shape
carat
color
clarity
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TGIF--Let's get grossed out!

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by canuk-gal, Jan 12, 2018.

1. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by canuk-gal » Jan 12, 2018
    HI:

A little levity...it's been a long and COLD week. What is the "worst" thing you've found in your food or gross behavior you've witnessed in a restaurant or market?

I'll go first. I just returned from the market where I witnessed a lady sampling the grapes. Something must have been disagreeable as she spat the grape out into her hand, threw it on the floor, then with her dirty (saliva) hand touched the other produce. I just about barfed.sad :((:knockout:

As for food, I found a long black hair in a bag of salt and vinegar chips. At least it was deep fried!:rodent: Unfortunately if anyone in our family/group will find hair in their food, it is me. eyiyiyi

cheers--Sharon

elle_71125 likes this.
  2. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

HI:

Oh ya, I just thought of another one.

This is a Maui story...there we were having cocktails at a luxe spot, in paradise, watching the waves and then lunch arrives..

Mine starts to move. I had a salad--and one of the leafy greens was alive! I called the server who called the manager--and we had a good laugh. He was very professional--and stated they took pride in their organic produce from up island and I agreed that supporting local markets is the way to go. I think the creature was unthawed in my bowl and wanted to escape! LOLOL I had another drink instead of lunch and of course they comped our meal. My family laughed cuz it always happens to me!:lol-2:

cheers--Sharon

elle_71125 and redwood66 like this.
  3. mrs-b
    Ideal_Rock

by mrs-b » Jan 12, 2018
    I once found chopped, dehydrated rat in my oatmeal. I'd prepared it and, while I didn't actually eat any, I ate some warm oatmeal that was touching it. The taste was terrible.

I spat it out (and no, I did not then go on to buy grapes, Sharon!), and poured the rest into a strainer and found half a dozen or so lumps - grey and coated on one side with stiff gray hair. I went through the rest of the box and there were multiple lumps. I didn't initially notice them because they'd obviously gone into the box moist, and had dried, coated in oatmeal flakes. So when I scooped out a cup to make my porridge, it just all looked like oatmeal. Once I washed some off, tho, it revealed what they were, and they stank. Whenever I tell that story, everyone asks me if I got back to Uncle Toby's to complain - and the answer is no. I was 22 years old and knew nothing about writing letters of complaint to companies or how to get something out of a situation like that. And let's face it - the last thing I was looking for was free Uncle Toby's oatmeal for life!

As for 'the worst thing in a restaurant' - my French class went to a French restaurant for a high school outing. I was sitting near the open door to the kitchen and, when the plates were collected, I watched one of the kitchen hands remove all the left over garnishes (parsley) and any leftover lettuce leaves, wash them off, and replace them into a large tub with unused (or previously used - who knows?) cuttings of parsley, and lettuce leaves, ready to be used again.

On the other hand - I always think watching the chefs on Top Chef sweat into the pots of food they're making while competing is pretty gross.

Sunstorm, elle_71125 and canuk-gal like this.
  4. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

HI:

Mrs-B--WOT the he**!!!! I don't think I'll ever look at oatmeal the same way!!!:cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

5. Loreal
    Shiny_Rock

by Loreal » Jan 12, 2018
    Ok, mine is not a food, but gym story. I walk into the women’s locker room to a woman bending over naked as the day she was born, with her undercarriage completely exposed to me. Hey, I’m not a huge prude, but really, can’t she cover up? I don’t need to see that. This sight should be reserved for her significant other or her gynecologist!

elle_71125 likes this.
  6. elle_71125
    Ideal_Rock

by elle_71125 » Jan 12, 2018
    These are the kinds of stories that make me want to never ever eat again!!! :sick: I don't know how you didn't vomit @mrs-b !

I think the most disgusting one I remember was eating a ham and cheese sandwich. It had plenty of lettuce, which I love. I'm busy chowing down on my sandwhich when all of the sudden I see my lettuce start to move! :confused2:
    I turned it over and found a very large green worm/caterpillar eating the same lettuce as me. The thought that I could have eaten that guy was so utterly revolting that I didn't eat sandwiches for two years after that (and I'm a freak about checking my greens now).

ETA: this has me thinking of Disney's The Lion King now. Remember that scene when Timon and Pumbaa suck down bugs like spaghetti? :???:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

No kidding. Yikes!:rodent:

8. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

LOL. I wash my fruit and veggies. Frequently with soap.

My classmate had a caterpillar in her salad--we were eating in a hospital cafeteria.

It is cathartic talking about it, Elle. We gotta laugh otherwise we'll starve!

elle_71125 likes this.
  9. Maisie
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Maisie » Jan 12, 2018
    :eek-2: Why did I open this thread!

kipari, snotty_pie, Rhea and 2 others like this.
  10. azstonie
    Ideal_Rock

by azstonie » Jan 12, 2018
    FYI Maui
    http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2017/04/six-cases-of-rat-lungworm-reported-on-maui/

Six cases of rat lungworm have been reported on Maui over the past three months — tripling the amount of cases the island has seen in the past decade, Maui District Health Officer Dr. Lorrin Pang said Tuesday.

Three of the cases are confirmed with a seventh case involving a Maui woman who believes she contracted the parasite on the Big Island, Pang said. The island has only had two cases of the disease, one of which was confirmed in 2010.

“Is this a slow epidemic?” Pang asked. “For Maui, it seems pretty fast.”

The disease is commonly spread through contact with the invasive “semi-slug,” which is prevalent on the Big Island, where the vast majority of cases are reported in Hawaii. Rats host the worm and pass larvae through their feces, which are eaten by the slugs. Humans are then infected after eating raw fruits and vegetables contaminated by the slug.

The infection can cause a rare type of meningitis that causes severe headaches and stiffness of the neck, tingling or painful feelings in the skin or extremities, low-grade fever, nausea and vomiting, according to the state Department of Health Disease Investigation Branch. Temporary paralysis of the face may also occur as well as light sensitivity.

There is no cure for the disease.

“It’s pretty bad,” Pang said of the worm, which attacks the brain and spinal cord. “Some of the damage is permanent.”

Reactions from the parasite vary from person to person, but it appears the Maui woman has one of the worst cases, a friend said. Hana resident Kawika Kaina identified the woman as Tricia Mynar, a teacher at Kamehameha Schools Maui, and said she is experiencing tremendous pain and uses a walker due to the damage from the parasite.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-brai...snails-has-health-officials-concerned-in-maui

The infection is spread when rats carrying the parasite excrete the larvae of the roundworm in their faeces. From there, it can be picked up by other animals, such as snails, slugs, freshwater shrimp, crabs, and frogs.

If people handle or consume any of these infected animals – or come into contact with them on contaminated food sources, such as raw fruit and vegetables – they too can become infected.

For many, there are no symptoms, and most people recover from the infection on their own. But in some cases, the worm moves into the brain and nervous system, resulting in a parasitic form of meningitis that can cause intense headaches, tremors, numbness, and fever symptoms – and which can ultimately turn out to be fatal.

"The parasites are in the lining of my brain, moving around," Maui resident and preschool worker Tricia Mynar, who believes she contracted the infection while on the Big Island, told Honolulu Civil Beat.

Showering and bathing is a problem, if you have a break in your skin or a meatus through which the organism can enter...Maui uses a lot of cachement via rain water, which as it collects attracts the rats, snails, slugs, frogs, etc.

Once I started working in government in public health, I stopped eating fresh fruit and vegetables during travel and I'm super cautious with what I drink when I'm not at home.

11. RetroTreeGal
    Shiny_Rock

by RetroTreeGal » Jan 12, 2018
    As a teenager, I went with my mother to Cracker Barrel where she always got the stewed apples as one of her side dishes. After a bite, she pulled out a glob of hair similar to what you’d pull out of a clogged drain. She called attention to it to the waitress who apologized profusely and offered to get her another dish of apples. Mom pointed out that all of the stewed apples likely came from the same pot, so no, she’d have something else. I wonder if they threw out the pot of apples or just kept serving it...

12. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

PSA.

That said, I'm a gonner!

13. kenny
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by kenny » Jan 12, 2018
    +1
    Seems like a thread that Kenny would start. :oops:

Maisie likes this.
  14. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

I recall your beautifully photographed (parsley??) thread, Kenny. I said the same thing!

15. Elizabeth35
    Shiny_Rock

by Elizabeth35 » Jan 12, 2018
    We were at a resort in Costa Rica with two youngest, who were teenagers. At the breakfast buffet one of them went to get a scoop of cereal and there was a live cockroach in the cereal jar. He was pretty calm and told one of the servers and waited patiently for new cereal.
    My friend in HS bit into a candy bar and felt something moving---spit it out and there were live maggots.

16. StephanieLynn
    Ideal_Rock

by StephanieLynn » Jan 12, 2018
    This is minor compared to some things shared here. In my twenties I worked in the mall and they had a food court I would frequent for convenience. So I'm standing in the food court trying to decide what to eat and I see the guy in Taco Bell mopping the floor. This kid comes up to order food and he pushes the mop bucket away and proceeds to take his order and make his food. No gloves either.

I have never eaten at Taco Bell and never will now that I associate it with dirty mop water :sick:

17. kenny
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by kenny » Jan 13, 2018
    I was in the US military around 1980 having dinner at a swanky restaurant in Makati, one of the most expensive cities that make up The Philippines' capital city of Metro Manila.

A dark cat casually meanders along the back of the booths.
    It has no fear of humans and stops often to sniff around.
    Oh, wait! ... It IS as large as an adult cat, but it is not a cat!

It was a rat. :-o :eek2: :knockout::knockout::knockout:

18. AprilBaby
    Ideal_Rock

by AprilBaby » Jan 13, 2018
    We had a mouse bottled in some unopened ranch dressing. I thought I saw something but hubby told me to leave him alone. After he poured and ate some I saw the mouse. I called poison control to see if I needed to take him to the hospital. They told me the mouse was probably pickled anyway so don’t worry. My husband was annoyed at me being upset and wanted the bottle thrown away ASAP. We wanted to save it to take to the supermarket. He won and tossed it out. I thought I was going to be sick. He finished his meal (but not the salad).

19. arkieb1
    Ideal_Rock

by arkieb1 » Jan 13, 2018
    I was sitting with an ex boyfriend eating Chinese in a foodcourt when he suddenly pulls out bubble gum or chewing gum that was obviously used out of his meal.

We ordered a Dominoes pizza that had fine metal shavings on it from the can/tin of pineapple that they had opened.

We found a metal nut in a cereal box.

Numerous bugs, caterpillars, dead cockroaches and the odd OMG that's a big spider in veggies brought home from the supermarket.

20. AGBF
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by AGBF » Jan 13, 2018
    I "had to" skim most of this thread. In fact, no one forced me to open it. I would rather I had not opened it (I guess). It makes me think of the millions of political threads Sharon (and others) have suffered through in Hangout. If this keeps some of you-all of whom I love-coming back when you are tired on Fridays, keep these (disgusting) threads coming. I will now know they are really not for me and will just not read them.

The funny thing is that I worked in hospitals for many years while thinking I wanted to become a doctor, and medical talk over meals never, ever bothered me. And I really heard pretty much everything that went on in hospitals while I ate. This was different. This was not just people talking about their days. It was gratuitous. I guess it also wasn't medical or heading for a purpose (even if the purpose was not achieved).

Just my observation on threads one wants to avoid. ;))

Deb :wavey:

canuk-gal likes this.
  21. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Jan 13, 2018
    Ugh! Yes I opened the thread and don't regret it because it was Sharon who started it and I love you Sharon.:kiss:

OK so here is my gross story. I was preparing a big fresh salad (organic of course) and as I was doing so OMG a live insect was in it and it wasn't just any small insect. It was a grasshopper! Ugh and argh and yes that experience a few years ago makes me super cautious when washing and prepping any salads and food in general. And I won't lie. It makes me a more reluctant restaurant goer but that is mainly because of Anthony Bourdain's book from 15 plus years ago that when I read I went uh oh bah bye eating out 3 times a week. Ewwwwww.

Here is an article he wrote from 1999. The book I have that made me think twice about eating out so often is "Kitchen Confidential". I highly recommend reading it. Very eye opening and entertaining and reader beware. If you want to remain blissfully ignorant about the restaurant experience don't read it. LOL.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2000/aug/13/foodanddrink1

Here is an extract from the book Kitchen Confidential.

Bon Appétit!

bonapetit.gif

canuk-gal and Jimmianne like this.
  22. Sunstorm
    Brilliant_Rock
    Trade

by Sunstorm » Jan 13, 2018
    Thank God I have never been a cereal person.

RosieR likes this.
  23. Jimmianne
    Ideal_Rock

by Jimmianne » Jan 13, 2018
    Sharon, i read your first post and that was it for me. This thread takes courage to read.
    And I will venture back in eventually.
    I recently found a rather large cooked black beetle in a can of green beans.
    A few years ago I cut my gum on some metal in an Edwards pie. When I contact the company they said whoops! Guess the magnet missed that one! Never before thought about how the pies are processed. They sent me a slew of coupons, which I threw out.

canuk-gal and mrs-b like this.
  24. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

25. Jimmianne
    Ideal_Rock

Shrimp look lIke insects of the sea. I try not to think of that every time I enjoy them.

canuk-gal likes this.
  26. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Jan 13, 2018

Jimmianne! Because of you (and I thank you for this you know so don’t feel badly) I no longer eat what was my favorite dish at Molyvos. Do you remember when we ate there and you told me that Octopi are the most intelligent of any invertebrate, even compared to spiders and crustaceans. So I haven’t eaten any since. I was so upset I didn’t know that before and thank you for telling me. ((((Hugs)))).

Jimmianne likes this.
  27. canuk-gal
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by canuk-gal » Jan 13, 2018
    HI:

Thanks for humoring me folks! :wavey: Some of the accounts are difficult to read...aka barf. But thanks for sharing! As the Dalai Lama says (and I paraphrase) 'sharing diminishes our burden'.

...he's another one......We flew local airlines in Indonesia and there were cockroaches on the plane...hopping on tray tables....we skipped the food service....:P2:knockout:

cheers--Sharon

missy likes this.
  28. AGBF
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by AGBF » Jan 13, 2018
    Oh, sure, missy. Imply that I said I regretted reading this thread because I love Sharon less than you do. ;))

Why am I back here?

Deb
    :saint:

canuk-gal, Jimmianne and missy like this.
  29. missy
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by missy » Jan 13, 2018
    :lol:

Deb, you know I love you too right? I have plenty of love to share. :kiss::halo:

canuk-gal, Jimmianne and AGBF like this.
  30. Jimmianne
    Ideal_Rock

Ah Missy
    Sorry and glad
    If that makes sense lol

missy likes this.