shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension Set Men's Diamond Ring

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
So, I am thinking we need a thread on Tension Set rings for men, there is not much out there about this. I will start if anyone is interested.

This is my new revised version. I originally post this ring when I first got it made. I loved the look of the brushed titanium and the diamond together, strong meets strong. But after a while, someone close to me mentioned it looked cool but a little thin. I realized he was right. I asked the maker if he could redo the same exact ring and double up on the thickness and fortunately he did it with no extra charge except shipping. I have to say I am happy I did this. Not only dose it look better, it feels better.

Most men don't wear diamonds or even jewelery for that mater so this is trickier to navigate. There are quite a few tension sets for women out there and I didn't want it to look like I was wearing a woman's ring. I also considered going with white gold or platinum but ultimately I settled on Titanium, partially for price but mainly for look and strength. Gold is too weak to hold a true tension set into place. Titanium is several times stronger then gold, platinum and steel, so hopefully no lost stone.

So my 2 cents on the subject is go with thicker for a mans ring especially for a tension set and stick to a more modern metal or a brushed finish. The new version is on the top, the original version is posted just below. Subtle changes make a big difference.

Thanks to everyone on this board who has helped me through this process. Not too many men wear diamonds but I think things are slowly changing. So thanks for those of you who do.

New Version
tension_set_mens_diamond_ring.jpg

Original Version

tension_ring_02.jpg

silvar-surfer

Rough_Rock
nice pictures. Could you take one on your man hands? :twirl:

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
silvar-surfer|1385650589|3564479 said:
nice pictures. Could you take one on your man hands? :twirl:

+1

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
Sure, here is a hand pic, sorry, I got big fingers, not a model.

tension_settting_mens_ring.jpg

Reactions: AV_

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
hmmmm

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I am not a photographer, I took that with my iPad. Better quality then a phone, but not better then a real camera.

zz00ter

Rough_Rock
When did men start wearing diamond rings?
Did I miss something or am I just too old?

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
zz00ter|1385766479|3564917 said:

Forever... and why does it matter if men wear rings or not? Everyone should wear whatever the hell they want to.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have been infatuated with diamonds for a long time- loved my mums earrings.

I have been wearing diamonds in a ring for a few years, and diamond earrings for even longer time. I always wanted a solitaire but could not find design. Finally found PS n THE Diamond solitaire ring I wanted. Woohoo!!

No stopping now!!!!

Kenny's Octavia! Hmmmmmm :Up_to_something:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Perhaps you have limited exposure.
Men vary.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Craig- the change looks great!
I forget the specs on the diamond? What are they?

zz00ter

Rough_Rock
kenny|1385769753|3564943 said:
Men vary.

Yes everyone has the right to do whatever they want.
I have known a lot of men and have a lot of friends and not a single one wears a diamond ring.

Maybe my friends, colleagues in the corporate space and I are not metrosexual enough up here in Canada

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
zz00ter|1385770786|3564949 said:
Men vary.

I have known a lot of men and have a lot of friends and not a single one wears a diamond ring.

Maybe my friends, colleagues in the corporate space and I are not metrosexual enough up here in Canada

I have no idea what a metrosexual is ... and you not knowing a man who wears a diamond says nothing about you or men who wear diamonds.

BTW, I don't need a vagina to see and appreciate how beautiful and exciting it is to sport a well-cut diamond 24/7.

If you are a man and think diamonds are only for women ... don't wear one.
I totally respect your right to your opinion ... but it applies only to you.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

And your condescension just keeps on keeping on. Please continue insulting the men who frequent this forum and enjoy their diamond hobby because they are different than you and your social and professional circle.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My professional NY accountant husband proudly wears his titanium tension diamond ring everyday. My beard sporting diamond wearing man.

panda_ring.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalo lover- your hubby's tension looks great!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1385773266|3564969 said:
Asscherhalo lover- your hubby's tension looks great!

Thanks so much! It took awhile to find the right diamond ring for him but once we did it's never come off!

His diamond is from BGD. AGS 0 I color and VS2. I think it's right above .40cts.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

its not a "new" fad. You can find art deco men diamond rings, or 80s mens diamond rings, or 2000s...... Im sure there are victorian ones...

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Craghnt- Your ring is kick-ass! I love it and do see the difference in the setting. Great choice, imo.

Kenny- All of your tension set rings are in my PS top ten favorites. I would love to own each and every one. I covet them :Up_to_something:

gregc- You have a great ring, and when that eternity is done, major drool! Very excited for you!

Asscherhalo- Great ring on the hubby! I may have to insist my DH gets one, or just surprise him. He wears a wedding band with a small bar set diamond. I have DSS for him ;))

As far as men wearing diamond rings, my dad, now 80, wore a diamond ring with a .25ct diamond. Most of his friends had rings, too.
He was blue-collar, body builder, union steward tough guy. This was in the 1960s-1980s. I love jewelry on men.

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
Men vary.

Thanks, now I feel awkward for waring a diamond. :(sad

You could have said the same thing about wedding bands on men. Back before WWII most married men did not wear wedding bans, only the woman. Maybe less then 15 percent. It was considered too feminine. And the wedding band on the woman was a symbol of ownership.

At the risk of sounding snarky, maybe your small circle of friends are not in the same category as successful men that do wear diamond. Ever hear of Diamond Jim Brady 1856- 1917? Certainly NOT a metro-sexual yet one of the wealthiest men in history, his personal diamond collection was worth an adjusted amount by today standards of 60,000,000.
http://www.edwardnjackson.com/Diamond_Jim_Brady.html

Most kings, and other men throughout history sported not just diamonds but rubies, sapphires and a whole host of gems. Ever hear of the Crown Jewels? These were not made for the queen. They were originally made for the King and his sons. Google King Charles II 1660.

Here is an Art Nouveau Mens Diamond ring form around 1908 Russia. I don't think Metro-sexuals would describe men of that country.
http://www.romanovrussia.com/Art_Nouveau_Antique_Russian_Diamond_Mens_Ring.html

Maybe you should see what an expert says
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goSxhm9AYNc

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Craig,

Do you like the diamond ring that YOU have made for yourself?

THAT is all that matters. As Kenny pointed out, ppl vary.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with men wearing tasteful diamond jewellery in my book, as long as they do not resemble a flashy rapper!

And I like the rings of Craig and Kenny. :love:

DK :))

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
gregchang35|1385903405|3565551 said:
Craig,

Do you like the diamond ring that YOU have made for yourself?

THAT is all that matters. As Kenny pointed out, ppl vary.

Yes, I am happy with my ring and the meaning behind it. It's just odd, I figured the first stone would be from another guy but I stand corrected. :confused:

The other post was just self righteous and adamant based on limited world view or expose to various types of people. While I never thought about a diamond ring when I was younger, I remember an occasional uncle or other male figures sport a gold diamond ring or sometimes a ruby. These were not city men. These were guys that went to war, worked as carpenters, pretty blue collar actually. A friend of mine actually inherited his fathers diamond ring from the 40s with an art deco look. It's all he has to remember his father by.

How could you have never come across anyone like that unless you live in some really small bubble...which the poster claims they do not.

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
dk168|1385905657|3565558 said:
Nothing wrong with men wearing tasteful diamond jewellery in my book, as long as they do not resemble a flashy rapper!

And I like the rings of Craig and Kenny. :love:

DK :))

Thank you for that, and I know what you mean about the flashy rapper style. What's up with that? It's all over the internet. It's so over the top it dose not look real. Can the fad die soon please. LOL Then again, maybe it will open up the doors for more tasteful rings to be worn by non rapper men and feel comfortable with it.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi Craig,
The most important thing is that u enjoy it. Others may or may not like your (dare I say it) lifestyle choices. Fortunately, it is their opinion and not yours. Yes, there may be something niggling in the back of your mind about your diamond ring and guess what- it is at the back of your mind. What is front and centre is that YOU like it.

It would be nice to get confirmation of what is front and centre and for the majority on this thread - they agree. One poster has said the their experience of diamond ring wearing males is non existent. She is expressing her experience and opinions as you are yours. That is ok.

You also expressed that the rapper style is not your style- that is ok, too

As Kenny pointed out- diamonds are for EVERYONE and ANYONE to enjoy. If they don't- that is ok, too.

For what it's worth, I too wanted to receive a diamond. Fortunately, I got to choose the diamond and ring I wanted. And it looks like you did, too :appl:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
craighnt - Great choice! I remember your other thread and it is nice to see your beautiful new ring. Thanks for sharing, and Asscherhalo_lover too.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
I love tension settings i think this is going to be a fantastic thread

ryanu

Rough_Rock
Anyone else have any to share? Let's bring this back! Thinking of getting one myself

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results