shape
carat
color
clarity

tension setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrlink

Rough_Rock
I will be in the market for a ring soon. I have been lurking here for a short time and am learning tons! It''s really great.

I would like to purchase a loose stone and have it set in a tension setting. I am looking for .7ct to 1.0ct.

Could you share some advice on this type of setting...in particular; how does the girdle affect this type of setting?

Is this setting a good setting to highlight the stone?

Thanks for your advice!

Matt

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The possibility of tension setting depends on the type of inclusions and locations (as a guideline, not less than SI 1), feathers on or along the girdle edge would not be a good idea and the girdle thickness has to be thick enough to handle the stress (so I would consider especially medium and slightly thick).
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes also we are working with a tension company for my fiance's wedding ring and they want to see the certificate of the stone before we buy the stone so that they can be sure it will work fine for the tension setting. We are sticking with VS and no feathers along the girdle.
1.gif

mrlink

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Is there a range of girdle measurments that would work better than others?

Is the clarity more important in a tension setting, as you mentioned you were going with VS...I was just wondering.

Any pointers to companies that have quality tension settings?

Thanks for all your help!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Gelin & Abaci, Niesseing and Steve Kreatchmer are very widely reknown.
1.gif

mrlink

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I believe Pur in Europe is another.

I think Amethyste who occasionally posts here has one and uses it as her avatar.

wn

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I gathered, not all SI's are going to be tension worthy material. The stone that we are looking at is small (.30c) so the difference in price between SI and VS is very minimal ($100 or so). So in this instance, I just decided to make it easier on myself and the tension company by going VS or higher (am even considering a VVS if you can believe it, it's got great #s).

But if it was a large e-ring stone and VS vs SI meant the difference of around $1k or similar, then I would do more research to find out about which SI's would be workable for tension.

First thing for you is to find out which setting you'd like and/or which company you'd like to use for a custom job. Then get their requirements. They may want you to fax over the cert. Then choose your stone, with their guidelines and assistance/expertise. You would not want to choose the stone first with your heart set on tension and then realize that the stone you chose is not workable for that type of setting.

Good luck
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results