shape
carat
color
clarity

talk me out of this...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
HI! I have a RB 1.13 in vatche x prong plat setting. I have the lovely vatche matching plain band as well. The setting and band were a recent upgrade. I have put in the word with the hubby that i would also like an eternity band so I can have two "looks." He doesn''t get this but humors me with the jewelry addiction.
Somebody talk me out of buying this eternity band from overstock.com. I''ve seen it in person and it looks really nice. Tell me that the quality is iffy. Most of all, tell me it is stupid to get a white gold ring to wear with plat! It is so tempting because it is the look I like (smooth sides, nice and skinny) and deliciously affordable at $300 for half ct.

Oh yeah, and how is it that I have seen it in person? I have ordered the thing before! That was before the setting upgrade, and it was too tall for my setting I had at that time! It was so tempting to keep it anyway though!

By any chance anyone have this ring and if so, any problem with stones coming loose?

ovrstkring.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
PS I should say, although my husband is a good sport, he says I have spent far too much on jewelry this year and he wants to get me the eternity band for an anniversary in the distant future (since one in plat is about $1000 even on facets collection)

I hate when I make this mistake getting something that is almost right but not perfect... tell me to hold out for the plat!!

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gail! Sorry, but I won't be talking you out of that ring. I don't own it, so I can't answer any questions, but it's so pretty and such a great deal at $300! I'm shopping there right now too, and recently bought another ring from Overstock, so wrong person to ask.

Considering the jewelry fanatics in this forum (myself included), I think you'll have a VERY difficult time finding someone who'll talk you out of buying a new sparkly!
2.gif

ETA: Okay, okay. Hold out for the plat!
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it''s not too late
2.gif
there''s something I don''t like about the picture. Does that help?
31.gif
Are you remembering it "better" that it really was? Did you LOVE love it?

One way I keep my clothing shopping in check is I never buy anything I don''t love more than the outfit I wore into the store. Do you love it more than other jewelry pieces you are wearing RIGHT NOW? If not - no go. Step away from the charge card. Step away from the computer. Step toward the pint of Ben & Jerry''s. JK
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks I knew I could count on y''all to talk some sense into me... (mostly!)
WISH I had ben and jerrys, am doing low carb right now BLAH!
14.gif

Honestly, I did love it.

Rationally I know, wait til I can get one from facets in plat where I know the quality will be good and its the right metal.

Irrationally I want to buy something I can wear NOW.
27.gif

But I''m waiting... grr!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2005 1:36:04 AM
Author: gailrmv
Irrationally I want to buy something I can wear NOW.
27.gif

But I''m waiting... grr!

I hear ya, lady. I''ve only had my e-ring a month and it feels "incomplete" kinda. Like I KNOW something else is coming ... I just want to finish it up with the wedding band (or bands). I even know that it probably looks best solo ... it''s just "the next thing", "the next search" AIIIGHH. I''ll chill out soon I guess but I''ve even thought of getting costume rings to, you know, try out looks. See - it''s a sickness!

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gail! We are on the same wavelength. I am looking for a decent but cheap eternity band to go with my set and just ordered one from overstock.com yesterday! Mine''s the channel version though...in white gold to wear with my platinum e-ring as well! (Impulsive purchasers think alike!) Before I bought it, I decided to do a search on PS for overstock.com and found the following thread...

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/topic27229.html=

From what I can tell, it''s about the exact ring you are contemplating buying (again!). It looks beautiful for the price but the poster does say that it hurts her fingers - being a little tall, the prongs scratch and she finds it uncomfortable. A similar statement is actually posted in the ring''s comments section on overstock.com as well.

So - if you need a reason to wait for the signed pieces platinum band - maybe this is it??

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi Paula,
we ARE on the same wavelength!
I hope you love your ring from overstock! I actually have tried that channel one too. It was also not quite right with my old setting so I sent it back. It was a gorgeous ring though!
Are you worried about mixing metals?
I have heard that the platinum ring will eat up the gold eventually - but I realize now I don''t know what that means exactly! Would it scratch and eventually gouge? With the x prong I should be careful because one of the prongs sort of comes out more than the other on either side (this is why some people complain that things don''t sit flush).
I hope you enjoy your ring! Post some pics!!
Gail

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think I would hold out to get the ring I really wanted from SP - you won''t be able to add $700 to this one later and upgrade. The SP bands are of such quality - diamonds just sparkle like mad!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Go to Claire''s or something and buy a cheap CZ to tide you over. Hold out for platinum!!! I decided to get a plain plat wband instead of a wg pave eternity to go with my plat ering, and I am so glad I did, because wg yellows on me quickly and I just like plat better.

Convinced yet?
28.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Would a band like that sit flush with your setting? Thats what I''m concerned with as I have a setting similar to yours.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2005 7:41:20 AM
I have heard that the platinum ring will eat up the gold eventually - but I realize now I don''t know what that means exactly! Would it scratch and eventually gouge?

Yup, the more dense plat would scratch away at the softer wg over time. Also, when plat is scratched, the metal just "displaces", it''s still attached to the rest of the ring, just in a different place than it was originally (hence the plat patina), and when polished, it gets put back into place so-to-speak. When scratched, yg and wg actually falls off the ring, so eventually (and I do mean eventually) with enough scratching, all you''re left with is a tiny thin little ring of metal and diamonds scattered around you.

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/8/2005 7:41:20 AM
Hi Paula,
Are you worried about mixing metals?
I have heard that the platinum ring will eat up the gold eventually !
Gail
I guess it''s a concern but I''m not going to let it worry me. I''ll have to wait and see what it looks like in person. I know it won''t be the quality of SP or WF, but if it sparkles and shines, and looks ok next to my set I''ll be satisfied for now. Glad to hear you liked it when you looked at it.

My issue is that I want it now - and, in my warped mind, I can justify spending the $300, not $1000 or more. Arguably, I should put my need for instant gratification on hold and save up for platinum but I just don''t want to wait!
9.gif
Again - let''s see if I feel the same way when it arrives. If this cheaper ring is eaten away over time, I can live with it. The price is right. If it were reversed and my more expensive setting would be damaged, I wouldn''t do it.

You can always order the ring from overstock, see how you like it with your x-prong, and return it if it''s not quite right. At least then you will know for sure instead of wondering what if...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Talk YOU out of it?

Now that you''ve posted it, I have to talk ME out of it. (The yellow gold that is.)

In fact, I have to talk myself out of two of them.
2.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2005 10:38:30 AM
Author: Patty
Talk YOU out of it?

Now that you''ve posted it, I have to talk ME out of it. (The yellow gold that is.)

In fact, I have to talk myself out of two of them.
2.gif
LOL
31.gif

Gailrmv, I find it hard to believe that this ring for $300 is anywhere as nice as one from SP or WF. But having said that, you have seen it in person, and you know that it isn''t hideous either
2.gif
. So it it were me, I would only purchase this ring right now if I really, really, really wanted an eternity band, AND I would be unable to get one from SP or WF for over two years or so. See, to me, I think of this $300 as almost a third of what I will pay for a SP band. And if I can afford to pay this $300 now, maybe in six months or so (or even less), I could technically front another $600 or so for the SP band.

My other concern is the mixing of metals. For short term use, I''m sure it will be fine.

In the end, I just hate having to pay a decent amount of money to purchase something that I don''t 100% love and want. I''d rather save my money to purchase what I really, really want. So here, I would put the $300 aside and save up for the SP band instead.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
gail just curious, when you said you saw this band, what did you think? diamonds white and sparkly? how was clarity, did you see any boogies in the stones? was the quality of the metal seemingly good, aka high polish with no pitting?

i''m really curious, i see alot of stuff on overstock too and 99% of it in the jewelry section totally seems chintzy, but those images look pretty darn nice. $300 for an eternity ring that would be white and sparkly with no eye-visible inclusions seems like a good deal to me.
9.gif

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, personally I don''t like how the diamonds are kinda far apart. I''d like them to be closer. Hope that helps!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hard to tell from the pic but some of the diamonds look pretty dark?? I would much rather save for a band from SP that you''ll be happy with for many years to come. Just my 0.2.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2005 1:15:37 PM
Author: peonygirl
Well, personally I don''t like how the diamonds are kinda far apart. I''d like them to be closer. Hope that helps!
9.gif
If the diamonds were any closer they''d be in a channel setting, not a shared prong.
2.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I bought that very ring from Overstock back in the spring. I loved it so much, I bought another one last summer. Mine are in yellow gold. I got mine on sale. Also if you're interested, check out the online coupon sites, they'll often have an extra 10% coupon. The last one I bought was on sale for $255 with an extra 10% off that brought it to $230. I wear it all the time and haven't lost a single stone.

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Glad you love your rings, Pearcrazy. Have you posted pictures?

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not on my hand, but here''s a picture of one of them.

stackedset.JPG

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
I love the ring. They are almost sold out.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
So, lots of different opinions!
To answer question about quality, to the naked eye it was great. No visible inclusions, extremely sparkly, no pitting. It was slightly uncomfortable if I squeezed my fingers together but I don;t tend to hold my hands that way a lot. It may be inherent in that kind of style. i don''t have a loupe but it looked pretty darn good to me and I am pretty picky. The only thing I would change about it is to make it in plat, of course, and the height was a few mm more than I would have chosen.
I suppose I''ll hold out for the sp plat band. I will probably be happier with it long term just because of the metals wearing the same way. We''ll be in a much better financial situation in 2 years and then I could probably get exactly what I want.... I''ll be patient but it''s tough!
Oh, speaking of overstock - I''ve ordered a few things from there and all have been far and away better than the pictures on their website. That site could be improved a lot in terms of both photos and descriptions!
They seemed to be sold out of wg for a while and I just noticed they have it in 5.5. When I had it before I got 6 and it felt really big so I''d probably get 5.5... but I WILL RESIST!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not talking anyone out of any jewelery, no way, no how. BUY IT. It will make you happy! Instant gratification devil!
emotion-14.gif
LMbootyO! Men don''t understand, but I do!

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Monarch - you are BAD.... Then again, so am I!!! Being a mom of 3 small kids, I don''t get a lot of instant gratification...so I grab it where I can get it. Gail - buy the ring! LOL

luckylux

Rough_Rock
I bought a sapphire & diamond 1/2 eternity band from overstock. I thought it was pretty nice. When I received my 1/2 eternity band from WF w/ the ACA melee however, there was no comparison. I wear WF band always, and use the overstock band for fun and to have options. If it doesn''t break the bank, get the overstock band so you don''t go crazy while you''re waiting for your great quality one. I guess I can''t talk you out of it either, but there is definitely a difference in quality.
9.gif

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Wow - my .5ct channel set eternity came today! I ordered it on Wednesday with shipping for 1 penny - so I thought it would take a while to get here - not so! It looks great! I think it fits really well with my set and adds just the right amount of sparkle - not too big. The stones are bright and twinkly to my eye (I don''t have a loupe). Upon close inspection, I do notice that a couple of the stones have a little extra space between them - as I mentioned before, I know it''s not SP or WF quality - but honestly, it''s barely noticeable... I think it''s a keeper and the price is certainly right for me at this point in time. Maybe in a year or two I''ll go for the SP platinum band
31.gif
I''ll post some pictures this weekend if I get a chance.

Anyway - for those of us on a budget or just looking for something fun and different for pretty short money, I wouldn''t hesitate...

Gail - I hope your pennies add up quickly so you can have your SP band soon!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Paula, I am so glad you got it and it is so nice! I REALLY want to get it, but my hubby says we gotta be in savings mode til I finish my masters next year.... and I know he''s right.
Maybe pictures of your pretty ring will help me change his mind though. Looking forward to seeing them when you have a chance!
Gail

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results