shape
carat
color
clarity

The great metal debate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dfb

Rough_Rock
I am looking to have a custom wedding band built - on the outside it will look like any other domed comfort fit 5mm width band - the custom work will be on the iniside of the band - but I am struggling with which metal to use for the base band - under consideration is platinum (90/10 mix alloyed with Iridium), 19Kt White Gold (canadian mix that apparently does not require plating to stay white), and Palladium - the cheapest of the bunch - the price range for the base band is a bit over $1000 from the lowest (Palladium) to the highest (Plat) with the 19Kt WG in the middle - given that the ring has all high polish smooth finish - what would you go with?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go with the 90/10 platinum. I''m curious as to what kind of custom work is being done to the inside of the band. Be sure you leave room in case it needs to be resized later.

dfb

Rough_Rock
DS - I am leaning the same way you suggested - but I only know of one custom maker that uses that blend - Mark Morrell - and I have sent him a message about the project - and got a response that he may be interested in picking it up - but if he decides not to then I am not sure where else I could find someone that works with that specific blend - that and I am not sure our budget can support working with someone of his level - we blew the budget a bit on my wife''s upgrade - but that is where I really wanted to spend the money... we''ll have to wait and see if he wants to take on the project

As for the custom work I am looking at - and I agree with you that I do not want to create a resizing issue that can not be overcome - I am looking to inset/burnish in I guess is the proper term - 3 small stones - probably 2mm in diameter - the 3 stones will represent the birthstones of my wife and 2 young children - plan to have them set at 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00 o''clock in relation to one another - and then some engraving - I picked the idea up from a PS member here that had a single stone inset in her fiance''s ring - and I thought it was a great idea to personalize the ring in a private way

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results