shape
carat
color
clarity

The big old marquise does have fire!

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
I unset it today because I really wanted to know how much it weighed. The appraiser thought it was 9.7ct because of the dimensions (measured in the setting) but I don’t think it accounted for the antique cut. My carat scale only weighs to the 0.5ct but it weighed 10.5ct! I also weighed it on two gram scales. Does the conversion from 2.1g to 10.5ct sound correct?

Anyway, I wiped it down and the afternoon sun was fading and it really came to life! I figured you guys might like to see how an antique cut marquise can really flash. It looks so different out of the setting. I was also surprised about how much the color changes with different lighting and I love how stumpy it is. The setting has v shaped end prongs so the fact that the ends weren’t super pointy like a modern marquise was a total surprise.

I just wish my camera would catch everything my eyes do! I’m still working on my photography skills so this is pretty good for me. lol

_8379.jpg

fire4.jpg

fire7.jpg

_8378.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cool!!! I've been wondering how that stone was doing!

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
It’s still here. I’m indecisive!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you were going to sell it right? No re-cut?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheGeckoLady|1375152204|3492869 said:
It’s still here. I’m indecisive!

I think a good recut would make an enormous difference as well!!!!

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
I’m still pretty sure I don’t want to recut. :(sad BGD evaluated it but recommended only cutting it into a nicer cut modern marquise which would still leave it pretty darn big. That’s normally ideal but it doesn’t solve my dilemma of feeling like it’s too big to wear daily. Recutting to improve its current state would help hide the flaws but that would be the only benefit (to me) at this point since I actually like antique cuts. There’s not really a great way to recut it into a different shape without putting very obvious inclusions right in the middle of the stone. I’d be spending money to make it worth way less. If it were a VS stone I would recut it in a heartbeat! So that’s why I was thinking about selling it instead. If I do, I’m going to keep the setting and have it reworked for the new stone. But I still haven’t decided. LOL

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
did they ever determine if that was a laser drill hole?

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
It’s not, it’s natural. *edit* Meaning, the spot someone said looks like a drill mark is a flaw, not a drill mark.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheGeckoLady|1375153381|3492884 said:
It’s not, it’s natural.

oh good!!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheGeckoLady|1375153077|3492878 said:
I’m still pretty sure I don’t want to recut. :(sad BGD evaluated it but recommended only cutting it into a nicer cut modern marquise which would still leave it pretty darn big. That’s normally ideal but it doesn’t solve my dilemma of feeling like it’s too big to wear daily. Recutting to improve its current state would help hide the flaws but that would be the only benefit (to me) at this point since I actually like antique cuts. There’s not really a great way to recut it into a different shape without putting very obvious inclusions right in the middle of the stone. I’d be spending money to make it worth way less. If it were a VS stone I would recut it in a heartbeat! So that’s why I was thinking about selling it instead. If I do, I’m going to keep the setting and have it reworked for the new stone. But I still haven’t decided. LOL

Great idea keeping the setting. It would look amazing with a nice sized OEC in it as well!!!!

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
The difference in color appearance is pretty cool.

It looks almost colorless here -

And light yellow here -

fire9.jpg

_8380.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheGeckoLady|1375153693|3492887 said:

WOW! It looks really white here! What was the color?

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
It was appraised as an O. I think it was reflecting off my gray skirt in the first photo. If I recut it I wouldn’t be able to use those huge facets as a mirror in case I need to check my lipstick. JK :lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheGeckoLady|1375153856|3492891 said:
It was appraised as an O. I think it was reflecting off my gray skirt in the first photo. If I recut it I wouldn’t be able to use those huge facets as a mirror in case I need to check my lipstick. JK :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is amazing. Would you like it as a pendant?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Adam at Old World Diamonds and Ari at Singlestone? They might be able to find a cutter that could work wonders with it but still leave it as an Antique Cut marquise. Its colour lends itself more towards an Antique stone....

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
I don’t really wear necklaces that often. I have a silver pendant silhouette of one of my sphynx cats that I wear occasionally but I can’t imagine myself wearing something this fancy on my neck. Just personal preference I guess. I like sparkle on my fingers but that’s the only jewelry I really wear.

I haven’t really talked to any other cutters. I think because of the size it’s just not going to be in the budget right now. Maybe one day but not anytime soon. I need to replace my bathtub so a bathroom makeover is going to happen way sooner than a diamond makeover. It will not be nearly as fun! I did email GOG about it but of course I’d have to mail it to them to evaluate and they estimated the shipping would cost me several hundred dollars. I just happened to be in the same city as BGD so I was able to stop by in person.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheGeckoLady|1375153693|3492887 said:

And light yellow here -

These pics are amazing TheGeckoLady! What an interesting and very cool stone! Good luck with your decision, I know it's a tough one and I don't have any great advice other than to go with your heart and do whatever will make you the happiest.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love the photos! She sure does have personality!! I think waiting to do anything until you feel totally comfortable with whatever that decision is makes total sense.

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
She's gorgeous and quirky, which is what I love about old cuts. Tubs are so much less exciting then diamonds, but being a grown up is often rather dull. :nono: I can't wait to see what you eventually decide to do with her.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'd set that lovely stone in a heart beat and i'd wear it with pride. too big?! no way.

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
I guess it’s all relative! I would have no problem wearing a 4ct round on my finger everyday but 10ct marquise is past my size limit I guess. I’m only 5’ tall and have pretty small hands so it just looks funny. I tried wearing it for a week and I felt silly. People already look at me funny because my skin looks like a coloring book so it wasn’t that, I just can’t get used to how it looks on my hand. I did order a pendant setting for it just to see what it looks like on my neck. I don’t think I’ll like it but I figured since everyone keeps suggesting it I’d at least give it a try.

I just can’t get past the fact that it takes up a 3rd of my finger. It’s one of those be careful what you wish for type things. I never thought there would be a diamond too big for me. I know I could find a way to wear a 100ct diamond, just not very often. I wish I loved wearing this one as much as I love looking at it.

fire8.jpg

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Its lovely just the way it is..I think it would look great on a larger, long chain pendant.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TheGeckoLady|1375210829|3493208 said:
I guess it’s all relative! I would have no problem wearing a 4ct round on my finger everyday but 10ct marquise is past my size limit I guess. I’m only 5’ tall and have pretty small hands so it just looks funny. I tried wearing it for a week and I felt silly. People already look at me funny because my skin looks like a coloring book so it wasn’t that, I just can’t get used to how it looks on my hand. I did order a pendant setting for it just to see what it looks like on my neck. I don’t think I’ll like it but I figured since everyone keeps suggesting it I’d at least give it a try.

I just can’t get past the fact that it takes up a 3rd of my finger. It’s one of those be careful what you wish for type things. I never thought there would be a diamond too big for me. I know I could find a way to wear a 100ct diamond, just not very often. I wish I loved wearing this one as much as I love looking at it.

Oh shit girl, I love that it takes up a third of your finger!! You can make it a special occasion right hand ring. Rock it on a fancy dinner night or even if you just feel like getting extra dolled up. That is one cool stone. It definitely benefits from being out of its setting.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I do think this stone looks amazing on your finger, and would make a wonderful cocktail/dress up ering, I also can see it in a bracelet.

I don't remember what poster it is who made a bracelet inspired by a piece owned by Princess Diana. Diana's bracelet had a large rectangular cut aquamarine as the focal point, set in a basket that sat on top of her wrist. From the sides of the aqua, a multi strand pearl bracelet was attached. I can see a similar style bracelet made, with the pearls coming from the sides of the marquise, or maybe even better, the stone set east/west, with the pearls coming from the points of the stone.

I apologize that I cannot remember who the poster is, or if I'm not doing a good job describing the bracelet. Or worse, my memory of the piece is inaccurate. Still, I do think it's possible to find a wonderful way to use this gorgeous stone with family history.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally LOVE how the stone looks on your finger without the v shaped prongs on the setting elongating it further. The diamond looks like it fits perfectly on your finger, although I can't speak to how comfortable it feels... The shape of the unset diamond is gorgeous on your hand. Very Very cool diamond!!! Thanks for sharing the photos.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
KaeKae said:
While I do think this stone looks amazing on your finger, and would make a wonderful cocktail/dress up ering, I also can see it in a bracelet.

I don't remember what poster it is who made a bracelet inspired by a piece owned by Princess Diana. Diana's bracelet had a large rectangular cut aquamarine as the focal point, set in a basket that sat on top of her wrist. From the sides of the aqua, a multi strand pearl bracelet was attached. I can see a similar style bracelet made, with the pearls coming from the sides of the marquise, or maybe even better, the stone set east/west, with the pearls coming from the points of the stone.

I apologize that I cannot remember who the poster is, or if I'm not doing a good job describing the bracelet. Or worse, my memory of the piece is inaccurate. Still, I do think it's possible to find a wonderful way to use this gorgeous stone with family history.

That's Sarahbear's bracelet. It's a beauty.

I adore this stone. I would absolutely wear it every day. I'd send it off to Leon, Victor or Single Stone for a bespoke setting.

But... I'm not the lucky one with your dilemma! And I live in a big city where such baubles are not unheard of. Good luck whatever you decide!

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
Haha! Yeah, everything’s bigger in Texas except for peoples diamond rings I guess. It’s definitely not like NY or CA. Every once in a while I notice someone wearing a really nice, big solitaire but I usually see people wearing pretty understated rings. I’ll have to look up Sarahbear’s bracelet. It sounds gorgeous! And I agree, I like the shape of the diamond much better without the v prongs.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good gracious.

OK now I pick myself off the floor....

That whiter picture makes me unbelievable envious. Its spectacular!! I understand it being too big for everyday wear though... I can't imagine going to any job with that on.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You could have the clasp designed so that it could be removed and worn with different pearls or even with different chains. It could then also be worn as a diamond clasp on a necklace. It would also look gorgeous as a clasp for a heavy 22k woven chain (bracelet or necklace).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results