shape
carat
color
clarity

The moment when..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kberrie22

Rough_Rock
You realized you wanted to marry the man you are with! My post on Kibbie''s topic "How important is Chemistry" kind of inspired me to post this topic. I would love to hear stories from you LIW''s or already engaged/married LIW''s of when you realized this was the man you wanted to spend your life with and why you believe he is worth the wait no matter how long. Just thought it might be a nice topic as we get closer to Valentines Day!

I look forward to reading all your wonderful stories
9.gif

kberrie22

Rough_Rock
my original post from the topic "How important is chemistry"

I agree that chemistry is important, but there is a difference between that instant *spark* and the love you develop for someone over time. I feel a deeper love for my SO now (after going thru lifes ups and downs) than I did when I first met him. When you become old as we all will (and I am talking in your 70''s and above) looks will have faded and what will be left will hopefully be a strong marriage, something that will last the test of time.

A little backround on me, when I went on vacation with my SO to mexico I got really REALLY sick, like need to go to the hospital right away kind of sick. He was the one who was there thru it all for me, holding the garbage bag in the cab for me to well..you know what in on the ride to the hospital (a foreign hospital no less which was freaking me out because I did not speak the language!). He was there waking up in the middle of the night to help translate for me what the nurses were giving me and help me speak to the doctor. He held me as I lay there sobbing wanting nothing but to get back to america where I felt more comfortable. He even carried all my bags (one of which was QUITE heavy) as i was wheeled around the airport (and thru customs) on the way back. This was the moment I realized that no matter the wait, I wanted to marry this man, this was also the moment that my infatuation and initial feeling of love for him turned to a feeling of deep love, the kind that can last the test of time. In that moment I knew that if I could wait for him to feel ready to propose I would be in for the love that only comes around once in a while. I guess I kinda rambled on there but the point is nice guy or not, you want to know you are with someone who, when you are in your later years will be there for you no matter what happens, good or bad, makeup or no makeup :) I am sure most of the gals aready engaged/ married on here probably have similar stories where they realized they wanted to marry the man they did.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
When he was willing to leave his friends, family, a much loved car, secure job and all his possesions behind and fly to the other side of the world, to a country he had never be to before, where he had nothing but the clothes in his suitcase and no imediate job prospects, to make a life with me. That''s when I knew he was a keeper
2.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 6:58:06 PM
Author: 4ever
When he was willing to leave his friends, family, a much loved car, secure job and all his possesions behind and fly to the other side of the world, to a country he had never be to before, where he had nothing but the clothes in his suitcase and no imediate job prospects, to make a life with me. That''s when I knew he was a keeper
2.gif
wow, that''s quite a story! tell that man to propose already! obviously he wants to be with you bad enough to do all that ...
9.gif

I think I started a thread like this a few months back (?)

I honestly didn''t have a "moment" ..

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''m curious about this topic and would love to hear others'' answers. Like Lilyfoot, though, I didn''t have a "moment." But from very early on (even before we actually met, as we "met" online) he could read me so well, better than people I''ve known for years. And then combined with his complete and total thoughtfulness while we''ve been traveling or while I was sick or anything else, it just really makes me think that this is a person that I would love to grow old with.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think I ever had a moment.. FI was ready to commit much earlier than I was, so the idea had a good while to grow on me. I went from not being able to talk about marriage at all to calling my would-be-ring an egg (I had a dream where we were fighting about which end of the egg to break a la gulliver''s travels, and he broke the big end and then gave me the egg...) to actually calling it a ring and wanting it - NOW - once he started requesting opinions on where to shop..

I will say that one of my most cherished memories is of drinking hot chocolate together after watching the ball drop on TV in 2008 - he drew this thing for me and I was like "it''s a squirrel!" to which he replied that no, it was in fact the profile view of my hand with a ring on my finger. He remains a terrible artist to this day, though he can trace awfully well
1.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I knew our first date that he was the right guy for me. I had only really known him for a month (we worked together) but I felt like I had known him forever, like in a past life. When I got home that night there was something in my head saying "Don''t mess this up, don''t let this one get away, this is the guy for you!"

And he still is, 3 years and a daughter later.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 8:52:32 PM
Author: lilyfoot

2.gif
wow, that''s quite a story! tell that man to propose already! obviously he wants to be with you bad enough to do all that ...
9.gif
Well, I''m not the only one waiting in our relationship. He''d love to propose but we decided it wouldn''t be right to be engaged untill 1) I graduated uni (tick) 2) I got a job and 3) we got a place all to ourselves.

Hopefully it wont be too much longer, but I figgure these things are worth waiting for
1.gif

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 10:17:11 PM
Author: yssie
I don''t think I ever had a moment.. FI was ready to commit much earlier than I was, so the idea had a good while to grow on me. I went from not being able to talk about marriage at all to calling my would-be-ring an egg (I had a dream where we were fighting about which end of the egg to break a la gulliver''s travels, and he broke the big end and then gave me the egg...) to actually calling it a ring and wanting it - NOW - once he started requesting opinions on where to shop..

I will say that one of my most cherished memories is of drinking hot chocolate together after watching the ball drop on TV in 2008 - he drew this thing for me and I was like ''it''s a squirrel!'' to which he replied that no, it was in fact the profile view of my hand with a ring on my finger. He remains a terrible artist to this day, though he can trace awfully well
1.gif

That''s such a cute story! "It''s a squirrel!" LOL.

I don''t think I had a real "moment" where I looked at him or he did something and I said "he''s the one." I do recall the exact moment I realized he was the one for me. I was sitting at my desk at work, drifting off into space (when I should have been working) and I was thinking back to moments in our relationship and I realized he was the one for me. The weird thing is that all the moments I was thinking about were hideously embarrassing for me! Let''s just say he''s the one since he can handle watching me throw up repeatedly, can handle being thrown up on (I had stomach flu a lot in our relationship) and can walk in on me in the bathroom (he needs to learn how to knock) and not even blink. The biggest reason I know he''s the one I want to marry is because he cares for my family like they were his own and they love him back too, even my dad who''s very hard to win over.
30.gif

kberrie22

Rough_Rock

2.gif
9.gif

I honestly didn''t have a ''moment'' ..
Oh, sorry Lilyfoot I did not realize you already posted a topic like this one. Sorry didn''t mean to step on anyone''s toes here, just wanted to start a fun little topic
1.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 11:54:06 PM
Author: Kitcha

Date: 2/8/2010 10:17:11 PM
Author: yssie
I don't think I ever had a moment.. FI was ready to commit much earlier than I was, so the idea had a good while to grow on me. I went from not being able to talk about marriage at all to calling my would-be-ring an egg (I had a dream where we were fighting about which end of the egg to break a la gulliver's travels, and he broke the big end and then gave me the egg...) to actually calling it a ring and wanting it - NOW - once he started requesting opinions on where to shop..

I will say that one of my most cherished memories is of drinking hot chocolate together after watching the ball drop on TV in 2008 - he drew this thing for me and I was like 'it's a squirrel!' to which he replied that no, it was in fact the profile view of my hand with a ring on my finger. He remains a terrible artist to this day, though he can trace awfully well
1.gif

That's such a cute story! 'It's a squirrel!' LOL.

I don't think I had a real 'moment' where I looked at him or he did something and I said 'he's the one.' I do recall the exact moment I realized he was the one for me. I was sitting at my desk at work, drifting off into space (when I should have been working) and I was thinking back to moments in our relationship and I realized he was the one for me. The weird thing is that all the moments I was thinking about were hideously embarrassing for me! Let's just say he's the one since he can handle watching me throw up repeatedly, can handle being thrown up on (I had stomach flu a lot in our relationship) and can walk in on me in the bathroom (he needs to learn how to knock) and not even blink. The biggest reason I know he's the one I want to marry is because he cares for my family like they were his own and they love him back too, even my dad who's very hard to win over.
30.gif
Yes - now I think about it, this, exactly! How bizarre
9.gif

aren't dads always the toughest to win over?
1.gif

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Like others, I didn''t really have a specific moment. It was more of a realization over time. Like PinkAsscher, I always felt like I had known him forever. We met on a blind date, but there really was this instant connection. I wouldn''t call it love at first sight, but I definitely felt like this was something that was going to be worth my time and wasn''t going to cause me heartache. He also is very thoughtful of me, as I am of him. Just this morning, he brushed all 6 inches of snow off my car for me even though he didn''t have any gloves! He''s not one of those guys who always does super romantic things for me. But, I really love that he doesn''t. He pays attention to the smaller things, like brushing my car off, or turning on the heating blanket before I get into bed, and so many other things. These small things may not be important to anyone else, but they really make me feel loved and pampered. Plus, he sure knows how to take care of me when I''m sick. All this combined, he''s simply the greatest guy!
30.gif
30.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 12:46:34 AM
Author: kberrie22

2.gif
9.gif

I honestly didn''t have a ''moment'' ..
Oh, sorry Lilyfoot I did not realize you already posted a topic like this one. Sorry didn''t mean to step on anyone''s toes here, just wanted to start a fun little topic
1.gif
Oh no, kberrie, that''s not what I meant .. I honestly can''t remember if I started a topic like this (pretty sure I did, but am too lazy to go look). I just wanted to point it out because you could find it and read more stories, if you wanted to. Definitely not stepping on my toes at all!

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
The moment I knew I wanted to marry my now FI was when I was in my first year teaching and was sick all the time. I had strep throat and was feeling pretty miserable and he started dancing around the kitchen and singing to cheer me up. At that moment I thought "I am going to marry this man and he is going to make an AMAZING husband and father to my children".
emsmile.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
This is probably going to come across as superficial but it was when he bought me my watch.

It was a few months after we graduated college and we had just started living together. We met up after work because we both had half day Fridays in the summer and I was killing sometime browsing on 5th avenue before he got out when I fell in love with this watch in Burberry. I went and told him I fell in love with this watch and he decided to go take a look with me. He agreed that while it was nice it was way too expensive to buy "just because" but he would get it for me for Christmas if I still wanted it then. I agreed it was too much money and we continued browsing. He decided he could use a new polo shirt so ended up buying one there, and it was funny because it took forever, I thought the sales associate was so slow and we would never leave. Later on that day he pulled out my watch! Turns out the sales associate was so slow because he had to go to another level to secretly get it. Up until this point my bf (now DH) had a reputation for being very selfish so I was so touched that he decided to surprise me with the watch I really wanted, it was very unusual at that point in our relationship.

A few months later he actually asked me when I knew I would marry him and I told him the watch story! I still get a ton of compliments on my watch and it makes me smile because I remember how it was a turning point in our relationship.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
2.gif
Does he have a brother?
2.gif

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 11:21:51 AM
Author: kribbie

2.gif
Does he have a brother?
2.gif
Nope, he''s one of a kind
2.gif
.....and an only child.

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I knew he was the one 3 months before we were even officially dating. We went to St. Louis, MO with a group of friends to watch a Packers/Rams game. He went out of his way for me the entire weekend, paying for everything, opening doors, and being so incredibly sweet to me. This was out of character because he is such a joker and I''ve always just been one of the guys so to be treated that way was so different...but THE moment was when he strategically organized the sleeping arrangements and we were in a bed together. I woke up in the middle of the night and his arms were wrapped around me so tight, and it felt so good. I remember having tingles through my entire body and being so enamored by the gesture and thinking how well we "fit" and I never wanted him to let go. So far he hasn''t.

Cj

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 6:26:38 PM
Author: pinki
I knew he was the one 3 months before we were even officially dating. We went to St. Louis, MO with a group of friends to watch a Packers/Rams game. He went out of his way for me the entire weekend, paying for everything, opening doors, and being so incredibly sweet to me. This was out of character because he is such a joker and I''ve always just been one of the guys so to be treated that way was so different...but THE moment was when he strategically organized the sleeping arrangements and we were in a bed together. I woke up in the middle of the night and his arms were wrapped around me so tight, and it felt so good. I remember having tingles through my entire body and being so enamored by the gesture and thinking how well we ''fit'' and I never wanted him to let go. So far he hasn''t.

Cj
I know what you mean .. me and FI "dated" for about 2 months before actually becoming officially boyfriend and girlfriend.

I knew when I said yes to being his girlfriend, that was the last time I''d ever be anyones girlfriend
30.gif
4.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
We were out to dinner and my DH was talking about some boring accounting thing and I realized I cared about what he said and that I loved him. lol

nikki2011

Rough_Rock
I knew he was the one when I realized I had more respect for him than anyone I''ve ever met in my life. He has so much integrity in his interaction with others, he''s considerate, he''s unbelievably hard working, he''s calm (never yells, swears in anger -- I can''t stand yellers), and he puts 100% into everything he does.

I also knew when I realized when I knew that I''m as important to him as he is to me. We are both so busy with work, but we both make time for each other and support each other no matter what. He always makes me feel loved, wanted and safe.

It''s so hard to express in words, I just know. I can see myself with him tomorrow, at the altar, having our first child, and still being playful when we''re old and gray. And I don''t want to imagine anything after that!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results