shape
carat
color
clarity

tennis bracelet guidance

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I lurk here periodically and actually bought some fabulous ACA studs (not totally relevant, but 1.8ct H) from whiteflash with your guidance last year. I am back in search for a tennis bracelet. Again with your insight, I have reached out to IDJ to help me with a custom piece.

For now, I'm curious to hear your opinions on what to get.

I am looking for a bracelet to wear ALL of the time, except for maybe the beach.

I'm fairly petite. 5'5 slender with a 6 inch wrist. I am mid 30s with two youngish children (old enough to know not to pull on jewelry).

I have a professional job that requires that I dress nicely, but I also spend a lot of time in kid activities. I wear a watch regularly and so the bracelet will be worn with my watch. I want something that will pack a punch for a night out, but won't look out of place if I wear to the gym or to a football game.

If you were me, would you lean toward 4ct or 5ct to achieve my goal? I love diamonds as much as the rest of you, but I don't want to look too ostentatious.

Also, I will be wearing on my left hand. Would a 5ct outshine my 2.5ct cushion cut E ring? Will F color stones make my G colored ring look darker?

Thanks in advance!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm saving up for a Whiteflash ACA bracelet. Have you seen those?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The two hand-assembled bracelets on the bottom are from @Wink
They have the safety of 4 prongs but the look of 3 prongs so that the outline of the diamonds is easily seen. They were custom made to 6.5 inches.
The bracelet on top was bought locally and is 6.5 ctw for comparison. I think 4 - 5 ctw is perfect for everyday wear.
p.s. I am 5'4" and was slender in my younger years (110 lbs) but no longer.
:lol-2:

sm fire IMG_7722.jpg

Bracelet three-prong-10x.jpg

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
Whitewave, what draws you to those over some others?

Cflutist, you have quite the collection, those are gorgeous!
So the top one is 6.5 ct? If you had to chose 4 or 5, for every day would you lean toward 4 or 5?
Thanks!

littleweight

Rough_Rock
I’m nearing a deal with IDJ for a 5.85. As it’s ps quality and not aca from WF I’m very happy with price and service from IDJ. Hoping to pull the trigger today, I would love one from WF but I can’t see myself paying more for less ctw (I know stones are amazing)

One thing I’ve tried to do with IDJ is get a lower diamond count amount in the bracelet as that means each stone is bigger. Thoughts on this approach are appreciated!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So the top one is 6.5 ct? If you had to chose 4 or 5, for every day would you lean toward 4 or 5?
Thanks!

Once you see the difference in cut between an ideal and a superideal diamond (such as the colored fire it throws) you can't unsee it. For me, personally, I'm to the point in my life where I want what I want and diamonds make me happy. If I'm going to wear it everyday, and it is going to be in my line of sight, I want to see those colored flashes.

I would absolutely go with High Performance Diamonds as well... Either them or the Whiteflash A Cut Above tennis bracelet.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m nearing a deal with IDJ for a 5.85. As it’s ps quality and not aca from WF I’m very happy with price and service from IDJ. Hoping to pull the trigger today, I would love one from WF but I can’t see myself paying more for less ctw (I know stones are amazing)

One thing I’ve tried to do with IDJ is get a lower diamond count amount in the bracelet as that means each stone is bigger. Thoughts on this approach are appreciated!
I got mine from IDJ and it sparkles like mad! Like you, I was ok with not having super ideal diamonds for my bracelet and am very happy with what I ended up with :geek2:

I didn’t ask about number of diamonds; I just figured out the point size I liked the look of and he figured out how many stones I’d need. It’s hard to advise on what’s good for “everyday wear” as that opinion differs. I’d suggest trying on several bracelets and deciding what you feel comfortable with. Be sure to look at your reflection from a distance too (perspective shot) and not just up close on your wrist.

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case it helps, here’s a quick video I just shot of mine showing the close-up sparkle/whiteness and how it looks from a distance. This was sitting on my couch, so all unfiltered light. You should see it under spotlights :appl:

littleweight

Rough_Rock
Beautiful bracelet. How big are the stones if you don’t mind?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad it helped.

WF and HPD make great bracelets... their ACA and CBI Diamonds (respectively) are outstanding. They’re just quite a bit more expensive because they’re the best of the best. Some people are willing to pay for it, some aren’t. I’d love to have an ACA or CBI stone at some point but I decided my bracelet didn’t need top quality.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks!
Rather than total weight I would choose the size of the diamond and then have the bracelet made to your correct 6-in length. I think .15s are nice with some presence but not overly blingy. Mine are .17s, .20s (FIY) and .33s. I have worn the .33s daily since 2004 and added the fancy intense yellows in 2014.

Look at the white bracelet for the quality of the stones (not the CBI diamond)

Last edited:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad it helped.

WF and HPD make great bracelets... their ACA and CBI Diamonds (respectively) are outstanding. They’re just quite a bit more expensive because they’re the best of the best. Some people are willing to pay for it, some aren’t. I’d love to have an ACA or CBI stone at some point but I decided my bracelet didn’t need top quality.

While you can have a bracelet made with CBI stones, @Wink has access to their HPD Luxe melee H&A stones, I just don't know how large they go. I think @Winks_Elf would know the answer.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rather than total weight I would choose the size of the diamond and then have the bracelet made to your correct 6-in length. I think .15s are nice with some presence but not overly blingy. Mine are .17s, .20s (FIY) and .33s. I have worn the .33s daily since 2004 and added the fancy intense yellows in 2014.

Look at the white bracelet for the quality of the stones (not the CBI diamond)

The white one is the .33, correct? Wowzers... that size really has some presence!!! :geek2:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I’ve also ordered a 3 prong tennis bracelet from IDJ and I’m excitedly waiting for tracking and delivery details all the way to Australia! It was a bit nerve wracking ordering, sight unseen, but based on all the information and great feedback I’ve read I felt confident to order online. I wanted something around the 5ctw mark and each diamonds around 10 points, as my wrist is quite slim and I’ve ended up with 4.95 ctw, 45 X11 points, PSQ Stones, bracelet is 6.5 inches long. I know it may detract from the look of the bracelet, but I’ve asked for a safety chain to be added, I’ve also got 2 young kids so just wanted a bit of extra precaution so I don’t loose it. If it bothers me later, I’ll get the chain removed.

How exciting for you @Sparklemom I hope you find what you’re looking for.
I’m counting down the days, I have no idea how long it will take to ship to Australia, I’ll post a photo when I receive it.

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to know if anyone is keen to share ball park pricing on their recent bracelet purchases?

I am thinking of buying one from IDJ so would be good to get an indication of price expectation.

Thanks and sorry if this is a rude question so feel free not to answer :)

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to know if anyone is keen to share ball park pricing on their recent bracelet purchases?

I am thinking of buying one from IDJ so would be good to get an indication of price expectation.

For stock pieces, their prices are listed right on their website. www.idjewelry.com

KirstLWA

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Great, thanks!

Do you know if they negotiate prices on their stock pieces?

I'm not from the US so I don't know if it is offensive to try and negotiate pricing on things.

Actually, in general, is it ok to try and negotiate a better price for any sort of items in the US? IE designer shoes and handbags? :lol::lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KirstLWA Always attempt to negotiate stock prices at jewelry stores. I don't think there's a way to negotiate at vendors like Blue Nile or James Allen, but those that are individually owned full service jewelry stores, it never hurts to ask!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If you take a look at the IDJ website, they do list prices which will give you a bit of an idea, as long as you are not going the custom route. You will need to add shipping costs and insurance if buying from another country other than USA, mine was an extra $100US for shipping/ insurance to Australia, Then add on a bit extra for PSQ stones if that’s the way you want to go,
Put it this way, I priced similar bracelets here in Australia and I’m saving $1000’s AU. Haha...that will go towards another bling project in the near future :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 4 ct bracelet with 10 point stones that is too much for me to wear daily, but that's because I was a teacher and that just didn't work in that environment. I really only wear mine on special occasions. Mine are good quality stones but purchased pre-Pricescope. If I were doing it now and buying larger stones, I'd go with Whiteflash.

This is the 4 ct, 10 pointer bracelet from a long time ago! Not the best pic..
1.44HVS21sm.JPG

Here is a WF 6 ct bracelet (15 pointers)
WFbracelet15pts.6ctw.jpg

m-2-b's 7.8 ct WF bracelet with 20 pointers. Sadly, I tried this one on and didn't think it was too big for me!
WF.7.8ctwith20pointers.m2b.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 4 ct bracelet with 10 point stones that is too much for me to wear daily, but that's because I was a teacher and that just didn't work in that environment. I really only wear mine on special occasions. Mine are good quality stones but purchased pre-Pricescope. If I were doing it now and buying larger stones, I'd go with Whiteflash.

1.44HVS21sm.JPG

WFbracelet15pts.6ctw.jpg

m-2-b's 7.8 ct WF bracelet with 20 pointers. Sadly, I tried this one on and didn't think it was too big for me!
I would pick Whiteflash over IDJ as well. Someone posted that their clasp from IDJ broke relatively quickly but I can't remember who that was. Perhaps @diamondseeker2006 might remember.

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I’ve also ordered a 3 prong tennis bracelet from IDJ and I’m excitedly waiting for tracking and delivery details all the way to Australia! It was a bit nerve wracking ordering, sight unseen, but based on all the information and great feedback I’ve read I felt confident to order online. I wanted something around the 5ctw mark and each diamonds around 10 points, as my wrist is quite slim and I’ve ended up with 4.95 ctw, 45 X11 points, PSQ Stones, bracelet is 6.5 inches long. I know it may detract from the look of the bracelet, but I’ve asked for a safety chain to be added, I’ve also got 2 young kids so just wanted a bit of extra precaution so I don’t loose it. If it bothers me later, I’ll get the chain removed.

How exciting for you @Sparklemom I hope you find what you’re looking for.
I’m counting down the days, I have no idea how long it will take to ship to Australia, I’ll post a photo when I receive it.

Wow, that is so exciting! And it sounds like our interests are so similar. Can I ask what size your wrist is and how you decided on 6.5 inches? I'm trying to decide between 6.5 and 6.75 inches too.

I would love to see a picture of yours bracelet when you receive it!

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock

1.44HVS21sm.JPG

WFbracelet15pts.6ctw.jpg

Those are all incredible. I am a little confused about the point stones. They told me that a 4ct would be 7pt and a 5 ct would be 9pt. That seems different from your numbers for the 4 ct, which actually looks pretty big to me! Can you help me understand this a bit more?

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
I would pick Whiteflash over IDJ as well. Someone posted that their clasp from IDJ broke relatively quickly but I can't remember who that was. Perhaps @diamondseeker2006 might remember.

Hmm, does WF have a regular 4 prong setting? I only saw the 3 prong and the X prong?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

Also, I will be wearing on my left hand. Would a 5ct outshine my 2.5ct cushion cut E ring? Will F color stones make my G colored ring look darker?

Thanks in advance!
Go for it!..a perfect match!..:clap:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just don't remember, Cheryl, but that is very possible. I get why people make that choice, but after you have seen a WF ACA bracelet or a CBI one, as whitewave said, it's hard to go backward. I have what I'd consider equal to IDJ quality, and really, at 10 points I don't think you can tell all all that much difference as long as the stones are excellent cut. But the larger the stones, the more easily you can see the difference. I've never regretted high quality after the fact, but I have regretted past purchases pre-PS that weren't all that great quality. But everyone has to find their own comfort zone.

WF can order a 4 prong bracelet, which is what I'd want, also.

My wrist is 6" and my bracelets are all the standard 7".

Sparklemom

Rough_Rock
I got mine from IDJ and it sparkles like mad! Like you, I was ok with not having super ideal diamonds for my bracelet and am very happy with what I ended up with :geek2:

I didn’t ask about number of diamonds; I just figured out the point size I liked the look of and he figured out how many stones I’d need. It’s hard to advise on what’s good for “everyday wear” as that opinion differs. I’d suggest trying on several bracelets and deciding what you feel comfortable with. Be sure to look at your reflection from a distance too (perspective shot) and not just up close on your wrist.
Thank you! Can I ask what you ended up selecting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results