shape
carat
color
clarity

The dreaded "Bay Window" has stuck again!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I found a couple gemstones the other day in a box I had in storage for a good long while.
It hadn't been opened in 4+ years, and I didn't even know what was stored inside, when I opened it. I found a couple pink spinels, which I did remember once I saw them, and some other stones I didn't even remember having at all..LOL.
This smoky quartz gemstone was sitting in the corner waiting for me to pick it up and show it some attention.....well.....as I happily grabbed it up in my grubby hands, I about fainted!
I was staring at...no..wait....not staring, it was more like intensely gazing into the stones depths before I knew what had happened!!:errrr:
Suddenly, looking right back up at me, was..... this.....this..:blackeye:. massive void of ....nothingness!
I was looking straight down into it's crown, fully expecting the pavilion facets to bounce back to me the light I was expecting and accustomed to. I got caught off guard and had to catch myself quickly and get poised.
It made me dizzy just looking at the huge gaping hole that ran through the middle of the stone.
I had a spell of vertigo as I stared into its pavilion of nothingness, all the while wondering if I would be able to break my gaze away from it's endless hole of nothingness.
The rumor is, that some look into it's depths and never come out the same person as they were before.
There, sitting as plain as day, was an actual "bay window" in my midst.
They hadn't been seen in a long time, around here, especially by me, and I was even told the biggest of the Bay Windows, similar to this one but even bigger, had died off or moved to greener pastures.:naughty:
I haven't been around that kind stuff for many years now.
The last "bay window" I had to deal with was here on Pricescope, I believe.
I was okay back then, because it wasn't a stone I had in my possession, but a random picture we used or posted for reference purposes.
This time around, it was the real thing we were dealing with. :errrr::errrr::errrr::errrr:
It was in the same room as me and I panicked, which is the last thing they say you should do when confronted head on. Do I turn and run??......do I maybe play dead, like someone said.......or was it... stand your ground and make yourself look as big and foreboding as possible, in the hopes it would turn it's face away and maybe show you it's cutlet as a sign it was submitting.
I was already shaken and disgusted by it's "brown frown" color, and I didn't want to have any sudden movements or make to much eye contact with the 'bay window" as they say it can be misconstrued as a sign of aggression in Bay Window stones and then they can become unpredictable and ornery.
I quickly flung it to the floor and stepped back slowly....one step...at...a..time, all the while wishing I had at least one precision cut stone with me, to help balance things out and keep me sane and of sound mind, in the presence of such lunacy and craziness, the bay window stone possesses.
Who cuts a stone that bad and allows it to live and mingle in the general populace as an equal???
Never again will I stare into the cold, lifeless eye of a Bay Window. I am lucky to be here, and to pass along what I have experienced, as well as, the trials and tribulations I had to go through, in the hopes someone will heed my warning, and not make the same mistakes I did and get caught up in a "bay window" situation, that may prove poorly for the sucker who looked

If you have young children in the room or someone with a pacemaker or heart problems, then it's best you make them leave, or turn around, before you venture a glance at the beast.:wall::knockout::shhh::nono::errrr::naughty:

P5199564.JPG

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hahahahhaha

*Drops Dead.*

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a nice Cindy Crawford beauty mark too!!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so good to be able to go back and laugh at our past mistakes.

One of mine was this huge aqua that was once my prized "bargain". And your story brings back the horror I felt when I had it set and could look straight through the stone and see the basket underneath. Not knowing it was an issue with the stone and not the setting, I had the jeweler cut out the basket lol. Fortunately the setting was from my jeweler's scrap jar so my loss wasn't as big as it could've been. It's been in hiding since I joined PS. It's good to know even the experts have them lurking in their boxes.

Thanks to you and others here for the education...wish I knew about this place earlier.

IMG_20170520_192016.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barrett- Your scary story made me cry "Mommy!" I am still shaking. I am glad you made it out okay. Shudders.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only stone where I accepted the bay window.

Slightly over 7 carats of violet cuprian tourmaline. But images never do the stone justice.

6549366311_1c2236f362_o.jpg

It likely can never be heated (I'm fine with that) and I won't ever send it for precision cutting (thats crazy talk!) Indications are that it would close slightly in the right setting, but I barely wear most of what I have so....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results