shape
carat
color
clarity

The Dreaded Moissanite Oil Slick

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a Moissanite OEC about 6 years ago. I think I bought it from Moissanite Co. I became aware of the dreaded oil slick after a couple of weeks of wearing it.

I ended up selling it as I couldn’t get the slick off no matter how hard I tried.

Does anyone know if the newer Moissanite stones have this? I’m interested in buying from Jonathon at August Vintage but if the slick is still likely to happen I don’t want to buy one. It would drive me mad! o_O

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had a Moissanite OEC about 6 years ago. I think I bought it from Moissanite Co. I became aware of the dreaded oil slick after a couple of weeks of wearing it.

I ended up selling it as I couldn’t get the slick off no matter how hard I tried.

Does anyone know if the newer Moissanite stones have this? I’m interested in buying from Jonathon at August Vintage but if the slick is still likely to happen I don’t want to buy one. It would drive me mad! o_O
I have heard of the oil slick, but what is it and what causes it? I’m helping a friend with her engagement ring shopping and she has her heart set on moissanite.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
442B8A9A-4E43-46A2-9551-F6617614BDAE.jpeg I don’t know what causes it. People have said it could be caused by water hardness, hair spray, hand lotion/soap etc. Not everyone gets it though. It’s incredibly difficult to remove once you get it.

Charles & Colvard recommend a specific cleaning cloth. You have to rub hard to remove the stain. Even if it comes off there is no guarantee it won’t come back.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve read Bar Keepers Friend will take it off like magic!

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
i've consistently heard that this was a problem with older moissanite and shouldn't be a problem with forever one and other newer ones. i have a forever one moissanite and two from a now defunct vendor called unique moissanite (that sold lower colored, antique style moisses, beautiful!) and neither display this stain.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good to know there is something that works @michellelynn9175

Also glad to hear that your Moissanites aren’t displaying the slick @crystalinmke It gives me hope!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to know this too. The only reason moissy makes me nervous is because of the oil stain. Our water where we are stationed stains things red even with a filter so I'm terrified if I got moissy, even a new one, that it would show right up.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Mine gets the stain around the prongs and I’ve only had it since the summer. I only see it in certain lighting. I think it’s more to do with environmental factors (water, soaps, etc) than the material, but I don’t know. I give it a scrub with Wright’s silver polish weekly and it comes off, but it’s definitely annoying.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of mine have had it and I've had them for years.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My oec (from 3-4 years ago, an FB) got it all the time, and it's one of the reasons I decided to replace it. It drove me crazy! I found that silver polish and sunshine gem cloths worked, but it always came back. I've been warchng for it on my stones from tianyu and don't see it so far, which is good. but I had the exact same concern about buying from AV and ending up with the same issue! I think it's not really happening to newer ones, thank goodness!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've had the oil slick appear on both the old 6H poly-type moissy and the new 4H type (such as my Forever One oval). It appears on some but not on others of both types. I've found Wright's silver polish takes it off beautifully, but it does reappear, so the silver polish becomes a regular occasional treatment - it doesn't take me but a couple minutes more than regular cleaning of my diamond rings, though. The only problem, though, is the silver polish will also take the rhodium off the prongs, so if your prongs are going to be white metal in a setting for a moissy, it's wise to do platinum or an alloy that doesn't need rhodium plating.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I will give Moissanite a miss. I I know the oil slick would happen to me. Such a shame. I really love the idea of an August Vintage too.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My AVC from @Rhino hasn’t developed an oil slick yet. I even wore it for a full week of fun and sun with no problems. That’s right, it endured through showers, sunscreen, swimming, and copious amounts of fried foods (hey, I’m a messy eater). :shifty:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My AVC from @Rhino hasn’t developed an oil slick yet. I even wore it for a full week of fun and sun with no problems. That’s right, it endured through showers, sunscreen, swimming, and copious amounts of fried foods (hey, I’m a messy eater). :shifty:
That's great!!!!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had that staining on two crown facets. I used an electric toothbrush with a little toothpaste (gasp) and let it scrub for like a minute. (Note the setting is Stuller's X1 white gold that doesn't need rhodium plating.) It has not reappeared.

Taurus2313

Brilliant_Rock
I have quite a few Moissanite rings for years now and I have never had the dreaded oil slick that I have read about many times. Then again I always take my rings off before washing dishes and NEVER, EVER put lotion on my hands with my rings on. I think that it could have something to do with the things that go along with what us women do on a regular basis like Makeup, lotions, perfume, hair spray, shampoo, conditioner, etc. things like that which could very well contribute to an oil slick happening or even buildup. I have Forever Classic and Forever One Moissanite and even non branded Moissanite and none of them have experience an oil slick. I am very careful with my rings and take them off when it comes to anything that might get on them whether it be Diamonds, Gemstones or Moissanite..;)2

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It must be something that only happens to certain people. It seems that it’s quite easy to remove if you clean hard enough. I suppose I could always sell any Moissanite that I decide to buy if it drove me nuts. There seems to be a thriving market for used quality Moissanite.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results