction, I sent her the money and after it was shipped to her (in the US) she then shipped it to me here in Australia.
I had my set of 10, thanks to a lovely complete stranger.

Marissa Stewart

Rough_Rock
Premium
5F654192-95C3-4421-B973-C0E1B7CB6EE2.jpeg Mine wasn’t jewellery, it was a Lalique Chameleon.
There is 10 in the collection. I had 9, the clear crystal one being the hardest to buy (they are no longer manufactured).
Back in those days (over 10 years ago), I used to bid on eBay “bid by bid”, and as a lady in the US was auctioning one. I pleaded with her (via email) to ship to Australia, she said was hesitant but knowing the clear one was one of the hardest to find and I had the other 9 she agreed. Right as the auction was closing, I lost internet access and couldn’t bid. I was gutted.
I messaged her again afterwards (so upset) and said if the winning bidder pulled out, I would definitely buy it. They didn’t pull out.
Some months later, another one in the US came up for auction. This time the seller refused to ship internationally. So again, my heart is broken.
I then got an email from the lady who auctioned the first one, telling me that about this other one up for auction. I said yes I know but this seller won’t ship to Australia.
So this lovely lady in the US, who sold the first one I missed out on, bid for me and won the auction, I sent her the money and after it was shipped to her (in the US) she then shipped it to me here in Australia.
I had my set of 10, thanks to a lovely complete stranger.
That's such a nice story!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results