shape
carat
color
clarity

Tentative date a little risque... thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GettingDesperate905

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey all!
So although I dont have a ring yet (sigh), we have been talking about it for months, and we have set our minds upon a date.
December 21st, 2012.
We both have kind of twisted sense of humor, and I am a total mythology/science/history dweeb, so it is kind of fitting to do it on the infamous "2012". however, the people I have discussed this with are all so turned off by that date, and i''m really starting to question if maybe we chose it for the wrong reasons.
Is it ok to get married on an infamous "bad" day?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s hilarious and I would totally party it up at your wedding!

But then, I have an odd sense of humour, too.

GettingDesperate905

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for that! I''ve mentioned it to my mother and she was horrified, but we have really enjoyed justifying it to all who ask. we have a three tier reason.
1) the truly crazy, "end of the world is coming" types will rsvp "no" to hide in their storm cellars
2) if it truly is the end of the world, we''re surrounded with family and friends
3) there must be reduced rates on venues and vendors for the appocalypse

turboflgrl

Shiny_Rock
I think that''s hilarious! Although you have to really think about it because there are some out there that truly 110% believe that it will be the end of life as we know it. They may choose to stay home with family "just in case" and not come to your wedding. Is that something that you''re prepared for/care about in the long run?

ChocolateLover

Rough_Rock
I think that''s a great day to have a wedding! Its amusing & I love your 3 justifications. Go for it, those who disagree will get over it soon enough.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I love this idea! But I also agree with turboflgirl that some people may not come so that they can stay with their families. If that''s not an issue for you, then I would definitely go for it!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I love it! This is exactly what I''d want to be doing when the world ends.
36.gif

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely LOVE it!

It's more of a comical "bad" day than a seriously bad day. One of the venues I was considering had its only openings on Friday, August 13th or September 11th. I just couldn't do it!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 10:38:54 PM
Author: GettingDesperate905
Thanks for that! I''ve mentioned it to my mother and she was horrified, but we have really enjoyed justifying it to all who ask. we have a three tier reason.
1) the truly crazy, ''end of the world is coming'' types will rsvp ''no'' to hide in their storm cellars
2) if it truly is the end of the world, we''re surrounded with family and friends
I love these three reasons...I say go for it!

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Erm... I don't know. Not because of the "apocalypse" or what have you, but because the date is close to Christmas. If you have people who will need to travel to your wedding, they may not be able to attend with dates so close to a major holiday, either because it's not convenient or because of budget restraints (obviously flying near Christmas isn't cheap). Just something to think about.

ETA: The more I think about it, the more I'd be turned off to going to a wedding so close to Christmas. Every year I have 1,000,000 things to do last minute especially if I'm hosting. I probably wouldn't want to travel, buy more gifts, something to wear etc. SO close to the holidays. If your family doesn't celebrate Christmas but some of your close friends do it could be disappointing.

KatM

Shiny_Rock
^^ I agree. I love the idea though, it sounds like a good time.

ChocolateLover

Rough_Rock
I also agree about the close to Christmas thing, but - it really depends what you want. If its a small wedding, with only close family and friends maybe that would work well? (Like they''d all be in town anyway). But if its a larger wedding, it''d be hard to expect people to leave their family commitments that time of year.

Another consideration depending on the venue you want, is that many places will be booked for Christmas parties & will be extra expensive that time of year.

But, I still think its a great idea!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 12:44:11 AM
Author: turboflgrl
I think that's hilarious! Although you have to really think about it because there are some out there that truly 110% believe that it will be the end of life as we know it. They may choose to stay home with family 'just in case' and not come to your wedding. Is that something that you're prepared for/care about in the long run?
I agree. There will be those people who just MUST do something else.

The "end of the world" has come and gone many times. Lots of people believe this is another in a chain of supposed "ends of the world" and nothing more, but there are plenty of people who are worried about it.

I, for one, am using it as an excuse for a big blowout family vacation over the holidays -not because I genuinely think the world is ending, but it's fun to pretend sometimes
2.gif
- that we've been planning for a couple of years now. So unless you were a close friend or family member, I would decline the invitation.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 12:39:03 PM
Author: sunnyd
I love it! This is exactly what I''d want to be doing when the world ends.
36.gif
Same here! Just be sure to sneak off to your honeymoon suite before everything goes kablooie!
31.gif

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
This topic made me giggle.

I would LOVE to get married on apocalypse night!
36.gif
I think you should do a countdown to the end of the world at midnight.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Well, spending your last day alive getting married is a pretty good way to go
2.gif

Go for it, it sounds fun!

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
Haha sounds like an awesome reason to get married that day. I love your 3 reasons! The only bad thing is a lot of people can''t do weddings around Christmas.. depending on the job, you''re asking people to use their holiday vacation time for your wedding instead of their holiday.. But then some people don''t mind! The ones who want to be there, will be!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Hahah I love it! Some PP''s made a good point about it being close to Christmas, so keep in mind that may affect your attendance, but I absolutely LOVE the idea of the date! I have a twisted sense of humor like that too. Actually, too bad I''m already married, because I can think of so many funny themed things I would do hahah!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
ha-ha, go for it!!!

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I know I tend to be "in the world but not of it" but I really don''t know what this is all about.
When is the world supposed to end and who made the decision?
I would hate to miss it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you Mayan? If so, then perhaps I would pick another date.
If not, sounds good to me!

I do agree that it''s a bit close to Christmas, though. That would be the biggest consideration, in my mind.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I think the whole apocalyptical theme of the wedding would be hilarious. As far as the practicality of the date, I think it would depend on whether on how many out-of-towner guests you would like to have. If there''s a decent chunk on the list (and they wouldn''t be coming back to the area for Christmas otherwise) then I doubt you''d get many of them attending. I suspect that the only people who would attend your wedding are those who are local or would be in town for Christmas anyway. Depending on what your guest list looks like, you can decide if it''s worth it to you.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 10:38:54 PM
Author: GettingDesperate905

1) the truly crazy, ''end of the world is coming'' types will rsvp ''no'' to hide in their storm cellars

HA! Reason 3 is my favorite! I love the reasons and would totally get married on a date like that. In fact, I picked my wedding date (7-11) because I thought it was funny and because we could take our picture for the Save The Date postcards in front of the 7-11 sign! My only concern would be the proximity to Christmas. Although if it''s the apocalypse then I guess the proximity to Christmas won''t be an issue!
3.gif

But wow, so people really think the world is going to end then? For some reason it never crossed my mind that semi-normal people would actually think that until I read the posts here saying that people might stay home with their families "just in case!"
23.gif

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 7:40:01 PM
Author: MissMina

When is the world supposed to end and who made the decision?

I would hate to miss it.

*snort*
3.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
LOL, this is a funny thread!

Get married whenever you like, there will always be naysayers.

I personally dislike weddings on holidays or very close to them, esp. X-mas, because it is the only time I go ''home'', but I just went to a wedding on New Years Eve (FI''s fraternity brother) and no one else seemed bothered and it was truly a spectacular time. I was happy about the date, but I was there, and honestly, if you can''t be happy at a wedding, you probably can''t be happy much of anywhere!

The only thing you may want to consider is the timing of the wedding... if the world ends at midnight or something, you want to have time to, er, make it official, before we all die...
3.gif

27.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first thought was of the Jimmy Buffet song (Fruitcakes album, 1994) "Apocalypso." Google it, you will LYAO. If you get married on that date you will have to make a point of having that song played at your reception!
9.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I''m just thinking that whether people want to admit it or not, many may be a little tense that day. Not sure that''s the best emotional climate for your wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results