shape
carat
color
clarity

The Ideal-Scope meets AGS & GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been attempting to keep up with the chatter and printed information on the future of diamond cut grading. Cut parameters, such as those found in AGA, are going to play a part in the future of grading, but a major part will be light behavior grading. While the light performance of diamonds extends to many unusual configurations, good craftsmanship does not correlate in every respect to high light return. Therefore, there will be super performing diamonds that are eliminated from being the top grade of overall cut becuase they do not meet certain, as yet unrevealed cut parameters.

What does strike me now is that the simple Ideal-Scope gives a user an excellent idea of how well light is performing. If combined with AGA grading, you would be assured of a top cut stone. Top cut in AGS or GIA may well extend to different parameters, but it may be much more difficult for an appraiser to assess the GIA or AGS grade. These organizations may not make it easy for outsiders to reproduce their grading parameters. AGS says it will offer the software to members at some point, but GIA has no reason to offer this, other than many people would willingly pay to have it. I have not heard they are considering offering their grading software outside the lab.

So it may well be that the Ideal-Scope will become a very popular diamond dealer tool because it will tell a dealer if the stone is potentially a top cut stone regardless of parameters. As this light behavior strategy is adopted by the trade, it will filter down to consumers, who will also find the Ideal-Scope more and more useful in interpreting lab results. The major labs are, in essence, on the verge of adopting the strategy of Ideal-Scope grading although by a much more technical and quantitative approach.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dave
Some time back someone posted “ you can’t fool the Idealscope” For us this certainly has been true.
Since meeting Gary some years back we have been using his systems for our bulk buying.
Sort with Ideal Scope then confirm and log with Sarin.

Very fast and efficient

Johan

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
And who knows?

Maybe we will find stones with excellent IdealScope images, that based on other data we would not have expected such good performance.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you want to find diamonds with excellent Ideal-scope images, just look at the range of HCA proportions that appear red on the chart.

I have not seen the latest Gems & Gemology because I am in Oz and it comes slowly (although the Editor has kindly mailed me an additional copy by air mail - Thanks Alice). but Marty has his copy - and it has an article on the "Foundation" of the new GIA system. I have no doubt that as does the AGS system match up with HCA - so too wil, the GIA system. This is not because they are copying HCA or MSU's / OctoNus charts from 1999, it is because we are all reporting on the same phsyical object.

As you often say Dave - we are in interesting times. The dinasuars ought get an ideal-scope and use it rather than abuse it. It works. it is quick. It is cheap. It is portable. It can improve your sex life (as discussed in Johan's heavily censored thread). What else does a man or a woman need in life?

Patty

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/21/2004 8:54:45 PM Garry H (Cut Nut) wrote:

What else does a man or a woman need in life?
----------------

Cold beer at a reasonable price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results