shape
carat
color
clarity

tapered baguettes vs. tapered bullets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Anyone have any thoughts on this topic? - Which is more brillant - Are bullets just as "dead" as baguettes?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Good question. Since baguettes are step cut, they don't have a lot of sparkle for sure. Are bullets always step cut as well or can they be brilliant cut? I think I have seen trapazoids cut both step and brilliant, and the brilliant cut traps are definitely more sparkly. Or maybe they were brilliant and step-cut half moons -- I must be loosing my mind.
confused.gif

DiamondLil

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
I also found a cut called a bagillion - it's a brillant cut baguette...have you seen one of those? -

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't heard of a bullet (in terms of diamonds) before, can you please explain what it is or post a picture? Thanks!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Icelovr,

I have not seen a "bagillion." Sounds interesting. Can you post a picture? I wonder if there are any websites where they have pictures of all these interesting shaped stones in one place for comparison?

DiamondLil

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
This isn't the greatest picture, but you can see the bullet-cut stones on the sides...they are like rectagles with cone-shaped tops, like a.......bullet
2.gif

I've actually seem some as side stones like this picture in person and they are interesting but wouldn't be my top pick. try diamondsbylauren.com. David uses bullets a lot with his fancy yellows (and I know you like yellows, Sumi).
1.gif

bullet.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bigger stones are decently sparkly in either cut (baguette, bullet...) but these would at most look like nice ECs, no better nor worse. Small and esp. thin baguettes are not particularly sparkly, and great proportions are really niddle in haystack among them.

There are plenty other shapes specially cut for sides. Most of these are available in step cut and 'otherwise' vesions, and their names are not exactly well established. I am not sure everyone would call that a "bullet" - for example. 'Bagillion' is a trade mark. They cut is also used for larger diamonds...

The ueasy part of this story is that these 'side stone' shapes are not easily found retail at all. You can probably ask for 'modified brilliant' sides of almost every shape. I keep finding out about a new one each month!

Here's a pair of non-step cut (mixed cut) trapezoids, for example
nono.gif

WWW.

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
I found a site that discussed each cut by # of facets and uses for the cut - it's LADiamondFactory.com - look under 4C's and scroll about 1/2 way down. The one problem is that they are drawings - not actual pics. so it's hard to tell what they really look like...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gee ! Great! I was just trying to find the site again and pot a link... the actual pictures are way down the same page
1.gif

You may want to inspect this one - there are not as many types listed, but the pictures are much better and the stones shown on rings.

Pentagons and Kites... ...

Ugh... never ending story!
1.gif

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Nice pics Val - and they are reasonable priced too... have you heard anything about the company - see the reply to Win for style of setting I am thinking of ... suggestions?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting is... five stone, not three! I have long fallen for the combination of baguettes+center round - hard to arque otherwise....

Has the jeweler shown you the actual tappered baguettes he wanted to use? For a 3cts center, these should be quite substantial (length makes the price for baguettes, so one may want to warned of extra thin& long, dull cuts). Larger baguettes look rather nice - so it may be worth taking a look. If they have decent depth, baguettes should sprkle nicely and produce a good contrasting style with the round center.

Actually, same goes for the branded cut: assuming the jeweler gets a pair of those, who knows what the cut will be like? It does not appear that there are tons to choose from. Also, juts like ECs (the big brother of baguettes), the radiant or princess (also mixed cuts, like the 'llion) can get dull enough if the cut is not done properly.

Along these lines... I would not get too enthused for that design: the baguettes near the round sides are going to be really tiny - a real challenge to find any 'purpose made' sides with good cut quality that small. These shapes are also made to recycle shallow or low quality rough - sadly so.

This could be just a seriously distorted view from my part. If you are set on a jeweler, could you ask him to give you a range of options for side stones, all with decent cut quality for what they are ? Vitually all shapes can achieve good 'sparkle' and hopefully most makers of custom rings can do this for you
rolleyes.gif

Just a thought, of course...

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
You make excellent points Val...I want a substantial ring, with whoa! size stones...I have a .75 channel bag. ring and have never been crazy about the lack of sparkle in the piece. I guess I am just to torn on a setting. I wanted the Vatche - 5 stone, but have found w/ a 2ct center, the sides will have to be smaller than I would like - or I can go large and it will look like a massive piece - neither of which appeals to me. I guess I'd rather have 2 larger stones (.50+) than a bunch of smaller ones. This jeweler (I don't know him very well - but he's in a very snotty part of town) suggested a 3 stone w/ a bit of a twist - thus the baguettes. I don't want to see much metal on the ring to I think this was what he came up w/ the take up the space between the set of rounds (5.5mm) and the rest of the ring. He mentioned they would be about 2.5/3mm x 5mm. ...is a 3 stone too plain?
rolleyes.gif
...thanks for listening (well, actually reading)...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Plain 3 stone... 'plain' can easily become 'ellegant'. How about the thing below?

Below, the center is about 3.5 cts and the baguettes near 1 carat total, for ref. The size of the ring and the rapport you are looking fro between the center and sides (size, but also facet pattern could 'match' or 'contrast', I guess) will determine the shape of sides too. 'No metal showing' - as you say, makes me think of small sides.. is this ringt?

Double Bag.jpg

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the pic. Val. It's what I was thinking when I first started this process - very classic and elegant...but IMHO...I sorta think it's kinda blah, I feared w/ the baguettes being so flat, I wouldn't like it...I thought the sparkle of rounds would be what I was looking for...RE: no metal - I don't like the channel set or chunky settings - I like to see stones...stones...stones...I was even thinking of a shared prong set band w/ .10-.15 point stones making the band look like it was a band of diamonds..imagine one diamond lined up next to another w/ just the heads holding them together (Like the one Mara just got)...but thought it would be too e-ring ish - this is a right hand ring...
confused.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
My ring is similar to the one Val posted. The center stone is 3 cts & the sides total around 70 points. It's a Vatche & the proportions are very nice. It makes a lovely e-ring w/ wedding band. But, the setting isn't condusive to a right hand ring.

In your poll, I voted for #1. Knowing now that it is a right hand ring, hands down #4 - the truffle 3 stone.

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
F&I,
I thought the same about the ring for a right hand ring - I love the elegance and classic look of the one you have (whoa 3ct ctr - very nice). #4 is winning by far in the poll...thanks for the input -
Icelovr

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
To add something else to the mix - have you thought about colored stones. If you look at the "colored gemstone" forum, Josh posted pics of his sapphire recuts that Richard Homer did. Great optics!

icelovr

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I looked into them - I have a 3 stone e-ring (1.78ct round sapp center w/ 2 rnd .45ct stones. The problems I ran into were 1) the reverse of what I currently have I think would look goofy 2) rubies - I love this country, but it would be a bit toooo patriotic for me 3) emerald - kinda soft and even the good ones are way too included...but yes you are right - it's a good idea.

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Sapphires aren't just blue. They can be found in about every color imaginable - including some yellows and pinks that very nicely match the same hues found in diamonds.

It's true natural Emeralds aren't known for thier durability, but that is mainly due to thier inclusions, fractures, and treatments. The lab created emeralds lack these irregularities and so are actually tough as nails, I have even tested them in stone-in-place casting successfully. For a high-wear/high-risk application requiring Emerald, you might look into Chatham.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results