shape
carat
color
clarity

Tennis bracelet for 0.44ct stones - how many more & style?

3-prong or 4-prong?

• 3-prong

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • 4-prong

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet another tennis bracelet thread! lol

So I have ten 44pt stones E colour VS clarity. I'm thinking of adding new stones to make into a full tennis bracelet of 6 1/4 inches long. How many more of the 44pt stones do I need? and what style? I'd like it to be as flat / to lie low and as comfortable as possible, yet at the same time I'd like to maximise the sparkles (but of course!:cheeky:) and minimise the metal. Do I want 3-prong or 4-prong and is there any particular style you'd recommend?

Also, white gold or platinum?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet another tennis bracelet thread! lol

So I have ten 44pt stones E colour VS clarity. I'm thinking of adding new stones to make into a full tennis bracelet of 6 1/4 inches long. How many more of the 44pt stones do I need? and what style? I'd like it to be as flat / to lie low and as comfortable as possible, yet at the same time I'd like to maximise the sparkles (but of course!:cheeky:) and minimise the metal. Do I want 3-prong or 4-prong and is there any particular style you'd recommend?

Also, white gold or platinum?
I like the current 3 prongs I have from IDJ bc it is more scalloped in shows off the round mrb shape. If you go for a 4 prong I'd suggest one like LLJSMom which pinches in to look for scalloped as well, as opposed to square/faux princess-ish.

With regard to your 10 44 pointers the setting dictates how many stones you need. Once you're set on the setting, then the can let you know how many links and diamonds are needed to achieve the desired length.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd prefer the 3 prong style. My dear Phoenix since money is no object to you I'd go PT...:mrgreen:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just did a quick calculation (though I've converted between inches and cm so might not be exact!) and came up with 32 stones if laid out end to end. I guess the setting will reduce that slightly?

If it were me I'd go 4 prong and white gold (platinum might add to the weight!).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just did a quick calculation (though I've converted between inches and cm so might not be exact!) and came up with 32 stones if laid out end to end. I guess the setting will reduce that slightly?

If it were me I'd go 4 prong and white gold (platinum might add to the weight!).
Thanks for that. I doubt though it'd be 32 stones, that sounds like a lot! Lol

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want 6.5", I'd say about 20. The way they're set generally leaves a gap between each diamond somewhere in the vicinity of 1/2 - 2/3 the width of the preceding stone. Given that, you'd need roughly 20. But you know enough about diamonds to know you can't work this out until you find what style and what gap your jeweler uses.

But having said that - roughly 20. And, for that kind of money, I'm sure a jeweler would be happy to knock up a few cads so you can work out your style of preferred setting.

.44's are good sized stones and 9ctw is a lot of wattage. Forgive me since you've asked about tennis bracelets - but surely someone could come up with a design more beautiful than just laying a lot of stones end to end? It's a good way to show a lot of ctw, but for that money - and with nice quality stones - a little investigation into design could be worthwhile and give you something unique.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want 6.5", I'd say about 20. The way they're set generally leaves a gap between each diamond somewhere in the vicinity of 1/2 - 2/3 the width of the preceding stone. Given that, you'd need roughly 20. But you know enough about diamonds to know you can't work this out until you find what style and what gap your jeweler uses.

But having said that - roughly 20. And, for that kind of money, I'm sure a jeweler would be happy to knock up a few cads so you can work out your style of preferred setting.

.44's are good sized stones and 9ctw is a lot of wattage. Forgive me since you've asked about tennis bracelets - but surely someone could come up with a design more beautiful than just laying a lot of stones end to end? It's a good way to show a lot of ctw, but for that money - and with nice quality stones - a little investigation into design could be worthwhile and give you something unique.

Thank you so much, mrs b. Actually, it should be 6.25 (not 6.50) inches.

20 stones in total you mean, not additional? 20 * 44 = 8.8ctw. That seems feasible and is in line with my rough calculation.

An excellent point, but the 10 stones came from an elaborate bracelet and I wasn't that enamoured with it, tbh. I've been after a larger, more blingy tennis bracelet for a few years But def a good point!:)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. 20 in total. Gives, as you say, 8.8ct - roughly 9ctw.

I think there are designs in between a line of diamonds and 'elaborate'. To explain....

I ran into a woman a couple of years ago very involved and well known on PS as being a fairly heavy hitter. When we met, she had a tennis bracelet on - quite large. She had hoop diamond earrings. She had an eternity band. She had a DBTY necklace. All up, she was probably wearing around 20+ctw - and it all look Exactly. The. Same. It didn't look elegant and understated - it didn't even look luxurious. To my eye it looked uninspired. In other words - after a point there has to be some greater commitment to beauty in jewelry than just lining every single diamond neatly in a row.

This is not to say I dislike tennis bracelets - I think they're great! Mostly I love the slender, casual-elegace, ones, or the uber-huge ones. But you have an opportunity here, and, as the woman with the VCA bangles and rings, I set a higher bar for you. There are worse things in life than having people expect exceptional jewelry from you. :)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. 20 in total. Gives, as you say, 8.8ct - roughly 9ctw.

I think there are designs in between a line of diamonds and 'elaborate'. To explain....

I ran into a woman a couple of years ago very involved and well known on PS as being a fairly heavy hitter. When we met, she had a tennis bracelet on - quite large. She had hoop diamond earrings. She had an eternity band. She had a DBTY necklace. All up, she was probably wearing around 20+ctw - and it all look Exactly. The. Same. It didn't look elegant and understated - it didn't even look luxurious. To my eye it looked uninspired. In other words - after a point there has to be some greater commitment to beauty in jewelry than just lining every single diamond neatly in a row.

This is not to say I dislike tennis bracelets - I think they're great! Mostly I love the slender, casual-elegace, ones, or the uber-huge ones. But you have an opportunity here, and, as the woman with the VCA bangles and rings, I set a higher bar for you. There are worse things in life than having people expect exceptional jewelry from you. :)

Hahaha!! Too funny!!:lol:

I do LOVE VCA and Cartier. I'm still set on getting an Alhambra pave Vintage bracelet, but I do also like tennis bracelets. I'm a bracelet girl, there's no such thing as having too many bracelets!! lol

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic 4 prong for stones that large!.Not the type that looks square. If prongs are done well, the stones should still look round! I like 3 prong if stones are set close together. It does depend on the setting, but all you have to do is convert your total length into mm and divide by the mm diameter of one of your stones to find out the maximum number if they were almost touching.

Platinum, definitely, for a significant bracelet like that. M2b's WF bracelet is platinum and I love it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...perspective-shots-of-tennis-bracelets.205194/

HI Phoenix, you probably already saw my thread about this but I refer to it for style of setting for you. I do think that the number of stones you need will depend on the style of the setting. Do you want the whole bracelet to look more like a straight line or do you want to see the roundness of each stone separately?

I prefer to see the roundness of each stone separately, especially in your case with such significantly sized stones. So I would definitely go four prong. I am normally a platinum girl, but I would consider 14k white because I wonder if platinum might not be a lot of weight for you, especially if you are planning to stack.

No offense mrs-b, I consider a blingy, well constructed 44 pointer tennis bracelet EXCEPTIONAL. I guess everyone's opinion of exceptional differs. With stones that big and white, it has plenty of wattage and "look-at-me" factor. The simple, bold style of a significant tennis bracelet would also lend itself to be worn on a daily basis, or with more dressy outfits. And if you wear it with your more ornate VCA pieces, it doesn't compete because it is more straightforward. Yet it can hold its own simply by sheer size. If you already had this and wanted another bracelet in a different style, then I would consider a more elaborate piece. From what I can tell of your wardrobe, I think you lean towards classic silhouettes that are impeccably tailored to fit you well. I think this blingy tennis bracelet would fit right into your whole look.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a three prong in platinum with .13 each. The bracelet is 6.5 inches and has 40 or 42 stones...need to confirm. .im at the beach and it is in the city. 44 each should be about 4.9mm. Mine are 3.15 to 3.2mm (yes, I am anal). 30 to 33? That said, they will be hard to get. I have three of that size...
Looking for two more for a five stone!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Classic 4 prong for stones that large!.Not the type that looks square. If prongs are done well, the stones should still look round! I like 3 prong if stones are set close together. It does depend on the setting, but all you have to do is convert your total length into mm and divide by the mm diameter of one of your stones to find out the maximum number if they were almost touching.

Platinum, definitely, for a significant bracelet like that. M2b's WF bracelet is platinum and I love it!

DS, thank you for chiming in. I absolutely agree with everything you say!:). I think a lot of the 3-prong styles are set so far apart, that the sparkliness (is that even a word, it is now!:D) is lessened. I'd like a 3-prong, if the stones are set as close to each other as possible; or as you said, a 4-prong if I can find someone skilled who can make the bracelet/ or rather dainty enough prongs to accentuate the roundness of each stone and not make the bracelet look like a row of square boxes! Can you think of anyone suitable? LM comes to mind but his pricing and temperament put me off a little!

Another Q though: would 4-prong be set higher (off the skin of the wrist)? A lot of 4-prong bracelets I see IRL are quite high. I'd prefer something as flat as possible.

I too am more inclined to go towards Pt (love M2b's WF bracelet too btw). I have a lot of WG stuff, but they need re-plating regularly and I think over time the prongs rust and may even break off.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at LLJs thread she identifies the cast used to create the 4 prong look that accentuates the roundness. You could either have someone order that cast or something similar.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so the average diameter of my stones is 4.95mm. The total length of the bracelet should be 159mm. So, with NO metal, that'd be 32-33 stones. With metal, the number of stones should be 20-25 in total. I'm no jeweller, but that sounds about right to me , would just depend on the style of the bracelet.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.iceboxjewelry.com/170-00674
Google led me to this bracelet with 40 pointers and 36 stones. Don't know the length

Thanks, PB. I'd bet it'd be the "standard" length, ie. 7.5 "

I guesstimate the number of stones, based purely on the stones' measurements and length of wrist, without the metal, is 40. So 36 in total with metal makes sense.

Hmm...maybe I'll need 25 in total after all, lol.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just throwing something out in random here: The more I think about it, the more I prefer the look of a non-boxy 4-prong bracelet!:lickout::)

Something else in random, lol: I just measured my wrists again and at their skinniest, they're 12.5cm (I thought they were 13cm)!! That's a smidgen under 5"!! Hmmm, maybe I'll need a 6" bracelet...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom, thank you for posting your thread (and thank you too PB for bringing my attention to the relevant part).

I'm going through the pages on your thread now, LLJsmom. Wow, that's a lot of extremely helpful information. I'll revert once I've gone through the whole thread...am enjoying reading it again very much!:love::)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...perspective-shots-of-tennis-bracelets.205194/

HI Phoenix, you probably already saw my thread about this but I refer to it for style of setting for you. I do think that the number of stones you need will depend on the style of the setting. Do you want the whole bracelet to look more like a straight line or do you want to see the roundness of each stone separately?

I prefer to see the roundness of each stone separately, especially in your case with such significantly sized stones. So I would definitely go four prong. I am normally a platinum girl, but I would consider 14k white because I wonder if platinum might not be a lot of weight for you, especially if you are planning to stack.

No offense mrs-b, I consider a blingy, well constructed 44 pointer tennis bracelet EXCEPTIONAL. I guess everyone's opinion of exceptional differs. With stones that big and white, it has plenty of wattage and "look-at-me" factor. The simple, bold style of a significant tennis bracelet would also lend itself to be worn on a daily basis, or with more dressy outfits. And if you wear it with your more ornate VCA pieces, it doesn't compete because it is more straightforward. Yet it can hold its own simply by sheer size. If you already had this and wanted another bracelet in a different style, then I would consider a more elaborate piece. From what I can tell of your wardrobe, I think you lean towards classic silhouettes that are impeccably tailored to fit you well. I think this blingy tennis bracelet would fit right into your whole look.

Ok, I finally got through the whole thead, LLJsmom! What a pleasure it was to learn of your journey and to ogle all the gorgeous bracelets!!

Congrats on your selection. :love::love::love: How are you enjoying your bracelet? I do know now that I'm not partial to the 3-prong. Is there anything you'd do differently, if you were to do it all over again? Any word of advice?

You're too sweet, LLJsmom. I know Mrs B meant well though. I love different looks; and you're right, I do tend towards classic styles, but with a whimsical factor....VCA fits the bill perfectly...at the same time, I love love love my Cartier ceramic pave Love bracelet, it's edgy in a classy way. I think a 44pt tennis bracelet would fit me very nicely with my collection; and am not sure yet if I'd wear it alone or stacked - you are right, it could be worn either way!:appl:

I'm still undecided on which metal to go for, Pt or WG. I guess it'd depend on who's setting the bracelet, and which metal they'd be most comfortable working with. So the big Q now is: Who should I choose to do this bracelet for me??!!

I think after this and the Alhambra Vintage WG pave, there's only 1 more bracelet on my wish-list (blasphemous, I know, hehe): another Love pave!:love:

Last edited:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump for more input...:)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

None taken, LLJsmom. Taste is personal. I'm trying to pitch my response to Phoenix specifically, rather than to the piece of jewelry. There's all kinds of ways to come at this sort of thing and your opinion is every bit as valid as mine.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
by Phoenix » Sunday at 7:01 AM

You're too sweet, LLJsmom. I know Mrs B meant well though. I love different looks; and you're right, I do tend towards classic styles, but with a whimsical factor....VCA fits the bill perfectly...at the same time, I love love love my Cartier ceramic pave Love bracelet, it's edgy in a classy way. I think a 44pt tennis bracelet would fit me very nicely with my collection; and am not sure yet if I'd wear it alone or stacked - you are right, it could be worn either way!:appl:

Last edited: Sunday at 7:37 AM
Phoenix, Sunday at 7:01 AM

I have no idea how to use the new quote function. I managed it once and can't seem to do it a second time, so my apologies on the C&P.

I chuckled when I read your comment, Phoenix. I don't think, when it comes to jewelry, I mean well and I certainly never mean to be nasty. I would like to see you get something you love and I'll always throw my opinion in if asked. I think different tastes and perspectives are of use, and this is mine; to stand out as far from the crowd as you can, within the realms of good taste and classic style. When it comes to jewelry, there's more than one way to skin a cat. So to speak.

I think one can buy jewelry which speaks to ctw and the specs of the stone/s used. In my opinion - and it's MY opinion and doesn't have to be anyone else's - these sorts of designs tend to be stone-focussed and less detailed and they appeal to a lot of people. Or you can be looking for a jewel - an overall piece with a higher design quotient. My love lies there, as it does for many people also. There's no right or wrong with this. But when I see a woman who leans towards between-finger VCA pieces, I think 'jewel' not 'stones'. If on the other hand, you have plenty of that and want something more plain - then great! And if you can do both, my hat is off to you! Either way, I hope you end up with a fabulous new piece that you enjoy.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b if you click on "Reply" under the comment you want to quote, the quote will be captured.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
by Phoenix » Sunday at 7:01 AM

Last edited: Sunday at 7:37 AM
Phoenix, Sunday at 7:01 AM

I have no idea how to use the new quote function. I managed it once and can't seem to do it a second time, so my apologies on the C&P.

I chuckled when I read your comment, Phoenix. I don't think, when it comes to jewelry, I mean well and I certainly never mean to be nasty. I would like to see you get something you love and I'll always throw my opinion in if asked. I think different tastes and perspectives are of use, and this is mine; to stand out as far from the crowd as you can, within the realms of good taste and classic style. When it comes to jewelry, there's more than one way to skin a cat. So to speak.

I think one can buy jewelry which speaks to ctw and the specs of the stone/s used. In my opinion - and it's MY opinion and doesn't have to be anyone else's - these sorts of designs tend to be stone-focussed and less detailed and they appeal to a lot of people. Or you can be looking for a jewel - an overall piece with a higher design quotient. My love lies there, as it does for many people also. There's no right or wrong with this. But when I see a woman who leans towards between-finger VCA pieces, I think 'jewel' not 'stones'. If on the other hand, you have plenty of that and want something more plain - then great! And if you can do both, my hat is off to you! Either way, I hope you end up with a fabulous new piece that you enjoy.
So true mrs-b. That is a large part of why PS is so welcoming and enjoyable. Everyone does come with their own tastes and history but all are celebrated. You pieces are drop dead gorgeous and we are lucky that you share them with us. :wavey:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mrs B, thank you again for your thoughtful reply. :)

I like both actually, but the part in bold is certainly true - at least that's what I strive to achieve. I think that's why VCA appeals so much to me. I don't see too many people wear VCA IRL and there's only 1 person I know that also has the Lotus BTF ring and I've never actually seen it in person, only know that she has it. I love so many of their designs: so different, classy and yet whimsical at the same time; it's like wearing magnificent pieces of art on your person.

I've been after a larger tennis bracelet for a while, so I'll stick with that. That'll be part of my everyday-collection. I'll save the VCA and more-design oriented pieces for special occasions, bc that's how I feel they deserve to be worn.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful and considered input.:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results