shape
carat
color
clarity

Take two... Input on 2ct BGD Blue Please :)

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much to everyone who chimed in on my thread yesterday about the 2.5 J stone I had on reserve at James Allen. After reading all the comments and making a trip to my local jeweler, I've decided G-H is really more my target zone for color. Several people recommended Brian Gavin's Blue collection, and they seem to be literally flying off the shelves. I've put one of them on hold and would love your thoughts!!!

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104049675003

Report: AGS
Carat: 2.027
Color: H
Clarity: SI1 (I was told on the phone that this is an eye clean SI1)
Measurements: 8.14×8.17×5.01
Lab Cut Grade: Ideal
Light Performance: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Table %: 55.8
Depth %: 61.3
Crown Angle: 34.7
Pav Angle: 40.7
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Lab Comment: Additional clouds are not shown.

(Scores a 1.0 EX using HCA tool)

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
WoW!

It's gonna be a sparkler!
(+ it's huge, compare to my 2.01 princess)

DanMgy

Rough_Rock
If the photo they have of it on the site is really it then that is really a great SI1, beside the inclusion just off the center of the table at 8 o'clock it looks really eye clean. It also comes in with an HCA grade of 1 which is pretty much better than every stone I have been looked at. If you wanted to really break it down and see if there was any possible room for improvement it would be the spread of the stone, but again it would only be mynute change and would probably never really see or notice a difference.

I could not see you being disappointed in seeing that sparkle in the sun. I tried pushing my GF in the direction of getting a blue fluorescent stone, I think when the right light hits it and you see that blue it is amazing, but alas she was no interested in it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a great choice! I do think you'll be happier with the H color over the long term!

(Just FYI, though, an HCA score of 1.0 is not better than a score of 1.4 or 1.9. The HCA is a screening tool for stones that are not graded as AGS0 and scores of less than 2 are considered good). All of Brian Gavin's in-house stones are usually AGS graded and do not need to be put in the HCA at all.)

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the positive feedback so far! I'm leaning pretty heavily toward this rock as it looks beautiful and my guess is that prices are only going to keep going up between now and this Fall/Winter when I actually need it.

Anyone have thoughts on the effects of the medium blue flour on an H stone? I'm not as worried about negative effects given that BGD selected it (although I'm going to talk to him before I make a decision), but for those of you who have a med blue flour stone, when do you see the effect at all? Even if faint? Direct sunlight? Any other situation? Any type of artificial light other than something like a UV/blacklight? What about positive effects? Given the H color and med blue flour, will there even be any?

Also, anyone who has a BGD Blue diamond, please feel free to show off some pictures! :)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
rubybeth|1306268786|2929313 said:
There is actually a great video that a customer shot of his 'Blue' in a lot of different light at the bottom of the page: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/brian-gavins-blue-diamonds-with-fluorescence/

Personally, I think it's a really cool affect and makes the diamond unique. I wouldn't worry about any of BGD signature diamonds.

Thanks! I did see that video on Brian's website, and the diamond looks great, but I'm most worried about the blue hue in the combination flourescent/halogen indoor lighting. I'm not entirely sure that my gf wants her diamond to glow blue at work, for example, especially as some people may not understand it, etc. Can anyone comment on how common it is to see the effect in artificial lighting in offices, stores, etc.?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really think this is not much of an issue with the stone you are considering because it is only Medium Flour. You will likely only see the blue in very very strogn sunlight or under black lights.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
dmd4ever|1306270329|2929331 said:
There is actually a great video that a customer shot of his 'Blue' in a lot of different light at the bottom of the page: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/brian-gavins-blue-diamonds-with-fluorescence/

Personally, I think it's a really cool affect and makes the diamond unique. I wouldn't worry about any of BGD signature diamonds.

Thanks! I did see that video on Brian's website, and the diamond looks great, but I'm most worried about the blue hue in the combination flourescent/halogen indoor lighting. I'm not entirely sure that my gf wants her diamond to glow blue at work, for example, especially as some people may not understand it, etc. Can anyone comment on how common it is to see the effect in artificial lighting in offices, stores, etc.?

dmd, I have a Brian Gavin Blue in G color and medium flourescence. I wasn't able to spend a lot of time with my ring because it's locked away until my bf is ready to propose but I was able to walk under the sun for about 5 minutes (I live in California) and around my house (living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom). To be honest I really didn't see any "blue" at all and I have very color sensitive eyes. When we were at the jeweler setting the stone (I got my setting custom made by my jeweler) I asked my jeweler to shine black light on my ring, I saw a medium tint of blue, but that was pretty much it. I think it also depends on the environment you are in (the lights used at work, what state you live in... etc).

I have to add that the cut is absolutely amazing on a BGD diamond so I think all attention will be drawn to that even if the diamond shows a SLIGHT blue tint at times. I really don't think it's something to be worried about.... but I understand, it never hurts to ask =)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dmd4ever|1306270329|2929331 said:

The fluorescence will not active at *all*, so you won't see any blue/"whitening b/c of fluor" at all, if the lighting doesn't have UV (esp since as Dreamer says it's only med fluor). Most regular 'ol office lights won't have nearly strong enough LWUV component - direct sunlight and bars/clubs are really the only place it might be noticeable.

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reassurance :) So far nothing really negative in terms of feedback. Anyone see any issues at all with this stone? What about value? It seems like a good deal to me with the PS discount for a cut of this quality for a 2ct H SI1. Anyone disagree?

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
dmd4ever|1306276104|2929420 said:
Thanks for the reassurance :) So far nothing really negative in terms of feedback. Anyone see any issues at all with this stone? What about value? It seems like a good deal to me with the PS discount for a cut of this quality for a 2ct H SI1. Anyone disagree?

I will be waiting for pics 8-)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really can't see a single thing that would make me worry, and price looks fine esp for a branded stone w/ generous vendor policies :bigsmile:

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again for all the input everyone! I think this one might be a winner. I'm buying it and hopefully it looks as good in person as it does online and on paper ;-) Brian talked to me a bit about the stone last night and was generally very nice and helpful. It's nice to have some reassurance about beauty to distract you from the fact that you're spending over $20k for a tiny bit of rock, LOL :)

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
dmd4ever|1306347137|2930011 said:
Thanks again for all the input everyone! I think this one might be a winner. I'm buying it and hopefully it looks as good in person as it does online and on paper ;-) Brian talked to me a bit about the stone last night and was generally very nice and helpful. It's nice to have some reassurance about beauty to distract you from the fact that you're spending over $20k for a tiny bit of rock, LOL :)

Will you be getting the rock loose first and send it back to Brian to set or have it done altogether?

I can't wait to see pictures!

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
OCgirl|1306352266|2930079 said:
Will you be getting the rock loose first and send it back to Brian to set or have it done altogether?

I can't wait to see pictures!

Definitely getting the loose stone first as I want to see it before completely locking myself in. Not sure who's going to set it yet, but I know it will be custom because I have some ideas for integrating stars into the design. I have talked with Leon before (when considering a different diamond shape) in NY and he's the likely person I'll turn to for this project.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1306259552|2929219 said:
I think it is a great choice! I do think you'll be happier with the H color over the long term!

(Just FYI, though, an HCA score of 1.0 is not better than a score of 1.4 or 1.9. The HCA is a screening tool for stones that are not graded as AGS0 and scores of less than 2 are considered good). All of Brian Gavin's in-house stones are usually AGS graded and do not need to be put in the HCA at all.)

Actually, I found a 1.5 BG Blue diamond I was sure I wanted, ideal cut, AGS,----- but, HCA score was one of the worst I had seen. I made sure to use degrees too. I was bummed. I had to call my SO right away to tell him not to pull the trigger.

Rough_Rock

Have you confirmed with BGD that they in fact give PS discount? I just purchased BG Blue from them less than 2 weeks ago, and was told that they do not give PS discount. They however gives 5% wire transfer discount, that's it.

Anyone else can confirm that BGD in fact give PS discount?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1306370344|2930352 said:

Actually, I found a 1.5 BG Blue diamond I was sure I wanted, ideal cut, AGS,----- but, HCA score was one of the worst I had seen. I made sure to use degrees too. I was bummed. I had to call my SO right away to tell him not to pull the trigger.

IMO the HCA is pretty worthless as soon as you get IS/ASET images. I think it's really only helpful for finding potential candidates when you don't have access to IS/ASET images.

100 said:

Have you confirmed with BGD that they in fact give PS discount? I just purchased BG Blue from them less than 2 weeks ago, and was told that they do not give PS discount. They however gives 5% wire transfer discount, that's it.

Anyone else can confirm that BGD in fact give PS discount?

I think BGD only offers PS discount on the Signatures.

dmd4ever

Shiny_Rock
I don't know how the discount works or if it's only on certain stones, etc., but I did get a discount :) I'm having the diamond shipped to me next week as I'm leaving town for the weekend, but I'm excited to see it next Wednesday and will post some pics.

As for evaluating the diamonds on Brian Gavin's website, he seems to post everything you'd want: ASET, IS, Photo, Sarin, etc. And when I called he pulled the stone out of the safe and described the inclusions for me in detail. And I like the fact that they have a solid return policy so if for some reason it doesn't live up to expectations in person I'm free to continue searching, although I feel really good about this rock. And these things are popular! I've only been looking at the BGD Blues for about a week, and in that time the 2+ carat selection has gone from 6 or 7 stones to 2... Glad I got mine ;-)

Rough_Rock
Actually, I have re-checked the email and the invoice. It seems like I did in fact received 5% discount for wire transfer instead of the normal 2% discount for wire transfer. So the extra 3% has to be the PS discount.

Before I settled for BGD Signature Blue, I was inquiry about the non-BGD stones and ask for PS discount and were told the discount not available. So when I decided to purchase the BGD Signature Blue, I was given the 5% discount with wire transfer. I mistaken the 5% was for straight wire transfer, but now it seems the discount for wire transfer was only 2%, the extra 3% was from PS :)

Feel better now :twirl:

Rough_Rock
thbmok|1306389141|2930610 said:
@dmd4ever: Congrats! Please post pictures when you get it.

@100: If you got 5% I think you got the PS discount. The wire discount is only 2% according to their FAQ: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/need-help-faq/

Yes, you are right, I just re-edited my post and saw yours :) Thanks for setting me straight. I was confused, because the invoice states -5% wire discount haha, so I thought that was just a straight 5% for wire transfer.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
100|1306389233|2930611 said:

@100: If you got 5% I think you got the PS discount. The wire discount is only 2% according to their FAQ: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/need-help-faq/

Yes, you are right, I just re-edited my post and saw yours :) Thanks for setting me straight. I was confused, because the invoice states -5% wire discount haha, so I thought that was just a straight 5% for wire transfer.

100, just curious - What are the specs of the BGD blue you purchased, if you are willing to share? I'm also a BGD blue owner =)

Also on the discount topic - yea Leslie was offering me 2% for the wire/check discount and after I told her I'm a member of PS she said she can then bump it up to 5%. So I would think the difference is PS discount.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1306370344|2930352 said:

I think you made a mistake. If the stone has been AGS ideal cut with ideal light performance, you don't use the HCA! AGS grading makes using the HCA unnecessary!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1306464627|2931406 said:

I didn't mean to upset you! But I just want to be sure newcomers to the forum understand that AGS Ideal cut stones with ideal light performance are the top of the heap of diamonds. The HCA is useful for GIA excellent stones because that category is very broad and not all stones are as good as others.

Is the stone still there or did you choose another one? It's always an option to put a stone on hold and then post it here for opinions.

Rough_Rock
OCgirl|1306438774|2931032 said:
100|1306389233|2930611 said:

100, just curious - What are the specs of the BGD blue you purchased, if you are willing to share? I'm also a BGD blue owner =)

Also on the discount topic - yea Leslie was offering me 2% for the wire/check discount and after I told her I'm a member of PS she said she can then bump it up to 5%. So I would think the difference is PS discount.

Sure, please see it in the link :) http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050213006

However, Iam thinking of upgrading it to this one... http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=BLAGS-104050213001

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1306465100|2931411 said:

I didn't mean to upset you! But I just want to be sure newcomers to the forum understand that AGS Ideal cut stones with ideal light performance are the top of the heap of diamonds. The HCA is useful for GIA excellent stones because that category is very broad and not all stones are as good as others.

Is the stone still there or did you choose another one? It's always an option to put a stone on hold and then post it here for opinions.

Thanks so much! But you didn't upset me Diamondseeker. I just felt like an idiot for a second. haha! Yes, it means I have to keep looking, but honestly, I'm having fun learning and searching. (well, not so much now with the price hikes. LOL-- yikes!) You all are so helpful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1306477621|2931532 said:
diamondseeker2006|1306465100|2931411 said:

Thanks so much! But you didn't upset me Diamondseeker. I just felt like an idiot for a second. haha! Yes, it means I have to keep looking, but honestly, I'm having fun learning and searching. (well, not so much now with the price hikes. LOL-- yikes!) You all are so helpful!

Just know now to rely on AGS reports over the HCA when it comes to stones by Brian Gavin, WhiteFlash, or Good Old Gold. They are providing idealscope images, etc., for their stones, so we can rely on those and do not need the HCA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results