shape
carat
color
clarity

The Appraisal Nightmare - Richard Sherwood Appraisal

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
Arcadian, you did what many people would have done, including me. When working with someone new, I want to show I'm a good customer, flexible, concerned with quality, but not pushy or overly demanding. We expect in good faith not to be taken advantage of or disregarded for our courtesy. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I agree that a full refund, while not fixing things, would be a fair gesture. The story about the stone and it's significance to you is very touching.I hope you decide to keep it and make your ring! I'm sure you'll love it and be glad you waited for it ::)

Also, an ignore feature on this forum might be nice at times, lol. For now just have to scroll quickly past certain posts :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1308711799|2951659 said:
beach|1308709382|2951612 said:
FrekeChild|1308707140|2951565 said:
Just because someone has a stellar experience with Richard DOES NOT mean that everyone will.

This goes for every vendor.

Beach, Arcadian asked you to step out because you obviously cannot remain objective. Richard is perfectly capable of responding himself.
Freke the same can then be said regarding you and Arcadian... She can take care of her self and she doe not need you to defend her. :cheeky: Wow...

If you post on a public forum you need to be open to ALL responses. So many on pricescope engage in group think and simply agree with each other 99% of the time and avoid telling people what they truly think. The cliques in the forum don't help either... This is sad and keeps the forum from growing and diversifying. I gave my opinion and I am allowed to do so. I am happy Richard responded to you.

@beach, Excuse you but this is a CONSUMER forum. That means good or bad, consumers should in fact pipe up when a process is good or bad with a vendor.

**edited by moderator. please control your word choices on the forum. we do not condone these type of comments**
---------------------------------

@ Richard, Thank you for coming forward and for your apology. As I said in the email back to you, the stone itself has a profound significance to both myself and my husband.

The stone (for those who are NOT aware) is more than just about 10 years of wedded bliss. Its about the fact that my husband and I nearly lost each other. in 2003 I had a recurrence of colon cancer. In 2006 he had a heart attack with 100% blockage on the right side of his heart. Each year together for us is a blessing because its something we almost didn't have.

Its more of the meaning behind it than the actual stone, but the fact that my husband picked out that stone means the world to me. Making sure that the ring was done by our anniversary was something both of us really looked forward to as we also will be recommitting ourselves to each other that day.

---------------------------------
@Everyone else, Thank you for your constructive comments and kind words. At the moment, I'll just wait and see what comes forth. At that time, I will decide what to do next.

-A

Your remarks are very hostile. They do not reflect well on you. Beach's comments didn't warrant these remarks.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
beach|1308709382|2951612 said:
FrekeChild|1308707140|2951565 said:
Just because someone has a stellar experience with Richard DOES NOT mean that everyone will.

This goes for every vendor.

Beach, Arcadian asked you to step out because you obviously cannot remain objective. Richard is perfectly capable of responding himself.
Freke the same can then be said regarding you and Arcadian... She can take care of her self and she doe not need you to defend her. :cheeky: Wow...

If you post on a public forum you need to be open to ALL responses. So many on pricescope engage in group think and simply agree with each other 99% of the time and avoid telling people what they truly think. The cliques in the forum don't help either... This is sad and keeps the forum from growing and diversifying. I gave my opinion and I am allowed to do so. I am happy Richard responded to you.
Uh I think my 15,000+ posts here on Pricescope shows I can play just fine in this sandbox. She never asked for your (or anyone else's) opinion, she spoke of her own experience--which you had no part of. It is incredibly obvious (to me!) that she is VERY VERY upset that Richard has neglected her in such a manner and on such a special project to boot. And as a result, he has further screwed her as far as her chosen vendor's deadlines for beginning work on this project. I think if you were to OBJECTIVELY read your own posts, you would see clearly that you are doing nothing but upsetting her further.

Having had my own rough experiences with dearly beloved vendors mentioned adoringly here on PS (coughJKTcough) on a terribly sentimental piece, I can certainly sympathize with Arc's situation. I recommend putting yourself in her shoes for a bit, as I have.

I think everyone is probably nodding their head's to VapidLapid's post...which I find myself doing at the moment.

Also, if I were Arc, I really would not accept an appraisal at this point Richard. I think she needs to be given a full refund whether you find the notes or not. You have delayed her project to her detriment and now you say you cannot find the notes...on an appraisal that should have been completed at least a month ago. A refund, whether notes are found or not, is the least you could do at this point. You certainly can't give her the past two months of waiting back.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
bluebirrrd|1308712428|2951668 said:
Arcadian, you did what many people would have done, including me. When working with someone new, I want to show I'm a good customer, flexible, concerned with quality, but not pushy or overly demanding. We expect in good faith not to be taken advantage of or disregarded for our courtesy. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I agree that a full refund, while not fixing things, would be a fair gesture. The story about the stone and it's significance to you is very touching.I hope you decide to keep it and make your ring! I'm sure you'll love it and be glad you waited for it ::)

Also, an ignore feature on this forum might be nice at times, lol. For now just have to scroll quickly past certain posts :lol:
There is one, but I don't remember exactly how it works because I haven't utilized it. Something about "friends" and "foes" maybe?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The stone (for those who are NOT aware) is more than just about 10 years of wedded bliss. Its about the fact that my husband and I nearly lost each other. in 2003 I had a recurrence of colon cancer. In 2006 he had a heart attack with 100% blockage on the right side of his heart. Each year together for us is a blessing because its something we almost didn't have.

Its more of the meaning behind it than the actual stone, but the fact that my husband picked out that stone means the world to me. Making sure that the ring was done by our anniversary was something both of us really looked forward to as we also will be recommitting ourselves to each other that day.

It's somehow fitting that a stone that represents survival through the trials of life has had its own tribulation to pass through. Congratulations on 10 years of love and life. Hopefully the appraisal will be in your hands soon, and you can move on with creating a beautiful piece to showcase your special stone!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Kudos for taking responsibility and your candor, but, uhm . . . what gives?

Overwhelmed, I guess would be the right word. I'm simply overwhelmed with work, and can't keep up with it all.

I've quit taking in any additional appraisal work until I complete the work I have, which will probably take two or three months. After that time I'll assess things and decide whether to keep appraising or not. Right now I'd say probably no, because the buying and selling is so much more profitable, but I hired a top notch gemologist who looks promising in helping me deal with the appraisal work. She's a Russian Graduate Gemologist, with a Masters in Geology. Perhaps things will work out. I hope so, because I enjoy appraising.

But the truth of the matter is that there is much more money to be made buying & selling than appraising only. That's why it's so hard to find independent appraisers (I am a non-independent now). As an independent appraiser there is a ceiling on how much money you can make, as there is only so many hours in a day. As a buyer and seller, there is no ceiling.

I hope that I'll be judged overall by the past eleven years worth of customer service, and not this last few months where I fell behind.

Arcadian, I'll mail that refund out to you tomorrow. Again, my apologies. Gorgeous stone, by the way. May the aggravation make you appreciate it more, not less. Bad ju-ju be gone! Good ju-ju come in...

Rich

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The main reason people tend to get upset in situations like this has to do with expectation management. Arcadian was obviously led to believe the whole time that this could not only be done, but be done within her timeline. Lack of communication can be totally stressful and put someone in an awkward position, without the power to decide what to do next. If Richard had said at any point earlier, "look, I'm sorry, I've bitten off more than I can chew and don't think I can meet your deadline", then Arcadian could have taken control of the situation again and found someone else. I agree that a refund is in order, at least a partial one even if notes are found and the report is produced asap. Richard made it clear that the priorities that bumped this project are more lucrative, so perhaps he can share the wealth, and Arcadian can put the money towards a consolation stone. :naughty:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

-A

Congrats on your 10 years as a family and couple. Hopefully soon you will be enjoying your beautiful ring that represents your lives together. I wish you both good health and happiness! :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Richard Sherwood|1308714105|2951687 said:
Kudos for taking responsibility and your candor, but, uhm . . . what gives?

Overwhelmed, I guess would be the right word. I'm simply overwhelmed with work, and can't keep up with it all.

I've quit taking in any additional appraisal work until I complete the work I have, which will probably take two or three months. After that time I'll assess things and decide whether to keep appraising or not. Right now I'd say probably no, because the buying and selling is so much more profitable, but I hired a top notch gemologist who looks promising in helping me deal with the appraisal work. She's a Russian Graduate Gemologist, with a Masters in Geology. Perhaps things will work out. I hope so, because I enjoy appraising.

But the truth of the matter is that there is much more money to be made buying & selling than appraising only. That's why it's so hard to find independent appraisers (I am a non-independent now). As an independent appraiser there is a ceiling on how much money you can make, as there is only so many hours in a day. As a buyer and seller, there is no ceiling.

I hope that I'll be judged overall by the past eleven years worth of customer service, and not this last few months where I fell behind.

Arcadian, I'll mail that refund out to you tomorrow. Again, my apologies. Gorgeous stone, by the way. May the aggravation make you appreciate it more, not less. Bad ju-ju be gone! Good ju-ju come in...

Rich

Thanks Richard, but if I was Arc the last thing I'd want to hear right now is that this was all because you are not making as much money off of her as you are on your other businesses.
I might have just said I'm swamped with work and I'm sorry; I should not have agreed to so much work.

But kudos for sticking your head in the PS guillotine and offering the refund.
It shows good faith.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian,
I am so sorry that it happened to you. I have noticed that nice and polite people who say, "Oh, I can wait", often get bumped to the end of the line...
No bad juju about the stone, I just hope that your mood will improve as soon as you get it set in a jewelry! Keep us posted!

And congratulations on your 10th anniversary! May you both stay healthy and happy!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluebirrrd|1308712428|2951668 said:

Bluebirrrd, guess what? I found that bad boy.

In order to keep pricescope a healthy place, Its best I utilize it for 2 people who are CR'ing. =) I hate when people do that. shows they care a little too much.

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru thank you.

Kenny, I honestly don't mind that he said the truth, because I would rather know than not. I'm all for honesty, even if I don't like the answer. What I don't like is folks CR and intentionally stir the pot to get reactions from folks who are already stirred up. It happened to but ah well... its all in a day right?

-A

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian, I'm so sorry that you and your husband's pleasure in the tourmaline has been spoiled. It is a very special and beautiful stone, and its beauty is certainly a worthy representation of you and your DH's love and commitment. Congratulations to both of you for the upcoming celebration of your marriage, and I wish many, many happy and healthy years for your future!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does CR mean?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Hi Arc

Congratulations on your pending anniversary, may your family enjoy many years of good health. The tourmaline ring will be beautiful! :appl:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
crasru|1308716504|2951707 said:
Arcadian,
I am so sorry that it happened to you. I have noticed that nice and polite people who say, "Oh, I can wait", often get bumped to the end of the line...
No bad juju about the stone, I just hope that your mood will improve as soon as you get it set in a jewelry! Keep us posted!

And congratulations on your 10th anniversary! May you both stay healthy and happy!

This.
I have a sneaking suspicion this happens to me a lot :???:

Arcadian, I remember that Swala stone, and the joy you expressed
when you opened the package with your husband.
When you shared it on PS, I took one look and said:
Damn!!!!
I bet that stone prompted a lot of Swala hits that day 8-)

It's going to be a Hum-Dinger, and your love can certainly weather
this little tempest ~ Enjoy your Celebration and your beautiful ring
and all the best to you and DH ! :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian,
I wish you and your husband a wonderful 10th anniversary, and all the happiness in the world. Your story was very touching, and I know the ring will be a beautiful symbol of your love when it is finally done. :bigsmile:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1308727375|2951780 said:
What does CR mean?

I don't know either

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm curious what CR means too, but I'd also like to see this stone. Can someone please link me to a thread with a picture of it? My search function doesn't seem to be working to try and find one myself.
Arcadian, hope you have a wonderful anniversary and many more to come.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
jstarfireb|1308713642|2951684 said:

It's somehow fitting that a stone that represents survival through the trials of life has had its own tribulation to pass through. Congratulations on 10 years of love and life. Hopefully the appraisal will be in your hands soon, and you can move on with creating a beautiful piece to showcase your special stone!

If there were a "like" button, I'd be pressing it on this comment. Thoughtful and appropriate, jstarfireb. Nicely said. :appl:

Arc - glad to see you'll be getting the refund. I hope once things settle a bit you can still get your project done before your anniversary. *hugs* to you. :))

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, VapidLapid. That is a beautiful stone! :love:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Arc, sending you some stress relieving dust--
fairy%20dust.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad that I found this thread only after everything was resolved, because I found it very upsetting to read! I am so sorry for what you went through, Arcadian. Your stone is absolutely gorgeous and no one picture can do it justice. I had to see many of them in order to get a sense of what a stunning gem it really is!

As another poster said, I cannot wait to see it set. I am so glad that it has such special meaning for you and your husband. You are lucky to have such a wonderful, loving marriage!

Warm hugs,
Deb/AGBF
:read:

Attachments

• ArcadianTourmaline.bmp
    686.3 KB · Views: 735

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry for the stress and frustration, Arcadian.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian, I'm so sorry you've had to go through this with your beautiful stone. And I'm really ticked off about the remarks that a couple of posters have made. **edited by moderator. personal insults do not have a place on PS**

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary! I can't wait to see this ring :appl: !

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please remember that personal insults will not be tolerated on PS. Your point can be made without the use of personal insults towards another poster.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arc - I'm really really really sorry to hear your story but I'm glad it's almost resolved. I realise you won't get back the lost time but at least you're not out of pocket. I have suffered in the past from trying to be flexible by not pressing for work to be completed but I have to say that I now give very firm deadlines - precisely because I've been burned! The reality is that my expectation of speed may not be somebody else's and I now agree timelines so I know what to expect and others know what is expected from them!

Your story of beating the odds was heart warming (and the stone's neonicity reflects that). So, please give it another chance - after all, if it had bad ju-ju, you can bet it would have been lost in the mail, chipped, etc etc etc.

As an aside, you and Freke are both valued members of this forum and (even though we've never met), I consider you both to cyber bling buddies - so don't let the mean comments get to either of you! Hugs and love to you both. xx

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Ella|1308844677|2952953 said:
Please remember that personal insults will not be tolerated on PS. Your point can be made without the use of personal insults towards another poster.

Thank you :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results