shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell plz key differences between moissanite and diamond

Lina_Kawaii

Rough_Rock
Trade
I saw so much moisanite stone rings, but actually dont see difference within them.

Sponsored By:

Related topics:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Refractive Index is the main difference, I believe.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The facets are double reflective unless you get a hearts and arrows. Most people can’t tell the difference. At this point I would go with a lab created diamond over a moissy because the price difference is not that much. Both are long wearing and very sparkly.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moissanite is a lab created gemstone.
the main difference is the level of dispersion, Moissanite is higher ie more sparkly. Some people find this effect a bit “fake looking”.
moissanite is often more yellow toned, premium priced Moissanite can be very white.
moissanite is doubly refractive. This causes a sort of blurring of facets when looking into the gemstone. Most people can’t notice this.
Moissanite can have inclusions and these are small tube like structures but again premium Moissanite will be pretty much flawless.
hardness which is the ability to resist scratching is about 9.25 in Moissanite vs 10 in diamond.
there has been reports of Moissanite developing like an oily haze over the gemstone. This requires a special polish to remove. I have a number of Moissanite pieces, none of mine have developed this “haze”.
one interesting difference is that Moissanite seems to resist better “muck” ie soap scum so stays sparkly longer between cleaning.
Coloured Moissanite is via colour deposition to the surface and people have found that it can fade / wear away over time.

AK29

Shiny_Rock
I saw so much moisanite stone rings, but actually dont see difference within them.

Like everyone has mentioned- the double refraction....however, its hard to visualize what that is until you see it in person and compare it side by side with an equivalent diamond.

I have an AV ideal cut moissanite and when compared in real life next to a super ideal diamond I would have to say they do look similar! The main difference is the moissanite (no matter how clean it is) will never look as "clear" as a diamond would. I think that is how you would see the double refraction in real life- hope that helps!

That said, most people, (these are people Ive told directly that it is moissanite), can hardly tell the difference

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.