shape
carat
color
clarity

Tap tappp, this thing on?

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Anyone remember me? :naughty: Missed you guys

I need advice, advice on how to stop a friend getting a quad set for an E-ring....argh

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
a what?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no! Does she want it or the future FI?

Hey, there IWP!!! how are you? good to see you! :bigsmile:

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1332531081|3155253 said:

They picked it out together :-/

Hi Skip! :wavey: :cheeky:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that where it's like, four little princess cuts together to make "one" big one? A friend of mine has one like that w/a channel set band and channel set wedding band-lotsa sparkle but not something I like.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
:knockout:

Is she one that might EVER want to reset? What about handing it down to her future LO's and their reset? Appeal to the versatility of a solitaire type setting - easy to reset, pair with bands, etc. For that kind of money she could get a really wonderful solitaire! Have you shown her some online options from PS community recommended vendors? Good luck!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I wish I knew how to help! Apparently people don't want to just trust me that these things are not the best idea. Le sigh.

Anyways, good to see you again, IWPO!

Some people like the look... I wouldn't say anything since I don't think it's any of your business.

However, if they only looked at 2 rings, maybe she just needs to be shown how many styles are out there?

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
IWPO: I assume she/they have seen your ring right? If they have, and your beautiful ring doesn't make them want a non-quad set style (and better color, clarity, cut, etc.), then I think I'd just chalk their choice up to they want what they want and move on.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe the appeal of the size and the overall cost for the whole thing appeals to them.. To each his own

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iwannaprettyone|1332531290|3155256 said:
Skippy|1332531081|3155253 said:

They picked it out together :-/
you must stop them from purchasing the ring... :knockout:

btw; nice to hear from ya at least we know your still alive... :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she LIKE losing diamonds, because I think it's almost guaranteed to happen with that kind of setting. If she can't be swayed, she should definitely get insurance and ask the store exactly what happens if she loses a diamond--even years down the line. Is it easily replaceable, or a nightmare?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if they like it, they like it.
did they ask your opinion? if not, well, nothing to say other than "congratulations, i'm glad you found something you like".

actually, i do commiserate: my mother's e-ring that she rec'd in 1946 was stolen/lost 2-3 years ago. unfortunately, she only thinks of Zales and never thought to ask me where i thought she could find a replacement. Lang's would have been my first choice. i made the mistake of looking at Lang's website after she showed me her replacement....she could have had a lovely ring very similar to her own. realistically, she's very happy with her replacement despite the anger and depression re the loss of her original. not any of my business....except that she's made it clear she's leaving it to me!

some people just do not want to take the time or trouble. its their life and their $. hard to accept sometimes.

welcome back!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Hi IWPO! :wavey: I remember you!

Zales is the worst. They could get so much better quality for the money. I think whether or not you decide to say something would depend on how close you are to them and how you approached it. Certainly don't approach it by trying to convince them out of the quad set, but if you do it from a value standpoint that they could do better quality for the money and go from there...Good luck!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would just warn them of the durability issues... Those styles often loose stones or they get chipped easily.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
shimmer|1332554085|3155406 said:
I would just warn them of the durability issues... Those styles often loose stones or they get chipped easily.

this is the way I would approach the issue... you have to tread lightly though- if she hasn't asked your opinion may be becuase she doesn't want it :nono:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi IWPO :wavey: I am gonna share a story that should ban me from PS lol, I wanted a Quad set, I actually purchased one from JB Robinson many years ago when they first came out (early 2000's) but my hubby hated it and I wasnt sure if I wanted to spend that much money at the time (it was expensive even back then) so I returned it, thank goodness. I was thrilled with the finger coverage and that is why I wanted it, I knew nothing about diamonds other then they sparkled. Later that year my hubby bought me my current princess...the jeweler is a family friend and we were discussing the fact that I had purchased a quad set and returned it..his advice to me was to NEVER purchase one as the stones come loose very easily and that if one falls out there are very difficult to match exactly when they need replaced..maybe you could use that logic....good luck.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Hi there! I remember you...

I think they could get a much nicer ring for the money. They most likely are falling for the same old tricks. High ct count, finger coverage and they think its great for $4k+

I agree it all depends on how close you are to the couple. IF it were me I would find rings that I thought were a better, within their budget and gives good diamond real estate. Show them the options. Once they see more they might be swayed. Thats really all you can do.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink, ya know?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey there, I rememeber you!! No advice just wanted to say hello... :wavey:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Hi! :wavey: I remember you. Welcome back, hope you stick around for a while!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember you too, IWAP! Welcome back!

I would just let her get it if she likes it. A lot of people like the look. Whiteflash sells a couple like that too. I would probably buy it from them and get better quality diamonds. It is a lot of finger coverage for less money. I don't like them for engagement rings, but I do like invisible set stones. To each his own.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't say anything - she has the right to choose whatever ring she likes, it's her and her fiancé's business. As long as she loves it, not sure why it really matters what anyone else thinks :confused:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
IWPO!!! Missed you, lady!

I was reading the reviews of that set over at Zales and it seems it's mostly dudes who picked those out & surprised gals with them. I'm sure they love the HUGE look and ability to say it's a "three carat ring" (as **IF** that meant the same as a three carat center stone :rolleyes: ).

Dunno what you can say to change her mind -- it's hard to get THAT big a look for 4K including both e-ring & wedding band. Maybe that "I hear they lose stones easily & are hard to match" advice will at least warn them to get insurance. Or maybe think twice!

:naughty: I had to include this rave review: ""This ring is beautiful, The copoliments keep coming and coming and its very noticeable everywhere i go. I wouldnt trade it for nothing in the world."

atp223

Shiny_Rock
Any way you can focus on talking to the guy in the relationship rather than the girl (who is presumably the one you are closer with)? Maybe explain to HIM the durability downfalls and the fact he could do way better for his money elsewhere? He might be less offended than the girl would be, and might simply appreciate the heads up.

Similarly, my future mother in law just got a haloed pear from zales. It's huge, and I shudder to think of what they spent on it...but I was not consulted first and it's definitely kind of horrible. So I can commiserate!

Good luck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect this product appeals to customers who'd just prefer to not get educated.

I wouldn't ruin her 3 carat fantasy with 3/4 carat truth.
I'd just let her tell her friends and family she got a 3-ct diamond.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Forward this thread to her

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted said:
IWPO!!! Missed you, lady!

I was reading the reviews of that set over at Zales and it seems it's mostly dudes who picked those out & surprised gals with them. I'm sure they love the HUGE look and ability to say it's a "three carat ring" (as **IF** that meant the same as a three carat center stone :rolleyes: ).

Dunno what you can say to change her mind -- it's hard to get THAT big a look for 4K including both e-ring & wedding band. Maybe that "I hear they lose stones easily & are hard to match" advice will at least warn them to get insurance. Or maybe think twice!

:naughty: I had to include this rave review: ""This ring is beautiful, The copoliments keep coming and coming and its very noticeable everywhere i go. I wouldnt trade it for nothing in the world."

Haha love the review :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results