shape
carat
color
clarity

The Final Reveal: My Steven Kirsch Pave Masterpiece

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
With the holiday just behind us and me wrapping up a really busy work month, I am finally getting off my butt to post some photos of my OEC after a prolonged wait. You would have first heard about this diamond in my Big Risk Big Reward thread. In that thread, I shared my journey around my risky eBay purchase, re-cut and a hands-off surprise setting. In this thread, I am happy to be able to finally share with you the results of my re-cut and my new setting – a transformation of something old to something new. I did indeed continue with the path of taking big risks with this diamond and setting but luckily I was also rewarded for it.

History: Big Risk Big Reward – Page 2
Photos: Big Risk Big Reward – Pages 1, 4, 5 (hand pic)
Video Clip: http://vimeo.com/60987407 (password is diamond)

The Re-Cut
I know many of you have told me not to do this! Why take a beautiful antique diamond and re-cut it to fix a few dings that survived the years? Well, I am of a different mindset in that the diamond had a very thin girdle and I didn't want a halo or bezel setting as my e-ring. I wanted to restore the diamond to its former glory while I can feel safe wearing it. I wanted someone who appreciated a real old cut and who wouldn't want to make it something it is not. It was a natural choice for me to ask Adam at Old World Diamonds and I thank him for the fantastic job he did.

I recall the day that this came back from the cutter and Adam telling me it was a fireball and simply gorgeous when he opened up the diamond papers. Well, when I saw it that was surely the case where my diamond looked “new” again with rounded edges and no more chips. Of course, I had to send the diamond to GIA and was real excited when it came back as an Old European Cut - H VVS2.

The Setting
The setting that came with the diamond was simply fantastic in my eyes and I love it dearly. However, the setting is too big for my finger and too elaborate for me as an e-ring setting. I was at a bit of a loss on what to make as I wanted something modern and sexy with a throw back to the diamond's classic and antique roots. I selected Steven Kirsch for this project who suggested to leave it to him and he will make me a masterpiece. Steven knows me well and I have a number of successful projects with him so I dove in and left it in his trusty hands! I am now the proud owner of a beautiful piece of art with amazing pave, milgrain, metal work and prongs (who can forget that!).

The Reveal
I know many of you will prefer the original setting but this new setting is really one that illustrates the possibilities of what could be done. Steven truly loves this piece and really enjoyed making it and taking it to the next level. The ring is incredibly comfortable – yet very substantial and delicate all at the same time. I love the curvatures of the ring and the pave work is amazing. I call it a grown-up version of my Leon Mege split shank e-ring (which I still adore and will be keeping). To top it up, I can still wear my wedding band with it.

Now, finally for those that actually read the above – here are the pictures (and I think I took too many)!

pattern_0.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Pearls
Since I moved, I had to improvise with new props and lighting. I have my pearls first but a different set of pearls.

cwsk-pearl-1.jpg

cwsk-pearl-2.jpg

cwsk-pearl-3.jpg

cwsk-pearl-4.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Fake Plant

cwsk-grass-2_0.jpg

cwsk-grass-3_0.jpg

cwsk-cactas-1_0.jpg

cwsk-cactas-2.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Fake Orchids

cwsk-orchid-1.jpg

cwsk-orchid2-3.jpg

cwsk-orchid2-4.jpg

cwsk-orchid2-1.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Misc. Pics

cwsk-globe-2.jpg

cwsk-globe-1.jpg

cwsk-pear-3.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Hand Pics

Who can forget about the hand pics? I can’t hold up the digital SLR with one hand so these were taken on my cell phone – pardon the quality.

cwsk-handshot-1_0.jpg

cwsk-handshot-4.jpg

cwsk-handshot-2_0.jpg

cwsk-handshot-3.jpg

A bit funny colored but you can see how the ring sits on the finger.

cwsk-handshot-5.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This is the e-ring with my w-band.
cwsk-handshot-6.jpg

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
It's is simply perfect. Gorgeous stone and setting! :love: Well done! I've never hit 'refresh' so many times. :lol:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of my favorite diamonds on PS. What can I say but -- :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I think you already know, I seriously LOVE this setting! :love: :love: :love: Perfect diamond (and YES to the rehab!!!!) and perfect setting!!! What could be better???!!!! :appl:

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
Wow. Just beautiful

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
As much as I loved your antique setting, this setting really showcases your stone....so beautiful!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! I already loved the blurry pics in your old thread, but now we can really admire the true beauty of the ring. It's stunning :love: with al the tiny details. I love the tapered shank with 3 pave bars and the gallery is just perfect. I love how it sits on your finger and it showcases the beautiful recut stone!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Magnificent. Truly awesome. :love: :love: :love: :love:

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I love that so much! I also love the previous setting but agree that it might have been a bit much for everyday wear. Steven Kirsch did a wonderful job :appl: It looks perfect on your hand and there is no such thing as too many pictures. :love: :love: :love:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh this is so gorgeous! :love: The OEC is beautiful and looks so regal in that setting! Congratulations on such a wonderful creation!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Incredible! :love: :love:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truly amazing! :love: It looks like it was always meant to be in that setting! :appl:

BTW, can you do a side by side shot along with your AVR for comparison? Thx!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning and fabulous photography!!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is breathtaking and the story of how it evolved is incredible! So glad that you shared the whole journey with us! :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolute perfection... and looks so graceful and gorgeous on your finger!

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
It's absolutely lovely. I love everything about this ring.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Perfect in every way! I'm so glad you chose to share this beauty with us as well as the journey of how you got here. :love:

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just gorgeous! I love a good story and this ring certainly has one!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Even though I know the story well, I really enjoyed reading how it all unfolded. The diamond is one-of-a-kind and Steven made a setting perfect for it! :love: He really nailed the modern/antique combo perfectly.

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock
I always thought your Leon Mege e-ring was perfection, but this one is even better. Steven Kirsch did an amazing job with the balance of making it both intricate and delicate, and showing off the stone perfectly.

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is utterly amazing. So special, how it retains its "self" but is still so much yours!

onyx8

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous!

himni

Shiny_Rock
Charmy, you have outdone yourself! this ring is a masterpiece. Love the art -deco, yet minimalist feel that the setting has. The diamond is EVERYTHING. Adam and SK both did amazing work. In my Rachel Zoe voice ***I die*** lol. Please post more pictures of the setting :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results