shape
carat
color
clarity

Tar-jay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone bought furniture from Target? Was it a step up from particle-board Ikea or about the same? Ideally I''d like something a little more solid than particle board but under 500.00 for a loveseat...target looks to fit the bill but I was hoping someone had experience with them.

Thanks!
34.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I bought some leather chairs from them (around $250 each) about 6 months ago and they are holding up very well. The chairs basically assembled already (just had to attach the legs and the set back) and they were together in less than 5 minutes. I would suspect a love seat would be the same way.
HTH.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
target sells a lot of stuff from lower end manufacturers that you can also buy directly from online. when we were looking for a leather chair i found a cheapie cool looking one online for almost pennies. then i realized they sold to target and when i looked at the target one it seemed like it looked way cheaper than the manuf pictures. so i was leery after seeing that.

personally if you want to spend not a lot but get more visibly quality furniture, i'd shop at cost plus or pier 1 if you have one in your area. i got a really cool dark mahogany and glass coffee table and console set from cost plus like 8 years ago and they still look amazing and were something like $100 each. crate and barrel also has some lower end stuff that won't break the budget but is probably better quality, they have CB2 as well. west elm as well as a lower end unit of pottery barn. also i have seen some really affordable items at zgallerie if you have one (leather chair and ottoman which was just beautiful when i saw them in person for $799!)

also...we have found some great deals at local stores like macys, if you can get a floor sample you can typically take a huge chunk off OR if they are doing 'closeouts' of something you can also get a great deal if you aren't too picky re: color or fabric. we got our leather chair and ottoman from macys that was something like $1500 retail and it was $1000 on closeout and it was the color we wanted and a beautiful piece.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I have gotten some book cases and some end tables from them and I have never had a problem with them.

What is your budget??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second what Mara says. When we were shopping for some stuff I found identical stuff to Target's furniture online for less (with some hunting). I ended up with discontinued Pier One nightstands at 75% off the retail price, plus another 10% off (there were some light scratches I easily covered up with one of those finish pens from Lowes and it worked since it's real wood and has grain) AND free shipping. And they are much better quality than anything I've seen in Target.

West elm and Crate and Barrel (they now have assembly required furnitureline that'a affordable) and CB2 are all good as well.

ETA: I'm very pro- target, just last night I was counting all the things from there I have... but their furniture isn't a good deal at all.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''m buying this in honor of getting a roommate, so I''m spending what I''m saving on the first month''s rent while she is here--450 or less. 70-100 of that is probably going to bookshelves, so around 350 for an armchair or a loveseat.

Mara I looked online at C&B and they looked awfully expensive--800 dollars or thereabouts. I should have a look at Pier One though, I like them.

Where online have you guys been finding these great deals? I buy things I can carry (bookcases&nightstands) off Craigslist, but not being 2 linebackers I can''t carry an armchair or loveseat
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
RT a lot of places do free shipping right now...so you can try to take advantage of that.

CB2 is cheaper than C&B but C&B has some deals if you don''t shop in their ''furniture'' area online. Like a $100 nightstand or whatever. But in ''furniture'' their stuff is all much higher quality. But I have had friends get regular stuff from CB downstairs (not Furniture) and been happy. A friend got an awesome metal bed frame from them for a Queen for like $300.

When I was shopping online I was looking for ''leather chair ottoman'' and just basically surfing whatever sites came up. That is how I found that one manuf that sold to Target. I thought that looks familiar. And you can also google manuf names once you have started looking around. But seriously I loved Pier1 and Cost Plus/World Imports when I was younger and outfitting my apartment. I love Target for some stuff but not serious furniture. Ikea is not all crap either, I got a couch from them for $800 that looked just like the PB slipcover couch and everyone thought it was the $2k PB one and it lasted me for 3-4 years (all I needed) and never sagged.

Have fun!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Wait...what''s CB2? I''s confused ;-)

I also have to decide armchair, daybed, or loveseat--basically she and I will share the main bed unless FI is up for the weekend, so she also needs a place to sleep, which makes a daybed appealing, but it takes up the most space.

Thanks!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I''m actually not contra-Ikea, but there isn''t one in New York, and they charge an arm and a leg for shipping (200 dollars or more from their website).

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I agree that Target was very overpriced, and with hunting you can find the same things online. The other thing you might want to try is Craigslist, under furniture, and then under "by dealer".

When we were moving into the apt, I got AMAZING deals by using craigslist. They are usually small family owned stores that sell pieces real cheap out of a small warehouse. Just like target, you just have to add legs or bolts and its together in monites!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.cb2.com/

It''s a somewhat new venture from CB, like a more modern/affordable place...kind of like West Elm is for PB.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results