shape
carat
color
clarity

Testing New Cool Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool new technology Leo...

More of a virtual look at gems through feed versus internet photography..

I know Wink has done a write up on colored stones on the home page and with this addition I have often wondered why he doesn't hang around here more..
15.gif

Cool Update..
21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Works for diamonds too
1.gif

Great resolution, much better than the other sites I know using the same type of presentation. One can even pick up the color variation in that tourmaline - quite impressive !

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would like to hang around more, but I only have 48 hours a day and they just are not enough. I used to only have 24, then I hired an assistant and arranged for the extra hours, but I am now informed by my wife that I must spend a few hours a week with her or there will be holy heck to pay!

The photos were taken by Randy Hays and we did nine stones, eight of which were cut by Richard Homer. As with most photos the color is not quite correct, this stone has much more visible blue in it. It is a 10.61ct tourmaline that weighed 15.95 cts when I bought it in Brasil a few years ago. I had Richard recut it and WOW, it is HOT!

I will be using this software to be taking pictures of more stones, finished jewelry, and of course, diamonds. We will probably drop another grand or two into even more lighting so that we can drop the f-stop another notch or two for even more depth of field.

When we have it right we will be offering this as a service to other jewelers who do not want to drop ten - twelve grand into equipment for taking their own photos. Each of these is composed of thirty seven individual photos shot on a moving platform in video and then captured and blended to look like they are smooth video when spinning. The are a little large for slow hookups, about 200k each, but for those who are on cable or DSL they are pretty cool.

Oh, if you left click and hold you can then drag the stone back and forth at the speed that you want, or stop it altogether.

Wink

P.S. My thanks to Leonid for making the effort necessary to let this show, it is obviously more difficult than posting a simple Jpeg.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's very cool!!!!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Josh,

We finally got the technical glitches solved, there will be more of these for you to look at at my website, and Richard is sending a whole batch of stones for me to shoot so we will have even more in a couple of weeks. Come visit! Only a couple up tonight, but I will put more on.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results