shape
carat
color
clarity

The likely end of President Trump and many of his policies

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a fairly large group of individuals who support President Trump, very vocally. President Trump plays to them.

However, the reality is that most elections are not won or lost by just vocal groups. They are won or lost based on money - and how that money is spent.

For many decades (if not over a century) the Republican Party mainly depended on Business for donations and other forms of support.

My personal opinion is that the Republican Party left me (or what part of me they once had): If you want to discuss conservative fiscal policy, the appropriate limited role of government, and many other true conservative policies (which do not include modern and historically strange religious views; and actually includes a much broader version of personal rights than the current Republican Party); I'm likely in for that (and I respect those who have other positions - and hope to find workable middle ground). It is also my personal opinion that President Trump - and the this years Republican Party represents none of that (in fact - they represent the opposite in many cases).

It's not just me: I have not met a business person (man or woman) in the last 3 months who is not looking where to better put their political contributions... and it's not going to the Republican National Party - or even the State Party in many cases...

I see a seismic shift in future political funding starting. I think for the good; because these people are almost always focusing on individual candidates - independent of party. They are even encouraging people to run for office (usually at the local level first - which they have rarely done before).

The result is that I believe that the Republican Party will not be able to run that effective of a campaign in 2020. A lot of other people - and even the Democratic Party - is going to gain substantially in funding - and increase their effectiveness.

President Trump will almost certainly retain his base... But, National elections are never won by the base... they are won by the swing voters... and the swing voters are affected by political adds and commentary. The bulk of that money now appears to be headed to the "anti" President Trump and "anti" today's Republican Party.

For the record. I live in Wisconsin - where most people are not registered with either party - and elections are always won and lost by how the independent voters vote. In my heart I'm one of those independents. I have never registered with either party. When I was younger I leaned Democratic. In my 30's I leaned Republican and became very interested in the Limited Role of Government and Fiscal Responsibility. However, I always have voted for whom I believed was the best candidate - regardless of party.

To sum this up: President Trump is acting very badly for Business... Bad for Business is bad for jobs too... The Businesses are realizing that President Trump believes what he personally believes and cares not one iota about them. Make American Great Again may have been a great slogan. Bankrupting business and causing massive job losses won't do that - and that is where the USA is headed with the trade war.

Business is leaving the Republican Party and starting to spend their money and influence to counteract President Trump and his supporters. Business (collectively) actually controls much of the purse strings in America.

I predict an interesting year or two ahead of us... for those of us who watch long term political developments.

These changes will not be instant (and I know many who want such instant changes)... But, I don't think there will actually be much of any Republican Party in 6 years if they stay with their current policies and beliefs.

Personally, I think the time is ripe for the rise of a 3rd National Party. Not sure it would happen. But, from an historical perspective there has never been a better time.

Have a great day,

Perry

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Business is leaving the Republican Party and starting to spend their money and influence to counteract President Trump and his supporters. Business (collectively) actually controls much of the purse strings in America.

I predict an interesting year or two ahead of us... for those of us who watch long term political developments.
...​

Personally, I think the time is ripe for the rise of a 3rd National Party. Not sure it would happen. But, from an historical perspective there has never been a better time.

I enjoyed reading your posting, perry, as I often do. I am not sure whether a third political party will emerge, or whether the Republican Party will go through some interesting changes at some point once Donald Trump's popularity divides the Party completely. Or his presidency (and thus his power) ends. I do think it is wise to keep an eye on the economy, however. Because even if many people would forgive Trump for shooting someone on Fifth Avenue, they will not forgive him if they cannot afford to buy as much as they did before he came into office. Walmart is my favorite store. I wonder if I am going to see price increases there due to Trump's tariffs. I used to love to buy stretchy tank tops/camisoles for under $2.00 each. They made see through white blouses possible.

AGBF

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These changes will not be instant (and I know many who want such instant changes)... But, I don't think there will actually be much of any Republican Party in 6 years if they stay with their current policies and beliefs.

Perry
They say that about the GOP 6 yrs ago. As of today there isn't one (D) who can beat Trump in 2020. What are the (Ds) gonna run on?

A lawLESS country by getting rid of ICE?. Our horrible economy with low unemployment? By calling Trump every nasty name in the book?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the Republican Party left me. I didn’t vote for Trump. He is a buffoon.

HOWEVER.... and I hate that I am going to say this—- we are so much better off financially since he took office. 401k is soaring and the tax cuts- wow, just wow. We finally had our taxes finished (we file late every year) and OMG.... we don’t have to pay quarterlies this year— which is incredible.

I absolutely believe he will be re elected. I wish the Republican Party would die, and they will eventually (at least this old man iteration). For right now, he is their future.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOWEVER.... and I hate that I am going to say this—- we are so much better off financially since he took office. 401k is soaring and the tax cuts- wow, just wow.
According to the Dems. tax cuts only benefit the super rich, so how does it feel to be in the 1%er club?. :clap: Time for more new bling, blings. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOWEVER.... and I hate that I am going to say this—- we are so much better off financially since he took office. 401k is soaring and the tax cuts- wow, just wow. We finally had our taxes finished (we file late every year) and OMG.... we don’t have to pay quarterlies this year— which is incredible.

I absolutely believe he will be re elected.

Whether he is elected may depend on how most Americans perceive they are doing financially, whitewave. This poll, at least (and I do not claim it is definitive), shows that some people do not feel the way that you do. You may be in a higher income bracket.

http://wbgo.org/post/poll-middle-class-not-doing-well-expected-trump-took-office#stream/0

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether he is elected may depend on how most Americans perceive they are doing financially, whitewave. This poll, at least (and I do not claim it is definitive), shows that some people do not feel the way that you do. You may be in a higher income bracket.

http://wbgo.org/post/poll-middle-class-not-doing-well-expected-trump-took-office#stream/0

Yes, but even my Sis and BIL who are Green Party voters are noticing a difference (nurse and educator). He has been unemployed for 1.5 years. Last month he landed his dream job, they are selling their house in a seller’s market, moving 4 hours north to a buyer’s market and might actually wind up with little to no mortgages (nor cal!).

I’m certainly not going to bat for Trump or the Republicans.

I do think he will be re-elected though. Only time will tell.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to the Dems. tax cuts only benefit the super rich, so how does it feel to be in the 1%er club?. :clap: Time for more new bling, blings. :lol:

Gee. I wish I could afford to set my sapphire lol. That would be nice.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Rebulican Party is now the Trump Party. They allowed him to take it over. Now they need to own it.

Trump would not last 5 minutes in a large corporation. His career would be over after one speech.

Things like clean air, clean water and treating all people like they matter is important to half the country. I would gladly give back our stock gains to not worry about what kind of country my nieces and nephews will have to live in.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Rebulican Party is now the Trump Party. They allowed him to take it over. Now they need to own it.

Trump would not last 5 minutes in a large corporation. His career would be over after one speech.

Things like clean air, clean water and treating all people like they matter is important to half the country. I would gladly give back our stock gains to not worry about what kind of country my nieces and nephews will have to live in.

Unfortunately, I think we're going to give up our stock gains along with our environment and ethics.
:(

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We live in a global economy with our economies intertwined. It is complicated and while I definitely feel there will be adverse economic impacts, we don't know when they will hit. Also, because of the rulings which has injected more and more spending on campaigning and lobbying, as long as rich people can influence elections, it might not even matter what "reality" is, as long as people believe that reality. We are at the point Trump can say black is white and night is day, ant 30+% of people will believe and defend his statements.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the time has come for the third party.

Both parties have left me. While Republicans never were my party, 14 Democrats voting "nay" on Klobuchar's bill left me feeling like a complete idiot (once upon a time, in 2012, I lost my absentee ballot and was straddled in the polling station where two machines went out of order - so that at 3 am I could cast my vote for Sen. Patty Murray. The race was that tight. When she voted "nay" six years later, my first thought was, "I should never spend an extra second on politicians, period").

So I am independent now, too. Looking at countries like Germany, I think that several parties would mean some competition between the politicians.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I think we're going to give up our stock gains along with our environment and ethics.
:(
Yup,Very possible as interest rate keep on raising.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results