shape
carat
color
clarity

Takahashi - Please help choose a pair of pearls

Bluebell5

Rough_Rock
Hallo to all pearl experts @yssie,

Please help me choose a pair of pearls. Takahashi sent me 2 pairs of Akoya pearls and I just can't decide. To me it seems that both pairs are not very good matched. The pearls on the right seem to be darker. Or is it just how it looks on fotos?

Please help me decide which pair to get (or ask for a different pair) . Thanks pearls pair.jpg

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lighting can do really funny things to pearls. Have them turn the card and take another photo for you. Picture below:

81AE1B7E-AD58-4860-92E8-430E49251F57.jpeg
DF965B53-4843-4F9C-AE64-AC9BE4A30F70.jpeg

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Lighting can do really funny things to pearls. Have them turn the card and take another photo for you. Picture below:

81AE1B7E-AD58-4860-92E8-430E49251F57.jpeg
DF965B53-4843-4F9C-AE64-AC9BE4A30F70.jpeg

I think for MATCHING purposes, it would help if each matched pair was at the same distance from the window versus the current setup where the right Pearl is closer to window?

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Hallo to all pearl experts @yssie,

Please help me choose a pair of pearls. Takahashi sent me 2 pairs of Akoya pearls and I just can't decide. To me it seems that both pairs are not very good matched. The pearls on the right seem to be darker. Or is it just how it looks on fotos?

Please help me decide which pair to get (or ask for a different pair) . Thanks pearls pair.jpg

For matching and judgement purposes, it also helps to ask for a video doing a 360 Degree turn around the pearls at a 45 degree angle. You can go frame by frame in video when reviewing and it lets you see all sides of pearl for surface imperfections (Little bumps, shark fin, etc)…

Bluebell5

Rough_Rock
I will ask them to take another photo. What do you think about the luster of the pearls?

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I will ask them to take another photo. What do you think about the luster of the pearls?

Personally I can't say anything about luster from that one picture --- maybe Yssie can?

What I will say, based on my prior experience with Takahashi and looking at their 9-9.5mm previously...Is that when I asked them to show it in the same picture as a 8.5-9mm earring pairs, it was clear to me that the 9-9.5mm had noticeably lower luster. I couldn't bring myself to pay 3x the price for lower luster pearls so I bought the more lustrous 8.5-9mm. That was the choice I made anyhow.

I can't say that is the case for THESE pairs since you don't have any 8.5-9mm in the same picture (Has to be in same picture to compare)...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for MATCHING purposes, it would help if each matched pair was at the same distance from the window versus the current setup where the right Pearl is closer to window?

Yeah. It would. But then they'd have to flip the card in the other direction from that initial orientation to judge body colour and that just seemed like a lot of flipping to try to explain :lol:

Bluebell5

Rough_Rock
Now I'm on my computer and can answer properly!

Thank you very much for you opinion. It did't occcur to me, that the difference may be due to the light source being on the right side. I asked Takahashi to turn the card 180 degrees and make another photo.

Re size: I first wanted 9.5-10mm akoyas but desided against it because of the price increase. I will ask for some 8.5-9mm pairs to compare.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I'm on my computer and can answer properly!

Thank you very much for you opinion. It did't occcur to me, that the difference may be due to the light source being on the right side. I asked Takahashi to turn the card 180 degrees and make another photo.

Re size: I first wanted 9.5-10mm akoyas but desided against it because of the price increase. I will ask for some 8.5-9mm pairs to compare.

It’s actually two things -
1. The lighting actually causing a difference between right and left side, thanks to slight shadow, and
2. The phone camera software doing weird stuff to compensate for that slight shadow.

Unfortunately every phone camera type is a bit different, so we can never know exactly what’s happening! Seeing in-person is always best, but getting both directional perspectives is a pretty good second option.

Bluebell5

Rough_Rock
So I heard back from Takahashi. Unfortunately they don't have any 8-8.5 mm pearls with gem luster right now.
They made a video and another photo with both 9mm pairs like @yssie suggested.

pearls 2.jpg pearls 1.jpg
Any thoughts?

Bluebell5

Rough_Rock
Honestly, to me both pairs look good, but I'm not an expert - like at all. And I looked so much at pearls recently that I'm almost blind by now. So I really need help!

mamong

Rough_Rock
Both pairs really good! The first pair (in the middle below the single pearl) is a tad more lustrous and whiter to my eyes. I prefer that pair. What’s your preference? I think you can’t go wrong picking any pair. ☺️

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I agree they both look beautiful. The bottom pair is a bit pinker.

Personally, I’d go with the middle pair. I see it having a smidge more contrast-luster. In the video, my eye kept going to it versus the bottom pair for some reason. I also think the middle pair has a slightly stronger Aurora/overtone (Look at colors in window area).

Bluebell5

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help! I'll take the middle pair.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Video was actually NY_Resonant’s idea!

And middle pair for me too, thritto!

Do you also need that bigger singleton? Maybe? :sun::halo:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Video was actually NY_Resonant’s idea!

And middle pair for me too, thritto!

Yup, middle pair for me too!

Bluebell5

Rough_Rock

Funny you ask that. This is the pearl for a pendant. I have a pearl pendant already. But one day I looked at it and thought - has it always looked so meh? So I desided to buy a beautiful pearl instead. And then I thought, why not buy pearls for earrings as well?

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree the top pair . Sharper lustre.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results