shape
carat
color
clarity

The Concept of Forgiveness

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I've never really managed to forgive. It always sounded too much like letting the perpetrator off the hook.

However, lately I've been working on forgiving a couple of people from my past, and it really feels amazing!

I think that forgiveness is a difficult concept to pin down, because it sounds so much like letting someone get away with their misdeed (to me, anyway).

But at last, I think I've worked out what it means, to me:
a) It means accepting that sometimes in life, someone does something really sh*tty to you, and that this is life, and that's what sometimes happens. I never accepted that before, could not accept that someone had treated me a certain way. But when I look around, I can see plenty of friends that have experienced awful betrayals, as well.

b) It doesn't mean being friends with them again, or being in a relationship with them again (unless you want to).

c) It doesn't mean telling the person that you forgive them (unless you want to).

d) It means examining, truthfully, whether you played ANY role at all in inducing certain feelings in them that might have led them to behave the way they did, even if their behavior was still, by any standards, way out of line. Example: A friend cut me out of her life, 15 years of good memories down the drain, but I can see that I wasn't always there for her.

e) It means acknowledging that their betrayal was really out of line but just choosing to move on from that and not hold it against them any more.

Has anyone here ever forgiven a big betrayal? Truly forgiven? What does forgiveness mean to you?

It's interesting, it's only now, a few years later, that I am ready to try to forgive these people. It's taken a while, and I think it's a process - a longer process for some than others.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jambalaya it is a thought provoking topic and definitely challenging as until you are in a situation where you are faced with this I am not sure you can accurately predict how you will feel and behave.

If you don't mind I am adding this thread from last year to start your topic. You replied to this thread so perhaps you can see if you feel differently now or just the same.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-you-forgive.221501/

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Missy! I thought I might have written about it before, but couldn't quite remember.

I just want to say that I think you are one of the most insightful people on Pricescope, and one of the best communicators I've ever "met." I don't mean because you found the link (lol) but in general.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for putting pen to paper Jambalaya...I like your definition of forgiveness. I'm not very good at forgiving either but it takes something
major (if you were close to me) to really affect me (I blow off the small stuff). I feel like I dont really forgive, I just put up major walls and
hold people at a distance. I really should work on giving people second chances.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think of it as forgiving. My sister exhibited extremely bad behaviour towards me, and how she handled my mom's passing, and it all came to a dramatic head. It affected my kids as well. So I talked it through with a professional, and I cut her out of my life about 16+ years ago. I can't even remember. It's okay to do that, even with family. I accept that she has mental health issues and a substance abuse issue, and that those things make her difficult if not impossible to have in my life. I almost never think of her, but by cutting her out, there is nothing to forgive. She lives her life, I live mine, my kids who are grown are better off too. Maybe acceptance is similar to forgiving?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I can use my MIL as an example, she totally crossed a line with me several years ago, I have forgiven her in my own heart but she is not a part of my life. Along the same lines my husband's aunt I found out was spreading a rumor years ago that I had a drinking problem and I called her out on it and forgave her but there is a wall up.

In most cases I forgive people to myself but establish boundaries so it doesn't happen again. Maybe it's selfish but I forgive to spare my own sanity and happiness but the boundaries I establish give me comfort that it will be less likely that it will happen again.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's great if people can forgive others who wrong them. Personsally, there have been things in my life that I find completely unforgivable, so I have moved on and left those people behind.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgiveness is really a gift you give to yourself. I've been lucky in my life to be surrounded by mostly great people and a small group of carefully selected friends.

I was in a lot of emotional pain when my marriage was ending and I put trust in two people who did not deserve it, at a time when I was very vulnerable. They turned around and tried to use that pain and trust in them against me in a very cruel way (starting rumors, playing games at work, telling outright lies). I was lucky that the good people in my life saw it for what it was, told me what was going on, and shielded me from them. They were eventually removed from their jobs.

I have forgiven them by realizing that some people are damaged, and will always be that way. You can't fix them, and I think looking back on it I was extending friendship and confidence to them because I was desperately trying to fix the part of myself who was feeling hopeless and unloveable in the midst of my crumbling relationship.

I have 100% forgiven them because I realize I only feel a lingering sense of pity for them now instead of anger. I won't forget and I will never ever put myself in a situation to be around them again, but they are going to have a hard enough time living the rest of their lives as themselves. Why hold a grudge.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Missy! I thought I might have written about it before, but couldn't quite remember.

I just want to say that I think you are one of the most insightful people on Pricescope, and one of the best communicators I've ever "met." I don't mean because you found the link (lol) but in general.

Thank you Jambalaya. That is a huge compliment coming from you.

I think forgiving is beneficial for us and our health and not forgetting is the way we protect ourselves from getting hurt again. So I (try to) forgive but I don't forget. You know that saying- Fool me once shame on you ,Fool me twice shame on me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I depends what they've done, and who they are to you.

Sometimes forgiving can be allowing others to treat you like a doormat.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I have cut a couple of people out of my life who deliberately and maliciously hurt me. But I find that it doesn't stop there. I don't forgive and I ruminate. What I've found does work is to visualize a part of my brain lighting up in excitement, in response to the "outrage" I was subjected to. I recognize that the effect can be like a drug and it's gentler and more stimulating for my brain to change the thought. So it's really a focus on self as opposed to on some insecure dafties who will stop at nothing to boost themselves up and afterwards play the victim card. Zero self-respect. My brain is starting to fizz, off to Rocky Talky!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the reasons that Elliot stated above, I find forgiveness (with time) something pretty easy to do. I find holding anger/ill will/a grudge/pain/whatever you want to call it takes energy and room in my psyche. I work it through and move on. Yes, I've had some significant betrayals and bad things happen in my life and I've been able to forgive. Like Stephanie, if the individual remains in my life after I've forgiven them, its typically a different, more guarded relationship.

Its always been pretty easy for me to examine what role I might have played in any situation, but I've come to realize that I should do that only in so far as I can learn from it and then move on.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that I am still not "old enough" to forgive, let go, move on, forget, not hold grudges. Maybe next birthday.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is an ongoing process. Just when I think I have really forgiven someone, something pops up and I feel back at square one again. Then I have to decide to forgive them again, not for them but for me. If I don't it destroys my peace of mind and they are none the wiser.
I don't have any contact with my much older siblings (20 years plus older), or their families. They treated me horribly when I was a kid and blamed me for my parents splitting up. When I think of them or speak of them I find myself getting worked up again and I purposely forgive them yet again. They have no idea, but it frees me.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I find this topic so interesting, as I tend to be a person who ruminates. I am much better than I used to be, but like luv, it is pretty easy for me to slip back to square one.
Its always been pretty easy for me to examine what role I might have played in any situation, but I've come to realize that I should do that only in so far as I can learn from it and then move on.
I do think that like minousbijoux, I am able to see the role I might have played, and to realize that the motivations behind someone's actions may not be what I think them to be, but it is still hard for me to forgive someone who has hurt me. I hope to continue to get better at acceptance and forgiveness, because I do believe that it is essentially pretty harmful to exist in with all that negative energy swirling around you. I am a very sensitive person, and I take too much to heart. I do admire those work can stay in the moment, live through it, and then let it go.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the expression "Assume Good Intentions." Its often hard for me to do, but so worthwhile if I can remember to do it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really appreciate the participation. Am so busy at work and doing double shifts...more next week x

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results