shape
carat
color
clarity

The Economics of Pricescope (or....why I am stupid and poor.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
So, we all banter this fact about...that being a habitual PS visitor is very good for the american economy because it makes us upgrade, regrade, dream, obsess, impulse purchase etc. IT IS TRUE. I figured I''d put myself out there as a good real life example. Keep in mind that I haven''t even been here a year.

I came here to research my wedding set I was getting for my tenth anniversary. I bought it before my first actual post, so I''m not going to count it.

But look at all of those lovely eternity bands out there! Why, I think the sparkles and bling are growing on old simple me. Maybe I''ll take my fun money savings acct and pre-spend my mother''s day and anniversary "credit" and get me one of those. $1200.

Studs? Nah, don''t wear earrings. Not for years. I don''t even really like them. Well...they ARE pretty I guess...and they don''t HAVE to be big...hmm. Oooh look at those little itty bitty bezel set ones someone here on PS got at tiffany! Ohh I like those! I''ll go obsessively research some just like them. Ooops...there goes $400.

Oh look! The gals are all telling their favorite nail polishes! Ooooh....they have found exactly what I''m looking for and love. Found them online...a deal! Ha. $40.

Wow....who would pay $150 for denim blue jeans when you can get them at the gap for $40? Silly women on Pricescope. Wait...they actually LIFT the butt? And make the legs look HOW much longer? Ooops...shouldn''t have read that thread. $158.

I have a purse. A PURSE. One purse. I don''t think about my purse. But wait, Kristydarling''s new balenciaga bag is really nice. Wow! That''s a bit rich for my blood. But wait...there are a LOT of lovely handbags out there! Did you FEEL that leather? Ooops...I''m choking as I write this...$480.

You see, I am not a follower, or a peer pressure freak, or a massive consumer. But I am a lady who has been under the spell of being at home with little kids for the last eight years, with no time energy or inclination to spend time shopping. A woman who was satisfied with cheap and comfortable fashion that often came straight from LL Bean with free shipping because of my LL Bean card. And here you all are, with helpful tips and lovely glimpses into fresh fashion and culture! O Brave New World.

And the price I have paid for being here?

$2283!!!!

I know that is low compared to you who have been wooed into a large upgrade when your original stone was *just fine*, but that is exactly $2283 I would never have spent if I had a different hobby.

6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wallermama, oh man I feel for ya on that one! When I first joined pricescope I joined because I was a thrifty gal who wanted to do her homework and get a good deal on a ring. At first I didn't even want a center diamond!! I just wanted a fancy wedding band with stones in it.

Then...flash forward a couple of months and I definitely wanted a center stone, a 1/2 carat stone. A couple more months after I stopped lurking and started posting and really looking at rings and trying them on in stores I thought how nice a 3/4 carat stone would look.

So...although I totally love my e-ring, now I'm researching the eventual upgrade. Luckily, my finances are definitely in check and I haven't gone too crazy. However, pricescope has definitely influenced me.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh geez, I'm so guilty. I came here looking for an eternity band similar to the one Jessica Simpson wore, found SP made a trip there and bought one. Then I found out about the asscher cut on here, was in love and bought one, for my RHR, then it was my halo pendant, then new studs. I have also bought smaller studs which I have given to my daughter. But here's the thing, I have bought as an informed consumer and have actually saved a boat load since being on PS!!
36.gif
So you can look at it that way, how much has PS saved you price wise?? My local B&M's can't hold a candle to the quality of stones I can find from PS vendors. That says a lot.
2.gif

ETA: everything I have bought has been paid for in cash, no debt involved....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol
sounds familiar!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2006 11:42:53 PM
Author:wallermama

$2283!!!!

I know that is low compared to you who have been wooed into a large upgrade when your original stone was *just fine*, but that is exactly $2283 I would never have spent if I had a different hobby.

6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
bahahaha - oops I mean hmmm.... yeah I came here thinking I''d spend like 2-3k on a 2/3-3/4 carat oval... then my budget slowly started creeping up... 4k... 5k... oh 7 or 8k... then boom I decided one day 15k and now I''m starting to think... well maybe just the diamond is 15k... and when I do searches I do them up to 20k. I''ve been suffering that DSS and don''t even have a diamond yet!!!! lol

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wallerama, I agree with Kaleigh that you likely saved a bit in the long run by being informed. And, be glad it is not coins, stamps or fine art, or even wine...could be even more pricey!!! But hey, I am sure you deserve it all and more, and have had some entertainment in the process, so it cannot all be bad!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wallermama -- you know, I was thinking this very same thing the other day! If it weren''t for PS, I *never* would''ve known that for "just" 8K more, I could get a diamond that was a whole 1.5 carats larger than the one I was planning to get! In fact, I had no idea that a 3.5 carat stone was even within the realm of possiblity in my lifetime. (after I learned all about cut I felt free to drop in color and clarity and the next thing I know....BOOM! I have an HSI1....that is rather large, hehe.)

If it weren''t for PS, I wouldn''t have dropped $160 on AG Goldschmied jeans, nor $70 on Charlotte pants (thanks to Miss Mara for turning me onto both!). I was THIS close to begging DH to drop $2K or thereabouts on a Hello Kitty necklace. And as of now I have resisted the urge to buy a Bond fragrance (mmmm. Hamptons!). I blame my bag obssession on another forum focused on handbags, so PS gets off easy on that one. But I justify that shameful habit by reminding everyone who will listen that my 2 Balenciaga bags are both third-hand eBay acquisitions!
9.gif

Ellen, I''m glad you''re starting to explore the little luxuries in life -- after 8 years at home with the kids, hell you DESERVE all this and A LOT more!!!! Doesn''t it make your everyday life just THAT much more fun? It''s good to be a little bad. In fact, it''s a necessity! You have to live your life for YOU too. (moms forget that all too often)
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol Ellen...I hear ya! I know I am one of the worst enablers around here...but I have been caught too!! My SI cleaner...my LV bag that Matata had first and as soon as I saw her pictures, knew I had to have, nail polishes, new jeans or the latest shoes or the Juicy sale or the Overstock sheets or whatever. It totally adds up. The funny thing about PS is that while gals here love to talk about diamonds, most of them love to talk about other things that fascinate me, like fashion or home decor or working out. I got great advice on paint colors for our guest bedroom, or what to put behind our new entertainment unit. Like interests I guess! Maybe that's why we all clicked so well at the GTG...hee hee. Buncha crazeees!!!
31.gif

Oh and I SOOOO want your new bag. I'm thinking about the 'how'. hehee.
5.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is exactly $2283 I would never have spent if I had a different hobby.
I dunno about that ... did you see the Oprah with the "debt-ridden" family where the Mom was addicted to CRAFTING and had drawers and closets and a garage full of felt & google eyes and fuzzy wire thingies![/b]

And GOLF, TENNIS, SAILING ... those type of hobbies *really* add up with the equipment and memberships and lessons and trips etc ..

Not to mention the vortex that is ONLINE GAMBLING.
3.gif

But seriously, I really adore every single one of your big purchases. Very Classic Basics. Not the kind of things you''ll bonk yourself on the head five years from now and say WHAT AM I DOING WITH A CLOSET FULL OF BEANIE BABIES???

And - geez - eight years of few splurges .... girl, it was BUILDING UP!
2.gif

p.s. -- if you don''t fall in love with the bag, return it ... no biggie! I have slight regrets about one expensive bag (cloth sided Gucci - gets covered in hair, falls off my shoulder) but I am still 100% in love with another (yum leather Hogan) - five years later. It was a *steal* for what it is ... but I''ll agree that $400+ for a bag is def a *splurge* ... yet, as you mentioned in another thread ... over the years - much less than a string of vinyl Liz Claiborne Marshalls finds!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is soooo true! I came here with about a 1.3 ct. diamond in mind and I am ending up with a 1.63...$4000 over the original imaginary budget! Now I am unhappy with my studs, so add another $5000+ to get ideal cut stones for those.

Yes, I am guilty of writing down the nail polish colors but just haven''t bought them yet...but I will. Those at least are only 5 bucks, so I don''t have to feel bad about those!

I''m really not into the expensive handbags. I always thought my Aigner bags were plenty nice at $100 with 20% off. So I hope I don''t get into those very pricey ones! I''ll have to stay away from those threads! $150 blue jeans??? Never even seen them!

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 1:54:53 AM
Author: KristyDarling
Wallermama -- you know, I was thinking this very same thing the other day! If it weren''t for PS, I *never* would''ve known that for ''just'' 8K more, I could get a diamond that was a whole 1.5 carats larger than the one I was planning to get! In fact, I had no idea that a 3.5 carat stone was even within the realm of possiblity in my lifetime. (after I learned all about cut I felt free to drop in color and clarity and the next thing I know....BOOM! I have an HSI1....that is rather large, hehe.)

If it weren''t for PS, I wouldn''t have dropped $160 on AG Goldschmied jeans, nor $70 on Charlotte pants (thanks to Miss Mara for turning me onto both!). I was THIS close to begging DH to drop $2K or thereabouts on a Hello Kitty necklace. And as of now I have resisted the urge to buy a Bond fragrance (mmmm. Hamptons!). I blame my bag obssession on another forum focused on handbags, so PS gets off easy on that one. But I justify that shameful habit by reminding everyone who will listen that my 2 Balenciaga bags are both third-hand eBay acquisitions!
9.gif

Ellen, I''m glad you''re starting to explore the little luxuries in life -- after 8 years at home with the kids, hell you DESERVE all this and A LOT more!!!! Doesn''t it make your everyday life just THAT much more fun? It''s good to be a little bad. In fact, it''s a necessity! You have to live your life for YOU too. (moms forget that all too often)
1.gif
asks in small squeaky voice.....what is the handbag site?
11.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in. I think if it weren''t for PS, I wouldn''t have even had the confidence to WALK IN to those high end places I used to be scared of.

I know in a few years when we have finished with our house decor and DH gets a new car, I will probably upgrade to one of those beauties.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
This is a great thread WM.
all too true $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

oh well; What I DO cherish the most are the wonderful
friendships I have made because of PS!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 9:35:59 AM
Author: Allisonfaye
Count me in. I think if it weren''t for PS, I wouldn''t have even had the confidence to WALK IN to those high end places I used to be scared of.

I know in a few years when we have finished with our house decor and DH gets a new car, I will probably upgrade to one of those beauties.
It''s funny that you say that because thats probably the biggest difference for me. I''m cheap...and in the process of trying to buy a house ect ect...so I just DON''T READ any thread in the diamond hangout that might possibly cause me to go buy something. *shuts eyes* Will NOT check the pants thread....will not
1.gif
BUUUUT I used to never have the confidence to go into high end stores when just walking around. Well I would but i''d usually do the qucik browse...so fast no one even gets a chance to greet me....*ninjadiamonddrool* I mean when I go to the mall with my DH on the weekend i''m usually not that dressed up. Were talking jeans and a some sort of girl t shirt. Their lucky if I bothered to put on cute shoes! Summertime = never taking the flip flops off. However I go in there and i''ll even chat with the sales people now. I''ve found that a lot of high end places like talking with someone who knows their stuff. BTW...I have tried this in like some of the lower end mall chains and they just look at me like i''m nuts :) But I do entertain certain thoughts I would of never entertained if I wasn''t on PS. For instance...the dream ring game. C''mon I know you guys do this too. Go to James Allen or Whiteflash site and JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY....create that "dream ring" of yours? Believe it or not mine only came to about 13k. Pretty cheap for a dream ring huh?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2006 9:31:07 AM
Author: Mokey

11.gif
[/DIV]

Am I allowed to say which handbag site it is? I'd love to tell ya but don't want to get in trouble either if it's against forum rules. Anyone know?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

$2283!!!!

6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
Consider yourself lucky. I spent $5000 in a short period of time because I was unduly influenced by a rash of diamond stud earring postings and handbag postings and the handbag postings so warped my common sense that I bought an emerald pendant and I still don''t remember even going into the jewelry store. When I regained consciousness, I was sitting in my car holding the thing in my hand.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2006 7:50:17 AM
Author: decodelighted

WHAT AM I DOING WITH A CLOSET FULL OF BEANIE BABIES???
HI:

mmmmmmmmmm beanie babies need new handbags and shoes.......bags and shoes........
19.gif

cheers--Sharon

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 7:50:17 AM
Author: decodelighted

That is exactly $2283 I would never have spent if I had a different hobby.
Not to mention the vortex that is ONLINE GAMBLING.
3.gif
Haha... although..... a kid I used to babysit for (now a freshman in college) is currently making hundreds of thousands of dollars in online gambling. His sister grudgingly admitted that he is currently making more than their father (a highly successful attorney). I mean, you''ve got to be kidding me!!! My hobbies definitely don''t GENERATE income, even the ones like reality-TV-watching which are, at the very least, free.
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have more Beanie Babies than I can count. UGHHHHH.
29.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well at least my hobby (selling real estate) allows me to feed all the irresistable impulses I get to buy things here... otherwise I'd be in REAL trouble.

(Can you say DJ now wants a wide less-blingy $2+K band with small diamonds to wear when her newly upgraded 3.37--perhaps soon to be haloed--diamond is too much? Or how 'bout my recent evil thoughts about upgrading my 2.2 tcw studs to something not necessarily bigger--although would that be *so* bad to go just a *smidge* larger?--for better cut stones? Not to mention the gem show is tomorrow and I'll be there, American Express card in hand... )

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 10:34:36 AM

Date: 8/25/2006 9:31:07 AM
Author: Mokey

11.gif
[/DIV]

Am I allowed to say which handbag site it is? I''d love to tell ya but don''t want to get in trouble either if it''s against forum rules. Anyone know?
I think you can, but am not sure.....I neeeeeeds to know! But not at the cost of getting in trouble
31.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mokey -- I reviewed PS'' Terms of Use and I *think* I can mention the name of the web site. (but I won''t provide the URL just in case that''s taboo) It''s called The PurseForum and if you do a Google search for it, it should pop up. I love that place....it''s my second home, after PS of course!
9.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhhh. See, confession CAN make you feel better! I knew I was not alone.

You are right that I have saved money. Yes, I have saved money buying things that I would never have even known to want had it not been for PS.
2.gif
Until PS, the only splurges (and there WERE splurges) always seemed to be kitchen related....but that is a splurgy habit I share with my husband.

But thank god, I am not hiding my googlie-eye and pipe cleaner craft habit from my husband, Deco! That's more my mom's style...

It isn't against forum rules to post site of handbags--there was trouble because coupon codes were posted, which is against anti-spam PS rules. You can watch my totally enabled (thanks to you guys!) handbag descent here \"Hangbag\" Thread

I think I am going to try to be better, though. I hate the fact that I'm embarrassed to tell my husband about the handbag. We aren't usually like that
7.gif

ETA: Oh, I see you meant which forum, not which purse thread...sorry!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
LOL... What a fantastic post! I love it!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 11:03:37 AM
Author: Matata

I was unduly influenced by a rash of diamond stud earring postings and handbag postings and the handbag postings so warped my common sense that I bought an emerald pendant and I still don''t remember even going into the jewelry store. When I regained consciousness, I was sitting in my car holding the thing in my hand.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 11:40:35 AM
Mokey -- I reviewed PS'' Terms of Use and I *think* I can mention the name of the web site. (but I won''t provide the URL just in case that''s taboo) It''s called The PurseForum and if you do a Google search for it, it should pop up. I love that place....it''s my second home, after PS of course!
9.gif
You are awesome....heading to google! Thanks so much, even more obsession!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
SO true! i''m guilty!

charlotte pants & shorts
US cleaner
diamond in FI band
le creuset pots
wusthof knives
soon to be camera (to take macros of diamonds)
pearl earrings

i''m sure there''s others!

but i have to say.. i saved A HECK OF A LOT & got one killer sparkly diamond!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 11:48:19 AM
Author: aljdewey

I was unduly influenced by a rash of diamond stud earring postings and handbag postings and the handbag postings so warped my common sense that I bought an emerald pendant and I still don''t remember even going into the jewelry store. When I regained consciousness, I was sitting in my car holding the thing in my hand.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is, indeed, the best and most funny example of this illness that I could ever imagine. I DIED laughing when I read this!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 12:12:56 PM
Author: wallermama
Date: 8/25/2006 11:48:19 AM
Author: aljdewey
consciousness, I was sitting in my car holding the thing in my hand.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is, indeed, the best and most funny example of this illness that I could ever imagine. I DIED laughing when I read this!
I wet myself ... Matata you''re elusive, but when you do show up -
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Ummmm. I totally thought I was immune ... just fondling my perfectly NECESSARY e-ring, when I''m not ransacking the house for my ALSO NECESSARY w-band or making my little dream lists & fantasizing about OTHER PEOPLE''s purchases. Until I remembered THE CAR I BOUGHT. A Toyota as recommended by many ... and USED, just like ALJ told me to.
17.gif
23.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha i read greg this thread last nite before bed...well just ellen''s original post...
3.gif

he''s wasn''t really so amused. i probably just confirmed every negative thought he''d ever had about ''why does my wife spend so much time on that forum?''

MEN!
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results