shape
carat
color
clarity

The Lost Daughter

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just watched The Lost Daughter on Netflix. I highly recommend it. It is definitely a thought provoking portrayal of motherhood. Olivia Colman is fantastic.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it sad? I've been on the fence, worrying it might be a real downer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We watched that a few weeks ago. It was terrific!

@PinkAndBlueBling yes, I found it sad.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We watched it too. It was amazing to watch Olivia Coleman’s acting. She can convey so much through expression, even without dialogue. She’s a fascinating actor.
Really good story.

Last edited:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very much a downer lol.

Spoilers below!!!
What does everyone think of the ending? I think the pure perfect orange meant that she died. Apparently in the book the ending is different - she is speaking to her kids and exclaims that she is dead but fine, whereas in the movie she wakes up and tells her kids that she is alive.

I also didnt get why the husband/dad and family was so weird to her.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really wanted to see this when they released a trailer for it before it was released. I haven’t watched it yet. @Gussie, and @Bonfire could this movie be applied to parenthood in general or do you feel it definitely is reflective of motherhood?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, thanks for the recommendation. When I read that it was based on a book by Elena Ferrante, I was immediately intrigued. For those who have not watched My Brilliant Friend (HMO series), it is also really good series based on Elena Ferrante's books.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Motherhood. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who’s not watched it. Women have been conditioned to accept motherhood as nothing but joyful and fulfilling. It’s been a taboo subject to portray anything otherwise. It’s a liberating depiction of some women’s experience with career and motherhood.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bonfire.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure @Calliecake ;-) I hate to give too much away, but it’s a well acted and directed film (Maggie Gyllenhaal did an amazing job). I think we’ll definitely see awards for this film at Oscar time.
Another film I liked was The Power of The Dog. Which was also directed by a woman. But that’s another story! =)2

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I just watched this film over the weekend and I loved it, but then again, I'm a fan of character studies. I thought it was awkward and real, and I like that..I didn't find it depressing, but I think life is complicated. I think being a human can be hard and it's refreshing (hmm.. maybe refreshing is the wrong word, lol) to see depictions of people who are kind completely screwed up. Olivia Coleman is amazing!!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How depressing are we talking?

It really shows a complicated reality of motherhood that is rarely talked about. I wasn't "sad" after I watched it. I didn't cry. But I felt such sorrow for her (Colman).

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Motherhood. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who’s not watched it. Women have been conditioned to accept motherhood as nothing but joyful and fulfilling. It’s been a taboo subject to portray anything otherwise. It’s a liberating depiction of some women’s experience with career and motherhood.

@Calliecake, as well as the career aspect @Bonfire mentioned, it also shows the loss of freedom and of self that comes with motherhood.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Bonfire and @Gussie, I lost my dad after Christmas and thought if this could be applied to parenthood vs. motherhood it may be too hard to watch right now. I really want to see it.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @Calliecake I’m so sorry to hear that. My condolences for the loss of your dad.

Last edited:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake, I'm so very sorry for your loss. <3
Sending comfort during this hard time.

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Calliecake, I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers and hugs for you and your family.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did any of you ever watch Daldry’s The Hours—if you haven’t—it’s a must in regard to social commentaries about social expectations for f motherhood, marriage, etc.

@Calliecake sorry for your loss.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I watched The Lost Daughter last night, and it I was definitely a thought-provoking movie. To me, it was not a sad movie, it made me angry. Her character is the polar opposite of me. Every dialogue, every interaction made me wince….I kept going back to Kenny’s
famous line….people vary! I guess Olivia Coleman is a great actor if they were able to evoke such a strong feeling of anger in me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results