shape
carat
color
clarity

Temp e-ring: is this too much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
My BF & I are looking to purchase a ring to use as a temporary e-ring. (Thanks to everyone who posted in response to my first thread on temporary rings--you all had wonderdul advice!)

I had the thought that a yellow stone (perhaps sapphire?) to simulate the look of a canary diamond might be fun.

I ordered this ring last night, but am having buyer''s remorse. I have 4-6 weeks to make up my mind as it''s on backorder at Ross Simon.

Here''s the link.

I''m worried about the instant shrinkage which will take place when I get my diamond, which will not be anywhere near 4 carats in size! Also, does this look so huge that it''s obviously not a precious gem?

Does anyone know where I could find a similar mounting/stone for less? Ideally we''d like to spend around $1000 for this ring.

Thanks!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
WHITE GOLD LEMON QUARTZ DIAMOND RING
Juicy pear-shaped slices of lemon quartz made extra refreshing with a splash of diamonds. 14kt white gold. 4.25 carat pear-shaped lemon quartz ring with .40ct. t.w. diamonds

lemon quartz.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4 carat sapphire is not surreal... and it could be lab made as well.

Call me crazy, but the setting of that ring does not look appealing at all - even in the doctored picture the paved stones look uneven. $600 are good money after all.

I have not seen it though - just that picture.

Can you get the real setting and have a colored stone in it until the desired diamond takes it''s place ? That''s one way to do it... and there is a new example of the tactics on "Show me the ring" among the new posts.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what size, ultimately, will your ''permenant'' ring be? 4ct anything is substantial, imo. and of course, if you end up with something less after it will certainly seem rather small. to me, this ring looks more like a fashionable rhr instead of an e-ring, but it is still for you to decide! best of luck!
1.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it does kind of look like J-Lo gets engaged, doesn''t it?
40.gif

Thanks for your thoughts.

Valeria, I found the post you were talking about & the Michael E. ring does indeed look lovely. Do you think a simulant would be detectable by most people? (keep in mind my grandparents were jewelers so my family knows their stuff)

When we were shopping, I fell in love with a 2.14 ct asscher so I think that''s what we''ll be looking at when it comes time for the permanent ring. I''ll attach the mountings I liked...(I like the baguette one more, but the one with rounds in the shank is nice & much less expensive.)

I looked at Wink''s asscher simulants & they do indeed look lovely. Do you think this is a better way to go? I would be concerned if my folks found out bf proposed w/ a CZ (it would not go over well).

Baguette asscher.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
This is the other mounting I''m considering.

Asscher1 ring.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Brightspot...

Your quandry has got me thinking!

I agree with what everyone else has said about the first ring you posted..

If I were you, I''d go for a colored stone, real or sim (I''m partial to real...and there are beautiful stones out there that are not expensive), and save "the Diamond Look" for when you finally get your beautiful asscher. Your "temp ering" would then become a sentimental, treasured RHR.

Why not give Michael E or Wink a call and see what they could do for you within your budget? Doesn''t hurt to ask!
1.gif

BTW...I love the second mounting you posted!

Good luck
widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would not try to pass CZ for diamond though - if this is temp, what's the need anyway ? Usually it is the context not the stone itself that tells the whole tale: the poor quality of CZ cut, wear, the low quality of the settings and unreall sizes announce a fake. If those details are kept right, than the ring will look good.

I love the setting at Nelson's ! If you do too... perhaps Wink could make one ?

In the interest of colored stones... here's a ring with a rather nice aqua "asscher" (LINK) - the cut of the stone looks so nice (IMO) although the setting is weird. I am posting it for the stone, of course. And below is yet another square aqua:

1aqua175.jpg

At 6.8mm diameter, it could well become placeholder for your future diamond. It could look wonderful between two 4mm square diamonds (about 20-25 pts each asscher or square baguettes).

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I were you, I''d go for a colored stone, real or sim (I''m partial to real...and there are beautiful stones out there that are not expensive), and save "the Diamond Look" for when you finally get your beautiful asscher. Your "temp ering" would then become a sentimental, treasured RHR.
what a terrific idea widget!!
36.gif
this gets my vote, bar none.
2.gif

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I have to say that I''m not really feeling the quartz ring. 4 carat is pretty big. I would think that most people would think it was a fashion ring. Plus, I think that that''s pretty pricey for what you''re getting...

I think widget has a great idea! I think $1000 can go a long way with WInk or Michael E. That would be my first recommendation.

Or get the mounting you like and put a colored stone in it for now. The vendor who sells you the mounting should be able to source you something (aquamarine, yellow sapphire) for a reasonable price.

A friend of mine bought a ring from this ebay store recently and was pretty satisfied with it. Pretty inexpensive, but you get what you pay for, I think, considering, she was happy. They''re all cheaper, more belivable, maybe better quality than the one from Ross Simon. Plus, I think they''re willing to work with you and set any of their designs with any colored gem.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Another idea:
Does your bf have any family jewelery, even rhr, that he can propose to you with? You can wear it, but tell your family that he proposed to you with a sentimental piece, but that you two are designing your ring yourselves? If they''re jewelers, they''ll understand that sometimes that takes a while. Share with them all your indecision-- "I wanted an asscher, but now I think I want an OEC! What do you is more important, color or clarity? Gap with wedding band or flush? I''ll just *never* make a decision!" That way, you''re officially engaged, but you''ve bought yourself some time until you can afford your dream diamond?

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Wow, once again, you guys have wonderful ideas! Thanks!

I think you''re all right in that the quartz ring is just a little too out there. It is celebratory, indeed, but would probably scream "fake!" and would set me up for an extreme shrinkage disappointment when the diamond arrives.

Valeria, you''re right that the context of the CZ probably goes a long way in either hiding its secret or broadcasting it. I don''t think it''s wise for me to try to pass off a CZ as a diamond, though. I think it would feel dishonest & I would worry about my folks discovering it''s a fake.

So, it seems my best options right now are to either 1., buy a colored stone ring that will eventually become a sentimental RHR (Not the quartz!), or 2., to create the mounting that will eventually be filled by a diamond & fill it temporarily with a colored stone like an aquamarine or a yellow sapphire. (then, I''d remount the colored stone into something else?)

I''m not sure which is the better option. If I go with option #1, I''ll be able to have an entirely new ring & it will always be the ring my bf proposed with in its original form, and will probably be less of an expense at present.

If I go with option #2, I will have something very similar looking to what will be my final (diamond) engagement ring. All that will need to happen is for the center stone to be replaced. This would indeed make a smooth transition from temp to permanent ring, but my concerns with it are as follows:

1. I''m getting so impatient to get engaged that this option will take longer
2. My parents are coming to visit over Memorial Day weekend & have been very hesitant to come see where I am living-in-sin w/o even being engaged.
23.gif
I think they would feel better if we were officially engaged, even if it''s with a placeholder ring. I''m concerned that there would not be time to create the custom ring & for bf to propose before then. (Keeping in mind that we''ll be out of town for the next 2 weekends in a row.) I guess 1 & 2 are similar reasons.
3. I''ve been going back and forth about what kind of ring I want so much & for so long that I''m almost hesitant to commit to a setting before we''ve finalized our diamond choice. BF & I have even talked about getting a 3-stone asscher that could serve as an e-ring & wedding band in one, which is a definite departure from either of the mountings I posted. So I''m a little hesitant to invest in a custom mounting before we''re ready to go all the way w/ the diamond. Also, did I mention that the custom route would take longer?
2.gif
That aquamarine asscher is *stunning,* though! Also, I''m worried that it wouldn''t be as exciting to just replace the center stone as it would to get an entirely new ring.

Valouria, great wording about the expression of confusion and custom design questions, etc to ask my folks. I think they''d enjoy having some input. Thanks so much for the link to that ebay store! I found a citrine ring which looked similar in concept to the quartz ring that I liked, but in a more believable size &, hopefully w/ better workmanship & for half the price. What do you guys think?

Valouria, re: family jewelry, I''m not sure what my bf''s mom has. She said she had some diamonds in a pendant that we could have, but I''m not sure the details on them. I was hesitant to ask b/c what if I don''t like them? I''m not sure if she has a ring... Apparently his mom isn''t much of a fine jewelry person. She tends to think it too flashy.
20.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock

Product Name
Yellow Citrine and Diamonds ring

Appraised Value
USD $1,750

Metal
14k white gold

Accents
Natural VS-SI clarity diamonds (0.25ct)

Gemstone weight
1.40 cts

Size ( LxWxH)
8.50 mm x 6.50 mm.

Shape
Cushion Cut

RGB Color
Vivid Yellow

Clarity
VVS

Luster
Excellent

$259 starting bid

Citrine ring.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
BrightSpot,
The paer shaped setting that you first showed is readily available as a stock setting from a couple of different casting houses. You can get this setting with center stone sizes from a 5X3 pear to an 11x9 pear shaped center. As the center size goes up so do the number of side stones and the cost, but $1000 goes a long way on something like this. The only quandry is what to do about the center stone. CZ or other synthetics are inexpensive and look good, but if there would be a problem with that, (if your family knows their stuff, then they will know a synthetic), I would avoid them. This brings you to the point of using a natural stone that will be acceptable. In sizes of a couple of carats I would think that a colorless or very pale sapphire would look good. An aqua wouldn''t be as bright, but there is something alluring about a well cut ocean blue aqua. You could even have a natural colorless zircon cut that would look similar to a diamond and still have money left over for a very nice dinner. There are other choices that you may find nearly as appealing, say a pale pinkish topaz or a mint green tourmaline.
If you are going to put $1000 into this you may also want to consider having the setting made so that it will eventually fit the diamond that you would like to get. This way all you need to do is remove the center and install your diamond, with a big savings on the setting cost later on, (this savings could, of course be used to get an even better diamond).

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2005 2:35
6.gif
9 PM
Author: Michael_E
If you are going to put $1000 into this you may also want to consider having the setting made so that it will eventually fit the diamond that you would like to get. This way all you need to do is remove the center and install your diamond,
Michael...I''m sure this would be easier if Brightspot''s "dream diamond" were an RB. But if she hopes to get an asscher some day, doesn''t that make getting a mounting ahead of time a little trickier?

Just wondering..
widget

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Widget, that''s crossed my mind. Another concern is that, of all the asschers I saw, only one spoke to me. Granted, it spoke loudly, but still...
4.gif

If that diamond has sold by the time we go diamond shopping in earnest, I might wind up with an RB after all! I''m just too fickle at this stage of the game to feel comfortable investing in a mounting for my as yet unchosen diamond.

Micahel, thanks so much for your thoughts on my dilemma.

I like how you think about using the savings on not having to buy a mounting later on on getting a better diamond!
31.gif
I''m afraid that I may be too fickle to make the mounting investment now, though.

I guess that brings me back to getting a complete ring now, which I will later wear as a RHR. While I like the flexibility of having a custom ring made, there''s also some appeal of being able to purchase an inexpensive ready made ring now & save our design efforts (and the extra cash we saved by buying a cheaper temp ring) for the permanent ring...

Michael, what would be an estimate of the cost to make the asscher mounting w/ the 4 baguettes in platinum like the one posted earlier in this thread? The second mounting I posted is a casting and relatively inexpensive, but I love the look of the baguette mounting...

Also, I heard somewhere that it''s difficult to mount asschers & that they often need a custom setting. Is this true?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not really Widget,
I would recommend her getting the perfect setting and then just cutting the stone to fit it. This would work far better than trying to build the setting around the stone.
BrightSpot, If you do get the setting that you want first, make sure to get one where the prongs are long enough to allow some leeway in fitting it to your eventual diamond. In other words, don''t get a bezel setting or something with really short prongs, since they don''t allow much movement to fit the ring to your eventual diamond.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep us posted on what you decide!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2005 2:217 PM
Author: BrightSpot

[OPTION #2] to create the mounting that will eventually be filled by a diamond & fill it temporarily with a colored stone like an aquamarine ...

If I go with option #2 would indeed make a smooth transition from temp to permanent ring, but my concerns with it are as follows:

1. I''m getting so impatient to get engaged that this option will TOO long

3. I have even talked about getting a 3-stone asscher ... So I''m a little hesitant to invest in a custom mounting before we''re ready to go all the way w/ the diamond.
That aquamarine asscher is *stunning,* though!

4. I''m worried that it wouldn''t be as exciting to just replace the center stone as it would to get an entirely new ring.
From the bits of your message cobbled together above...

How about getting the squa (it is great, and there are not many like that!) and the two asscher sidestones that your future 3 Asscher ring will use and have them set asap in a white or yellow gold mounting ? Cheap ones exist and using a ready made one is hardly a "custom" project. It should take very little time unless the jeweler handles allot of backlog.

This version will produce soimething close to your final ring (three-stone asscher) that is not quite it (since you will change not only the center stone, but also the setting, so details like pave or engraving or different prongs will change the look if desired) and will not be 100% extra expense because the sidestones will be a substantial part of the final ring''s cost anyway.

Once the side diamonds are taken out to be placed into the future ring, the slots could be easily replaced with something.

Just a thought
2.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...that''s an interesting idea!
4.gif

Where did you find the loose aquamarine? I couldn''t find a link on your post. Are aqua asschers tough to find? The stone you posted is absolutely gorgeous!
9.gif

Investing in the sidestones now would definitely make a dent in the final ring cost. My only concern is that it might be a little more expense than we''d planned on at the moment. Also, to what extent do you think the sidestones would need to match the center stone?

I''m debating between having something made now that''s similar to what my final ring will look like for continuity''s sake or going with something completely different in a temp ring than what I''ll wind up with in the permanent ring so I''ll have the best of both worlds in the way of variety. Why have one ring when you can have 2?
2.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2005 10:50:16 AM
Author: widget
Hi, Brightspot...

Your quandry has got me thinking!

I agree with what everyone else has said about the first ring you posted..

If I were you, I'd go for a colored stone, real or sim (I'm partial to real...and there are beautiful stones out there that are not expensive), and save 'the Diamond Look' for when you finally get your beautiful asscher. Your 'temp ering' would then become a sentimental, treasured RHR.

Why not give Michael E or Wink a call and see what they could do for you within your budget? Doesn't hurt to ask!
1.gif

BTW...I love the second mounting you posted!

Good luck
widget
I think this is great advice. Good luck.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2005 9:16:26 AM
Author: BrightSpot

Where did you find the loose aquamarine?

Also, to what extent do you think the sidestones would need to match the center stone?
The aqua comes from lapilia.com

As far as I know, square step cut aquas small and with great color (real blue, not washed out) are hard to find. How hard ? Well, you just need one and could have one custom cut at any time if you so choose.

The sides match the center if you say so
2.gif
These will not be the same material, so as long as they are square step cut and the sides make a nicely matched pair, they may not need to be cut exactly like the center, IMO.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your advice! You gave me so many wonderful options to consider!

After much debate, I''ve decided to go with a colored stone ring that will eventually be a treasured RHR. I''ve contacted Michael E. & we''re looking at options to create a yellow sapphire & diamond ring. (probably with a pave halo)

Thanks for helping me come to my decision! I can''t wait to show you the ring when it''s finished!
36.gif

BrightSpot

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds great! I''d love to see your ideas and your finished product!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking it will be similar in style to this ring, but with a cushion shaped yellow sapphire instead of an oval pink tourmaline.

I just emailed Michael E back today so we''ll see what he says!
9.gif

tourmaline ring 2.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Brightspot,
Good choice it will be amazing!! Love a cushion yellow sapphire, and think the setting is beautiful as well!! Can''t wait to see the pics!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
EXCELLENT! i think you are on the right track with this one
2.gif

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds great! Good luck!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any news???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results