shape
carat
color
clarity

Team Solitaire vs Team Halo

Pammy

Rough_Rock
I always thought I would want a solitaire/simple ering and never really tried any erings on or went ering "shopping". My bf of 6years proposed last weekend which caught me completely off guard. I had no idea at all! He did wonderful on choosing the ring and the proposal was everything I had wished. Now I have the ring I am rethinking the solitaire and LOVE the look of a halo on a plain band.

Is it possible to just add a halo to an existing ering/band without changing the band setting and maybe just replacing the "head"/prongs?

I'm a 27 year old nursing student and normally don't wear jewelry besides my super thin/dainty gold bands that my 6 sisters and I all have.

My ring specs:

1.0 ct VV2/I color ideal cut
Round brilliant
Very good polish/symmetry
Medium Blue fluorescence

Platinum band 3mm?

My ring size 5.5

_9896.jpg

_9897.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Your solitaire is really beautiful and it looks great on you. If you pair it with a blingy 5 stone wedding band, you will have a timeless set with plenty of sparkle!

However, if you want a halo, it's best to get a completely new setting, and not try to modify your solitaire. It can be done, but it doesn't always work out well.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally prefer the look of your ring - and yes it's super versatile in terms of wedding band to go with it. However, if a halo will make you happy, I say Go For It. Also, as a nurse, I assume you do alot of hand-washing; a solitaire may be easier to clean - you can pop it in an ultrasonic - and get soap residue and hand lotion off easily w/o the risk of losing a smaller/halo stone.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE this solitaire setting! I agree with the 5-stone or eternity to get that classic and timeless look. But yes, you'll most likely need to get a new setting if the solitaire isn't lighting your fire.

Pammy

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your responses!! I think I need to see my ring on my finger again to really see it. All this halo talk came about as I brought the ring to the jeweler to get resized. I had never walked into a jewelry store for myself and I was totally overwhelmed seeing all that bling. When I brought my ring in to be measured the lady helping me was talking about halos as she bagged up my ring for resizing. As I walk out of the store I peruse by the mountain of halos in their display and I leave questioning my ring style. Being the A type personality I am, I've been looking at halo settings on my computer screen as I stare at my empty finger and the few photos I took of the ring the day after the proposal.

Maybe I should take more pictures of my ring on my finger when it actually fits. I think it was a size 7 or 7.5 before dropping it off and I''m a size 5.5.

Thanks for everyone's kind compliments on my ring! I guess I can't really decide I am not happy with it if its not actually on my hand right now. I love the idea of a more bling'd out wedding band as I would love to keep the ring that my fiancé(such a weird thing to say) picked out all on his own, with very little guidance or leads from me! The only thing I ever mentioned to him was that I preferred solitaires when he was asking if I liked my friends ring, and this was almost 3 years ago!,

:loopy: :loopy: :loopy:

I'm so happy I found PS, everyone is so friendly and helpful!! :wavey:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your solitaire is perfect! It looks like the classic 6 prong Tiffany setting - which is a timeless setting!

I would vote Team Solitaire, and go for a blingier wedding band - or - an ever expanding collection of stackers to pair with it, as the mood strikes you! ;))

On days when you are not working - you can rock the sparkle! On days when you are nursing, then maybe also have a simple plain band to wear then.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
You can adjust your current setting to include a halo but I wouldn't. I would just get a completely new ring. Before you decide though wear the solitare for a little bit to see if you settle with it. If you are still thinking about the halo then go try a few styles on to see if that satisfies your bling craving.

I personally love halos so that would be my choice but I do agree with everyone else that your solitare is stunning!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful! Since you've only had it for a short time and it is now gone to be resized, I'd wait and enjoy your ring just as it is. Resetting in a halo setting is always an option you can exercise but for now I'd enjoy the beauty of what you have. Try on bands that you think you might like with it - that might be just the right amount of bling. A halo ring usually takes a plain band - not always but usually - so you can have extra bling with a band or with a halo setting. When you actually get a chance to try rings on, you might be surprised at what you like.

Your ring is classic and timeless - I think it is a real beauty and obviously something that he chose for you!

Pammy

Rough_Rock
Got my ring back from getting resized and its the first time I saw it out in the daylight!!

No filters/photoshop, I got the fire :)

Still contemplating a low halo though.
:saint:

_9941.jpg

_9942.jpg

_9943.jpg

Pammy

Rough_Rock
Also, if I did get a halo, I'm not sure how it would look because I've read that halos tend to make I color rocks look more yellow. My ring is GIA certified as VVS2 with an excellent cut and very good symmetry and medium blue fluorescence. I can not see any yellow in the stone and the jeweler that resized it actually said they would have thought it to be a G color had they not seen the GIA certificate for it. Has anyone seen or even own rings with halos on an I color diamond?

Thanks again, everyone is such a big help on PS. I'm slowly but surely learning about this little rock of mine.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
TEAM SOLITAIRE!!! It's beautiful! Congrats!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful as is! But if still crave for a halo after wearing it for a while, then just go for it!! I would not adjust the current setting but choose a new ring. You are bound to get disappointed if you spend money to adjust your solitaire. Good luck with your decision!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pammy|1379115291|3520415 said:
Also, if I did get a halo, I'm not sure how it would look because I've read that halos tend to make I color rocks look more yellow. My ring is GIA certified as VVS2 with an excellent cut and very good symmetry and medium blue fluorescence. I can not see any yellow in the stone and the jeweler that resized it actually said they would have thought it to be a G color had they not seen the GIA certificate for it. Has anyone seen or even own rings with halos on an I color diamond?

Thanks again, everyone is such a big help on PS. I'm slowly but surely learning about this little rock of mine.

I have a halo with a K colored diamond. Looks very white, I can't imagine an I looking yellow....

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
+1 Team solitaire.

Pammy

Rough_Rock
After months of thinking about it, my fiancé surprised me with a new setting for Christmas as we were selecting our new wedding bands. He knew I kept thinking about whether or not I should change the setting and said he didn't want me to even question it anymore. I'm so happy he made the decision for me as I'm so indecisive!! I love how thin the band is and love the dainty halo. This ring is far more comfortable for me to wear as the original platinum bad was rather large for my comfort.

_26214.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Your new setting is beautiful! :appl:

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
that halo reset is stunning!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful reset! Very delicate and well crafted.

Pammy

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your kind words, I'm extremely happy with it. Now to decide on a wedding band by May. I am considering a rose gold bezel half eternity. My fiancé chose his within 15 minutes, I wish I had the same decisive quality as him :(

houserabbitz

Rough_Rock
Really pretty reset! Who made your halo?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats & enjoy. You have lovely hands, so really any ring is going to look smashing!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous!!!!

mcnyc

Rough_Rock
I'm team solitaire for a couple of reasons. First, a solitaire is much more classic than a halo, and thus is much more likely to stand the test of time. Halos are very in right now, but they may become dated rather soon. So if you want your ring to be in style in 20 years, go with the solitaire. Second, halos are a bit too "flashy" for my taste. It just ends up being huge, which doesn't go with my style and it sounds like wouldn't really go with yours either. And third, if you have a beautiful diamond (which you definitely do!) I think the halo takes away from that and makes it look like a big clump of small diamonds instead of a single larger one.

That being said, I think you should go to jewelry stores and try on some halos to see if you like them. Also remember to try and judge the ring by how it will look with a wedding band, because that's how you'll be wearing it the rest of your life.

Here's my solitaire (1.71ct, J, VVS2):

img_8.jpeg

img_9.jpeg

img_10.jpeg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
While I'm a solitaire gal myself and I love your original setting, I have to say that your reset is just incredibly pretty! It looks so perfect on your hand and I am glad the decision is made so you can concentrate on getting married.

Pammy

Rough_Rock
@mcnyc your ring is beautiful and looks gorgeous on you. However after questioning the reset for about a year, my fiancé surprised me with the reset this December for Christmas. I was very indecisive on this decision so I thought about it for a year as I wore the solitaire. This Christmas my fiance went to take the ring to "check the prongs" and when we returned to the jeweler to both pick up the ring and shop for our wedding bands, my ring was reset into the perfect halo for me. I love the dainty size compared to the 3mm of platinum it was originally set in. I'm in love with the ring and love how pretty the diamond shines in it now. Though I agree that a halo is very popular right now, I believe it's the perfect ring for me, even if it might not be "as popular" 20 years from now. :)

mcnyc

Rough_Rock
Pammy|1421794292|3819500 said:
@mcnyc your ring is beautiful and looks gorgeous on you. However after questioning the reset for about a year, my fiancé surprised me with the reset this December for Christmas. I was very indecisive on this decision so I thought about it for a year as I wore the solitaire. This Christmas my fiance went to take the ring to "check the prongs" and when we returned to the jeweler to both pick up the ring and shop for our wedding bands, my ring was reset into the perfect halo for me. I love the dainty size compared to the 3mm of platinum it was originally set in. I'm in love with the ring and love how pretty the diamond shines in it now. Though I agree that a halo is very popular right now, I believe it's the perfect ring for me, even if it might not be "as popular" 20 years from now. :)
I should read the whole thread before I post! I saw your new setting after I posted my reply, and it is really beautiful and looks wonderful on your hand. And how sweet that your fiance surprised you with it!

Pammy

Rough_Rock
:love: .. @mcnyc no prob :). Yes he is very sweet. Before proposing I never even thought about rings so he had nothing to go by-- I didn't have a "future wedding" Pinterest board or anything . So he made the decision for me, thankfully, because I obviously could never decide on my own hah. You should hear how long it took me to finally say yes to the dress :eh: haha

_26258.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! The proportions of the halo and the diamonds in the shank are absolutely perfect. Enjoy this beautiful ring!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results