shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzania Gems

Itaikr34

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm planning a trip to Tanzania in three months (Arusha area, Lake Manyara, Serengeti area, Ngorongoro, Tarangire).
I'm looking for an idea for a unique stone that is rare to fit in a ring.

Thanks in advance,
Itai
P.s
Maybe I'll have one day at Winza.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I was on a safari in Tanzania recently, in the same area you plan to travel to. There's a Tanzanite Experience Museum (which our group didn't visit for lack of time). Swala gems, which is on the recommended vendor list, is in Arusha.
Hope this helps.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sapphires and spinels! You can get unique colored sapphires and spinels or if you find the neon mahenge spinels, the color will speak for itself.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The thing about buying in source countries are:

1. The best stones goes straight to top buyers/dealers who pay big bucks straight from the mine or local top dealers. So the big alexandrites and tsavorites and truly rare gemstones are usually spoken for before they come out of the ground.
2. The government imposes tax and duties, and has government authorized sellers. Some caution in customs needed when buying from source countries. They may ask receipts at customs. You can buy from unauthorized dealers, but know that there are risks.
3. You can get the fine gems at the nice shops, buy they are not necessarily lower than what you'd get outside of source country. It may be lower than most retail or brick and mortar shops outside of Tanzania (say compared to New York or London), but I find many if not most prices in source countries to be out of proportion. If you have a good budget and buying it as a souvenir rather than thinking of getting a deal, you may find the fine stones at nice shops, especially those located at top luxury hotels. Good news is these stones may be available there compared to ordinary luxury retail shops outside the country - say, it is not everyday you find an alexandrite at a brick and mortar shop no matter what size.
4. Always lots of fake stones and simulants at source countries and mining towns and low quality stones.
5. You can search for top dealers in mining towns and major cities, but they usually do not carry lab reports for the stones from reputable labs (the acquisition of lab reports are usually done by international traders/dealers/resellers), so if you know what you are buying, you can get a deal with good negotiation, but if not, it will be risky for you.
6. Depending on your time of travel, if there is a Tanzanian gem show around, you'll have better chances there as the gem shows are done to attract international buyers and trade professionals.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to proper dealers like Swala gems is an excellent idea. I agree with Seaglow there are a lot of people at markets etc on the prowl for tourists to sell synthetics or lower grade stones that have been treated to unsuspecting tourists. Try and stick to reliable and recommended vendors particularly if you don't have the experience to know what you are looking at.

Itaikr34

Rough_Rock
Trade
can you recommend me on some good and reliable dealers that might have this alexandrite or other truly rare and unique gems?

Thank in advance,
Itai

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you recommend me on some good and reliable dealers that might have this alexandrite or other truly rare and unique gems?

Thank in advance,
Itai

Perhaps you didn't see arkieb1's post, above, but she recommends Swala Gem Traders.

Itaikr34

Rough_Rock
Trade
Perhaps you didn't see arkieb1's post, above, but she recommends Swala Gem Traders.
I did saw arkieb1's post but I prefer do not buy at swala gems because from what I've seen their prices are relatively high. Anyway, can you recommend me on some other gem dealers in the areas I will travel to?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did saw arkieb1's post but I prefer do not buy at swala gems because from what I've seen their prices are relatively high. Anyway, can you recommend me on some other gem dealers in the areas I will travel to?

Nope, cannot.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may find that stones from Tanzania are actually more expensive in Tanzania than if you purchased them somewhere else. You will also need to get proper paperwork, which you won’t get unless you work with a repuatable dealer, unless you intend on smuggling the stones out. Even very experienced buyers can be sold misrepresented goods, so be careful. Lots of simulated stones going around. Some good advice from others above.

Itaikr34

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you very much I will be much more aware and carefull. I will stick to raliable source and try to get the best deal possible.
If you have names of dealers like swala gems please tell me.

Thank you all,
Itai

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
Hi, Itaikr34, my husband and I spend a lot of time in East Africa as his family still lives there. For the last decade plus, I've been every other year. I agree with what the other PS'ers have written above. My experience is that all the best gems have left Africa and what is left is priced very high for the quality. I'm not sure if genuine deals are to be had. A noted PS colored stone vendor has informed me that sometimes African dealers end up buying the gemstones back from US and other foreign vendors to sell to the African markets, hence the expensive mark up, which is a shame. I really hope you enjoy your three months in Tanzania! Such a beautiful part of the world :)

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are a serries of three blogposts on buying stones in tanzania here.

After reading them I got the distinct impression that you actually wont be able to get anywhere near a dealer without an introduction. Also sounds like there are no lab reports so you have to be able to spot synthetic and heavily treated stones.

I would alo try swala gem traders, but it might be safest to pay them to ship the stone home to you rather than lugging it round tanzania.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results