shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT The Greatest Engagement Story!!!

Diamond_Newb

Rough_Rock
Mind you, i am bias for sure because i planned it and Disney really surprised me too but, all in all it turned out to be an amazing engagement. You tell me what you think...I apologize in advance for the really really long novel (you have been warned) but i had to share!!

Hello everyone! First let me start by saying my name is not Dave...it is actually Jason. I was using an alias (in the beginning) since i was worried my GF (Priscilla) would stumble upon this website and blow the element of surprise. She is very analytical and extremely tough to surprise. Second i want to apologize for this novel that i am about to write. I was thinking to do this in installments in order to break up this massive amount of information. Lastly, I want to thank those that helped me at Rocky Talkly regarding the diamond, WhiteFlash & D Vatche for an amazing ring (and resizing), Richard Sherwood, and Joseph Tenhagen! I am writing this in part because, I feel I owe those that helped me make my proposal what it became...truly special!!

In the beginning there was my quest to find a diamond: http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=135510
After about a month of searching, i narrowed it down "The Diamond" http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=137106

The Ring

The Rock: White Flash ACA 1.047 G VS2 Princess Cut
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2231087.htm

Setting: D Vatche x Prong Princess in platinum
PJRing1.jpg

Now for the fun part

The Proposal (Long Disney Story)

Background:
Priscilla and I have been dating 11 years (as of May 21st 2010). Sure most say “it’s about time” but we are High School sweet hearts, went to college together, she went to law school, and last year we bought a house. We have been through a lot together and don't come from families with money so we have to be cautious how we spend our money (knowing weddings are expensive let alone the ring). The house was a tough decision because marriage was the obvious next step but with the housing market the way it is/was, and knowing we couldn't do both, we knew buying a house was a smart investment! Regardless we took things slow and calculated and tried to make smart decisions. Some would also say why ruin a good thing….which we knew we had!
Priscilla is a huge Disney fan and my family are Disney fanatics! Priscilla and I have been a couple dozen times throughout our relationship plus dozens more as kids!! When proposal ideas floated through my head Disney seemed the obvious choice!

Pre-Planning:
I bought the ring in early March so I had plenty of time to plan before our 11 year anniversary. We hadn’t been on a vacation since December and hadn’t been to Disney in over a year which was like 5 years for us!! We both needed get away and so i used that as a diversion. I suggested to her that maybe we should get away for a weekend…nonchalantly suggesting Disney. Hook line and sinker, I had Priscilla thinking it was her idea to go to Disney. Then I decided to get my mom involved. One of only 5 people that actually knew about the proposal and my mom was the only family member that knew! Being an event coordinator, my mother had a Disney rep. that she contacted to see if they could help me. I clued my GF in the idea of using my moms Disney rep. to see if we could get a "discounted room". When that fell through I mentioned that the Disney rep. might leave something for us at the room to compensate. This was the ultimate setup incognito style!

The Plan:
The Disney rep. then got me in touch with the art department, entertainment department, photography department and the florist department. My plan was simple, to have a fake certificate made and left at our hotel room. Basically it would be for a “Complimentary” caricature drawing. This would be the setup and give us a location and time that Priscilla could not deviate from. Photos of Priscilla and I would be sent in advance to an artist to draw a caricature sketch of us. Of course me on a knee and holding a ring with the words “Will you marry me?” over my head. Then after the sketch they would hand it to her and I would drop to a knee and propose. Last I wanted to plan leaving an arrangement at the hotel that included a glass slipper, champagne, and a princess proclamation (proclaiming Priscilla a Princess). This was my initial plan and it took a month of planning and working things out with multiple people. I would have no clue how amazing everything would come together!! Trust me when i tell you a lot came down to the last week before we left. :-o

Day One (The Setup):
We arrive at the hotel (Saratoga Springs) and get greeted by the manager while checking in…definitely more enthusiasm than normal and I was praying they wouldn’t blow it! Alas I used it to my advantage and told Priscilla that my moms rep must have mentioned we were coming and maybe she left something in the room (since I told her that only once weeks prior and made no significance of it back then). She was all excited and started bouncing ideas of maybe wine, tickets, etc. So we get to the room and attached to a few balloons is a red envelope with a certificate that looks like a 5th grader produced it LOL. At first I was thinking oh man this is not good…it didn’t look authentic at all LOL (no offense to the lady that did it but i knew Priscilla would question it). Regardless it had a date, time, and location Animal Kingdom. Well in true Priscilla fashion she starts questioning why it had to be at Animal Kingdom and how do they know we have tickets…and we were planning on going to Hollywood Studios…and why does it have to be at a certain time…they could draw us whenever. This is weird. Of course I had to pull an evasive maneuver…I told her that we should just go because its my moms contact and we shouldn’t upset her…plus I mentioned that we have tickets when I spoke to her about a hotel. So while that worked Priscilla still couldn’t get around the specific time and further questioned…finally she said maybe we are going to be in a parade…BINGO…I have a way out. :lol: So I ran with a parade plus all kinds of other ideas that she came up with. Eventually we just laughed about it and headed to Epcot for the night. Had dinner at Coral Reef Restaurant which was phenomenal plus they put us right next to the glass for the giant aquarium. Couldn’t have been more perfect start.
P4300310.jpg
P4300313.jpg
The Re-Enactment
P4300320.jpg
P4300324.jpg

Day Two Part One (The Big Day):
We got up early and I tried to keep my cool through the morning even though my stomach was all over the place. Grabbed the ring and threw it in one of my cargo shorts pockets! We had breakfast and surprisingly I was pretty calm at least on the outside. Headed to Animal Kingdom and we still joked about what we were doing which was an easy way to divert my anxiety. Once we got there, I introduced myself and handed him the paper. Right away the guy says that he was waiting for us and sits us down. Now I am not sure if the guy was nervous or not a talker but he only said 2 things the entire 5-10mins we were there…”Smile” and “Where are you from”. He didn’t even ask how we want to be drawn but he did have a crazy smile on himself…I figure he was as nervous as I was LOL. Considering it was a slightly awkward situation no attention was on me which was great…after the short time sitting there he tells Priscilla to close her eyes. Her response “Do I really have too” LOL. He said yes and they slipped out the real drawing from underneath the mock drawing and handed it to her (Mind you the Art Department never showed me what it looked like). This was a beautifully drawn work of art in full color that even had me stunned…considering we there for a short time the color caught Priscilla off guard and then she read it. “Oh my god is this really happening” she said…I dropped to a knee while she filled with tears…I said “Don’t cry, I Love You and Will You Marry Me”. She utter Yes and I put the ring on. It was a perfect execution. After taking pictures, calling friends and family, we headed to guest relations. We tried to grab a photographer for some pictures but we were unsuccessful but Disney gave us the infamous “Just Engaged” buttons to wear. Little did we know that it was just the beginning of the trip of a lifetime…as if the proposal wasn’t enough already! We went back to the art stand and took some mock pictures and found a photographer in the park for some Disney photos too. We did a few rides and then headed back to the hotel for more phone calls (yes our cell bill was nuts that month) and get ready for Hollywood Studios (remember that was the plan initially hahaha).

P5010333.jpg
IMG_0089_0.jpg
P5010334.jpg
button_0.jpg

Day Two Part Two (What Policy)
So we had purchased a 4 day play pass (no park hopper) from Disney for $100. On previous visits we were able to use 2 days in 1 day and visit a different park. Essentially using 4 days in 3 days. Well turns out Disney changed its policy and now its only one day one park. We had no clue and somewhat upset we talked to guest relations (while still wearing the button hoping to pull strings LOL). Basically the guys said it was never like that and if we wanted we could add a park hopper for another $30 each…we tried to explain (we both knew we had done it before) but since it was such a wonderful day already we decided maybe we would just head back to the hotel for drinks and the pool. Just then another guest was raising his voice about the same thing…so we sat back and watched it all unfold. :naughty: We figured if they get helped we would too :razz: Eventually the Disney guy who argued with us pulls us into a room and apologizes for the inconvenience and said that it was a directive from his manager not to let people in…Turns out 3 other guests at the same time had the same exact issue. He said that he would take care of us and be right back…He comes back with Mickey ears with a top hat and veil plus passes to get into the park. We took pictures, thanked him and headed into the park for a great time!
P5010339.jpg

Day Two Part Three (Basket??)
So after a beautiful day, we headed back to the resort and stopped by the bar. Still wearing our engagement buttons, we received a congratulations and a glass on champagne on the house (per the manager). The day was absolutely perfect. After drinks we made our way back to the room where I was hoping to surprise Priscilla with a basket filled with champagne, a glass slipper and the princess proclamation. Unfortunately it was not there. :o But after such a nice day I wasn’t crushed by this but it would have definitely been icing on the cake.

P5010342.jpg

Day Three Part One (Surprise)
Next morning I called up the florist and told her about the basket. I mention that since it was such an amazing day I didn’t feel the need to make a big deal about it but i still wanted to know where it was. Well apparently she made a big deal and was crushed for me!! The hotel’s mix-up set up a chain reaction that eventually left us speechless. While on the phone with family they delivered the basket and Priscilla was completely surprised. The basket was amazing with a beautiful glass slipper, champagne with glass flutes, and the frame with the Princess Proclamation which Priscilla got a kick out of. Moments later we received a phone call from the front desk at Saratoga Springs on my cell asking what are plans were for the day. We were planning on going to the Magic Kingdom since it was open until 2am!! They asked if we had dinner reservations and if they would mind if they set something up for us…of course we said sure!! So the manager scheduled a “Sweetheart Dinner” for two at Fort Wilderness lodge. It included custom menu with our names, champagne, glasses to keep, and an amazing dinner all on Disney! We were stunned and very excited. So we headed to the park (of course with our buttons on hehehe) and spent a few hours enjoying our time. Hoping to be able to return to the park to watch the fireworks too.
P5020354_0.jpg
P5020362_0.jpg
Sorry only hand shot i got and i got a stupid glare :angryfire:
P5020352_1.jpg
P5020365_0.jpg

Day Three Part Two (Another Surprise)
So after spending a few hours at the park we took a ferry over to Fort Wilderness lodge. We headed over to the bar and had a few drinks until our dinner reservation. I then got another call from the front desk at Saratoga Springs. The manager told me that after dinner we were to go to the front desk at Fort Wilderness Lodge and ask for Cody. He would have something special for us. Priscilla and I were again shocked and started guessing what it could be. We then headed to Artist Point restaurant for our dinner. The waiter was super nice and the champagne, dinner, and dessert were perfect. Plus the champagne glasses we got to keep were beautiful. We finished up dinner and headed over to the front desk with excitement to see what they had in store for us. Cody and Jaclyn greeted us with a big smiles and explained that our manager from Saratoga Springs wanted him to do something special for our engagement. So they took us up to the top floor with the suites and showed us around giving us access to the concierge lounge for some more champagne and desserts on the house. He then checked his watch and told us the real surprise was outside. So they led us up to the roof of the fort wilderness lodge which had stairs on the side of the building and was dark and not well lit….totally not an Disney area people go. It felt like we were going to a secret location. Once we got to the top, he explained how this spot is where a few lucky families come to raise the flags in the morning. Also it is one of the few locations that you can see all the Disney parks and multiple hotels. Most don’t get to see the view at night but cast members from time to time come to see the spectacular view and watch fireworks. Yup fireworks, Cody timed it so we could watch Magic Kingdoms “Wishes” firework display. Priscilla and I enjoyed the show overlooking the castle and space mountain. The view was incredible. We could see the Contemporary, Epcot, Hollywood Studios (MGM), Polynesian, Grand Floridian and more. Unfortunately, the camera couldn’t capture the view but it will be a great memory forever.
P5020372_0.jpg
Any Top Chef Fans - This would have won a quick fire!!!
P5020376_0.jpg
P5020373.jpg
P5020384_0.jpg

Day Three Part Three (Speechless)
So we finished our time on the roof top and we thanked Cody and Jaclyn for a spectacular time. Headed outside and at this point it was 10pm so we started to debate whether to go back to the Park or maybe just call it a night. Figured we have a bottle of champagne already at the hotel and after a long and exciting weekend we could use some RNR. The bus ride back we couldn’t help but think how amazing the whole trip has been. We get to our hotel and I open the door...and see rose petals on the ground…stunned I open the door all the way and I am welcomed to rose petals all over the room…a rose petal heart on the bed, balloons and a small package with chocolate and a frame, on the table a bottle of champagne (1999 Perrier Jouet which I couldn’t believe that), chocolate covered strawberries, and a full patter of fruits and chesses (I know more food OMG we were already so full). Both of our jaws hit the floor. It was like an overwhelming urge of joy, excitement, and confusion hit us all at once. We saw that the card was from the florist that I ordered the original basket from. Apparently they wanted to make up for the mistake too. I realized that when I was creating the original basket for Priscilla, I wanted rose petals but it was like an extra 75-100 bucks so I skipped it...Then here we were sitting around rose petals. I was so grateful and happy and Priscilla was feeling the same way. For the first time on the entire trip we were left literally speechless and we felt so amazingly special. As cliché as it was, Disney made a magical ending to what was already a magical weekend!! This entire day was a surprise to me and Priscilla. Hell I was happy with just day 2.
P5020389_0.jpg
P5020394_0.jpg
P5020396_0.jpg
P5020398_0.jpg

Day Four (The End)
We spent the rest of the day Thanking everyone that was apart of our weekend. I even followed up with an email to my mothers contact making sure that everyone got recognized for what was truly a magical weekend. We then headed to Downtown Disney and had the glass slipper engraved with “Happily Ever After” on one side and “Priscilla and Jason" with the date on the other side. Then we headed home.
The end! Thanks for reading!!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awesome story! Congrats to you both, I'm glad you both had such an unforgettable experience!

dawnabee

Shiny_Rock
Really is the greatest story!!! Congrats to you both!

It was so wonderful and elaborate... I would have been surprised 10x over.

wedge

Rough_Rock
This puts regular Disney proposals to shame! Nice job planning, and it's cool that you two had so much insider hook-up help!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing story, congrats to both of you the ring is just beautiful!!!

RedRobbin

Shiny_Rock
Your fiancé is beautiful! The ring is spectacular! Your story is awesome! Congrats!!! I LOVED this story! Best wishes to you both!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
WoW :love: :appl: i am suitably impressed! Your GF is one lucky lady, and good-on Disney for helping you make such a special engagement experience :appl:

Congrats to both of you :wavey: and beautiful ring too BTW :love:

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
What an AMAZING ENGAGEMENT STORY!!!! I guess Disney truly is the Happiest Place on Earth!!! LOL!!! Magical!!! Congratulations!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
As a huge Disney fan myself, I loved reading every word of your story. That is such a magical and memorable experience, all I can say is wow. Congrats to you both and enjoy this time together.

There are times when I want my BF to wait until we go down to Disney for christmas but then again I want it sooner than that.

nice ice

Shiny_Rock
the greatest, most magical, indeed :appl: very, very well done =) =) =)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Wow. What a story! Congratulations to you both, it sounds like you had the time of your lives!! :wavey:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!!! That is absolutely amazing! Congratulations!!! I hope your life together is filled with wonderful memories like this
one! What a great story! Thanks for sharing it with all of us and your beautiful pictures!

Venice

Brilliant_Rock
I really enjoyed reading your Disney engagement story! It is a story you will never forget. My husband and I spent our 23rd wedding anniversary at Disney World this past February. We had our "Sweetheart Dinner" at The Hollywood Brown Derby, and it was just as romantic!

The pictures you shared are beautiful, as is your fiancé! Congratulations to both of you and Best Wishes for a "Magical" engagement!

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
Wow what an awesome. I just love it! Isn't Disney service the best?! Congrats to you and your bride to be!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
what a truly beautiful engagement story! kudos to you, your mom & her contact and all the Disney employees. i never thought of getting engaged at Disney, but now i want to after reading this!

you did an amazing job on the ring too btw and many congratulations to you both! :appl:

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
what an incredible story!!! you did a terrific job :bigsmile:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, your engagement "journey" brought tears to my eyes! What a lucky fiancee you have and how awesome Disney was for making your engagement even more special than the wonderful trip you'd planned. Congratulations!

Diamond_Newb

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to say a big Thank You for all the wonderful words. Honestly i thought i would be lucky if 1 or 2 people got through the whole thing...my attention span tends to be like that sometimes online.
I also sent this link to my fiancé and she loved everyones responses.

Venice -
Congrats on the 23 year anniversary!! The sweetheart dinner is a very cool experience. We weren't expecting the personalized menus and it put a smile on our faces!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing...thats all I can say! Congratulations!!!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
What a sweet story, and the ring is beautiful! Congratulations.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
What an awesome proposal! I'm sure you will be telling this story to your grandkids. Congrats! Beautiful ring and girl. :D

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
That proposal makes my DH look like a total dud ;-) Seriously, though, congrats - and that's a gorgeous ring!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
What an amazing story! You had me all teary at the end. :)) Congratulations on your super engagement story and may it be the start of great things to come for the both of you.

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
omg. That's so romantic. I'm glad you guys had a wonderful trip. The story makes me tear up. My bf asked me to stop reading proposal stories online. I'm going to tell him about your story. :lol: He has a BIG shoe to fill! :naughty: :love:

betty6333

Shiny_Rock
So Sweet!!

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
That is one fantastic story! Congratulations! You did an amazing job and the ring is beautiful.

Supers

Shiny_Rock
How fantastic!
Congratulations to you both.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! You must be on Cloud 9! Beautiful ring!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I would just like to tell you, that even though I do not know you at all, I loved reading EVERY single word of this. It was absolutely awesome and I'm sincerely so happy that you and your fiance had such a phenomenal experience that you will remember for the rest of your lives. Congratulations to you both, the ring is beautiful and may you both live very long happy lives together that are filled with wonderful memories just like this. Your proposal was absolutely amazing.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!!! What a beautiful ring and an awesome story. Disney magic at its best (I'm a Disney fantatic too)! I wish you both all the happiness in the world :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results