shape
carat
color
clarity

The Covid-19 Book thread edition

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, let's share some great books that will allow us a break from reality for a bit.
We know nothing beats an enjoyable book for getting out of our heads for a while.

calvinandhobbesreading.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll start with some oldies but oh so goodies.

Anything (and I do mean anything) by Jane Austen.

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many.

To Kill A Mockingbird

One Hundred Years of Solitude (I read this one in Spanish-amazing)

In Cold Blood

Crime and Punishment

Lolita

In Thin Air

The Grapes of Wrath

Little Women

East of Eden

The Diary of Anne Frank

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i can't concentrate enough to enjoy a book when under pressure
i still have Mrs Obama and Sen John McCain to finish

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i can't concentrate enough to enjoy a book when under pressure
i still have Mrs Obama and Sen John McCain to finish

I get what you mean...now that many of us have some extra time it is hard to concentrate and get lost in a good book or movie...I am having trouble concentrating and that is why I thought OK let's pool our resources and see if there are any books we can get lost in for a bit and get away from the everyday stress that is the new normal for now...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a big book worm. Here are some favs by category:

Nonfiction: The Information
Sci fi series: The Expanse
Sci fi stand alone: The Fall
Fantasy series: The Fifth Season
Fantasy stand alone: Sirens of Titan
Fiction: Elegance of the Hedgehog
Autobiography: Look Me in the Eye (written by a man who grew up with Aspergers before the diagnosis really existed)
Science nonfiction : Predictably Irrational

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the only one who kept writing in the regular book thread. I am not going to repeat myself here. I was slogging through every book I read and reporting on it there until it became clear that I was talking to myself!

I will just share that I finished Queen of the Big Time by Adriana Trigiani yesterday or the day beore and then started to read Dead in the Water, the third in the series of the Kate Shugak detective series, by Dana Stabenow.

The former is a charming novel about a girl growing up in an Italian-American community in the 1920's and how her life goes on. The latter is part of a current series I am devouring for pure pleasure.It is set in Alaska and is written by an Alaskan native.It is not too bloody, but it is not a cozy series. I don't usually read cozy mysteries, but I do have my limits on how brutal and harrowing the crimes I want to read about are. Sometimes my limits get pushed by one of the authors I like. :))

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heh I just ordered a new kindle so I can give my other one to my partner so we can read "together"

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Paris Wife

A Moveable Feast

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be attempting to get through The Nanny by Gillian MacMillan. I prefer mysteries. I think it's funny that this will be the third or fourth book about a nanny that I've read recently. What's up with nannies anyhow?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would post a link to our most current general Pricescope book thread. (We have had several over the years and at one time had a forum which, if I recall correctly, was called 'The Library' where books were discussed.) We also had a book club at one point. We all read the same book and then discussed it. I remember we started with The Moonstone, which is the first detective story ever written.

Maybe some other old timers can chime in and add to (and possibly correct) my recollections.

These threads and discussions always produced the titles of many wonderful books. Someone might want to use this for additional reading suggestions. :))

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@missy I love classics too! Out of your list East of Eden is a particular favorite. Right now I am reading To Have and Have Not. @Jimmianne I will have to check out A Moveable Feast.

I'd like to add Lonesome Dove as a wonderful escape from our current situation.

Have to go to bed now, but will try to report back on some more book recommendations tomorrow.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I love classics too! Out of your list East of Eden is a particular favorite. Right now I am reading To Have and Have Not. @Jimmianne I will have to check out A Moveable Feast.

I'd like to add Lonesome Dove as a wonderful escape from our current situation.

Have to go to bed now, but will try to report back on some more book recommendations tomorrow.

East of Eden is one of my favorite's too. I think I've read it more than 3 times lol.

Thanks for all the recommendations and looking forward to reading more and please keep them coming.

@AGBF I didn't meant to infringe upon the main Book Thread but I thought a fresh thread re the Covid outbreak might get new eyes on it and new recs vs just bumping up The Book Thread.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF I didn't meant to infringe upon the main Book Thread

You didn't. I simply wanted to make readers (who are the people who will gravitate to this thread) aware of its existence since it holds the titles as well as the plot descriptions and many discussions of books that may not be mentioned here. I was thinking of it as the sort of place one can go to find less than classic authors.

but I thought a fresh thread re the Covid outbreak might get new eyes on it and new recs vs just bumping up The Book Thread.

Your thread is very much appreciated, missy. I love book threads and get all my reading ideas here on Pricesope. I am very glad you started this thread. Thank you.

Hugs,
Deb :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(((Hugs))) @AGBF and thank you. ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are watching "The Handmaid's Tale" on Hulu and while I read the book that was decades ago so adding it to my to read list.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just re-read A Man Called Ove this past weekend (a personal favorite), and am about to start The Hunger Games trilogy (must be my 4th time reading this story) - a prequel (The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes) is coming out in May 2020 and I want to be ready for it :)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to get an new kindle because I accidentally kicked mine into the tub. It wasn't waterproof.
Just got my new one on Sunday and I can't wait to get back to reading! It is such a pain trying to set up a new kindle and getting all your books in the order you want them in!

I am currently reading The Traitors Wife by Allison Pataki

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I just re-read A Man Called Ove this past weekend (a personal favorite), and am about to start The Hunger Games trilogy (must be my 4th time reading this story) - a prequel (The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes) is coming out in May 2020 and I want to be ready for it :)

I would like to re-read a Man Called Ove as well. In general I love re-reading books. This week I have been re-reading my favorite book from childhood - Harriet the Spy. My goodness there is so much to take from this book as an adult. What a strong and unique character Louise Fitzhugh created! I highly recommend it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I read A Man Called Ove for the first time a couple of months ago. I can understand why it is a favorite of yours. I mentioned it to a good friend with whom I stay in touch through a monthly phone conversation. She had also read it and said she was glad that I liked that kind of book. I found it very life affirming. :))

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I’m a big book worm. Here are some favs by category:

Nonfiction: The Information
Sci fi series: The Expanse
Sci fi stand alone: The Fall
Fantasy series: The Fifth Season
Fantasy stand alone: Sirens of Titan
Fiction: Elegance of the Hedgehog
Autobiography: Look Me in the Eye (written by a man who grew up with Aspergers before the diagnosis really existed)
Science nonfiction : Predictably Irrational

Yes!! Finally someone else who enjoyed the Fifth Season. Loved the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms too. Excellent stuff.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
. This week I have been re-reading my favorite book from childhood - Harriet the Spy.

Well...if we are going to venture into this territory, I will heartily recommend all the books by Edward Eager, which I have read many times (and read to an English class I taught once, too). I would start with Half Magic. I found it so funny that when I was reading it aloud to a class I had a very hard time not bursting out laughing! And it (a well as all his other books) is so well written! The humor is very layered, so that adults and children can both find meaning in it.

If you enjoy this series, you may wind up also reading all of E. Nesbit who inspired Mr. Eager.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another book that I loved that was set in Scandinavia (in Norway) besides A Man Called Ove was Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller. I do not want to spoil it, but it is really unique.

Goodreads says, "Norwegian By Night is the first novel by American-born author, Derek B. Miller. When 82-year-old American widower, Sheldon Horowitz goes to live with his granddaughter, Rhea and her Norwegian husband, Lars, in Olso, the last thing he expects is to find himself on the run from the police with a small boy in tow."

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Another book that I loved that was set in Scandinavia (in Norway) besides A Man Called Ove was Norwegian by Night by Derek B. Miller. I do not want to spoil it, but it is really unique.

Goodreads says, "Norwegian By Night is the first novel by American-born author, Derek B. Miller. When 82-year-old American widower, Sheldon Horowitz goes to live with his granddaughter, Rhea and her Norwegian husband, Lars, in Olso, the last thing he expects is to find himself on the run from the police with a small boy in tow."

Adding this and your fave childhood books to my goodreads account...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finished Book Four in the Kate Shugak mystery series by Dana Stabenow and Book Five has not arrived yet. (I had to buy it from a solitary seller on Amazon.) Rather than go on with Book Six, which I have, I delved into my huge "books to read" stack. I am currently reading Civil to Strangers and Other Writings by Barbara Pym. She used to be one of my favorite authors when I was young and I am rediscovering her, reading some of her less famous novels, some of the ones published with the help of her friend Hazel Holt after her death.

At some point I may want to go back and read Jane and Prudence.I do not remember a bit of it, just that I loved it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Plague by Albert Camus

Do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

"A gripping tale of human unrelieved horror, of survival and resilience, and of the ways in which humankind confronts death, The Plague is at once a masterfully crafted novel, eloquently understated and epic in scope, and a parable of ageless moral resonance, profoundly relevant to our times."

We read a long time ago but I am going to search for it in our home library and reread (if I can find it).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had just been thinking of this thread when I logged on. I was actually going to ask how everyone was doing with his reading. You got here ahead of me, missy!

I am unsure whether I ever read "Th Plague". Is it a play or a novel? I suspect I never read it, because most if the Camus I read, I read in French. I remember L'étranger well because of that.

I am in no mood to read "The Plague"!

The Plague by Albert Camus

Do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

"A gripping tale of human unrelieved horror, of survival and resilience, and of the ways in which humankind confronts death, The Plague is at once a masterfully crafted novel, eloquently understated and epic in scope, and a parable of ageless moral resonance, profoundly relevant to our times."

We read a long time ago but I am going to search for it in our home library and reread (if I can find it).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had just been thinking of this thread when I logged on. I was actually going to ask how everyone was doing with his reading. You got here ahead of me, missy!

I am unsure whether I ever read "Th Plague". Is it a play or a novel? I suspect I never read it, because most if the Camus I read, I read in French. I remember L'étranger well because of that.

I am in no mood to read "The Plague"!

I laughed a little when I read this Deb (thank you for helping me laugh because these days I don't have much to smile about). I cannot blame you for not being in the mood to read this. It is an excellent novel and was published in 1947.

What are you currently reading Deb?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like Elizabeth Kostova's books. The Historian is very good, I like Swan Thieves and I liked Shadow Land too.

I like Diane Setterfield and Wendy Webb too. I like some gothic style fiction personally.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just finished reading Long Range by C.J Box, the latest book in his Joe Pickett series about a game warden in Wyoming. I have read all the books in the series and anxiously await the publication of each new one!

I was asked to join a "quarantine book club", which is a chain letter in which one sends the name of a favorite book to the first person at the top of the chain and then adds one's own name below and forwards the letter to 20 other people asking for their recommendations.

I received some recommendations for booksthis past week due to my participation in this "book club", so I thought I'd share the recommendations I received. I have read none of these books, but all come recommended. :))

First of all, the book I recommended was What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. Obviously I did read that one. In fact I have read all her books except her latest one and loved them all.

The books recommended to me were:

Handling Sin by Michael Malone
American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
Born Survivors by Wendy Holden
and
The Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman.

Happy reading!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results