shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahitian Strand help???

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you were going to have only one strand of Tahitian pearls, which would it be? I'm having a difficult time making up my mind! HELP!!!

Harvest strand or one of all the same kind?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How do you want to wear it? Casually or more formal?

If you want a special occasion/more formal/more dressy look, a classic well-matched round strand might be the direction to go. I'd go all in one colour, rather than multicolour if you are wanting to be the most classic and dressy - choose a strand with a bright overtone in a shade that suits you (green, aubergine, blue-green, silver - they come in all colours, so there's a range to find one in that suits you best).

If you are looking for something to wear more casually (as in an every day strand to wear to work), I find the baroque strands to be a nice mix of dressy but not too dressy, and the harvest strands are a very versatile example of this style. I actually love longer ones as I find them the most flexible and versatile.

kalmen22

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hate to tell u this but you'll be hard pressed to stop at 1. I love my tahitians and there are so many option when it comes to colour and shape.

And as cmd mentioned it would when you're wearing. I find longer lengths more casual. A good option is to have 2 short strands that can be connected via clasp to give you options.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking for something to wear more casually (as in an every day strand to wear to work), I find the baroque strands to be a nice mix of dressy but not too dressy, and the harvest strands are a very versatile example of this style. I actually love longer ones as I find them the most flexible and versatile

I"m leaning to a 33" Harvest strand.

I hate to tell u this but you'll be hard pressed to stop at 1. I love my tahitians and there are so many option when it comes to colour and shape.

I know it may not be the only strand I buy but I need to start with a versatile one initially. I don't have many opportunities to dress up, church is about the only time I do.

I also just bought a strand of 11.1-13.3 AAA White South Sea Baroques!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
If I could only have one strand I'd probably pick an 18" or rope of 8-10mm colourful AAA ovals or near rounds.

If a harvest strand is really calling you, you should get that! But don't compromise on quality. I've bought 5 strands of AA+ Tahitians over the last year. While I LOvE my pearls I am now finding myself removing the more blemished pearls from my strands. My AAA/AA+ strand on the other hand barely has any blemishes.

Same thing with colour, shape, length etc. Hold out for your perfect strand.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you have a gorgeous WSS strand for dressy, you'd probably enjoy the more casual harvest strand more. 33 inches is such a good length too. Might be worth it to get a pearl shortener too, so that you can adjust the length to suit your neckline or mood (or have them put a bracelet length into the strand so you can wear it short or long).

Edit: +1 on the AAA advice. Buy the very best that you can afford. Otherwise you'll just find yourself regretting it later.

kalmen22

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do show your white ssp when they arrive.
If you love the harvest look go for it. I do like the textures and different shapes. And agree it would be more casual than rounds.

Can't wait to see your pics

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone ever made a purchase from Oceanscove on etsy?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone ever made a purchase from Oceanscove on etsy?

The owner of that Etsy shop is a respected member of the other pearl forum, if that helps.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The owner of that Etsy shop is a respected member of the other pearl forum, if that helps.

Thank you pearlsngems. I am unaware of the forum you mention but I will check it out.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not hard to find by googling but if you can't find it you can message the seller on Etsy and she will tell you. We're not supposed to mention other forums by name here.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could only have one I'd go for an 18" silver drop or baroque strand. Rounds are formal and pricier and often don't have the luster and overtones of non round pearls. And you have the flexibility of dressing up or down with drops/baroques.
My second choice would be an 18" multicolor drop/baroque strand.
I hope you share your wss strand as well! I think I know which strand you are referring to as I *believe* there was just the one AAA strand. I watched the sale closely: ).

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops, I think I have your wss strand confused with someone else's.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Buy what suits you. There are many colours of Tahitians. Some will look great and some will not. You need to try them. And try different shapes and sizes. There is no formula. These days I wear a big single round peacock pink and grey Tahitian on a fine silver chain a lot.
Harvest strands, unless they really come from a farm can be just what a wholesaler or seller has around at the time - although that is a bit of a cynical view of them, I admit.
Another casual look is a station necklace.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them! Neck shots when you get them, please!

Last edited:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's gorgeous! I really love ringed pearls. How do you feel about them?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's gorgeous! I really love ringed pearls. How do you feel about them?[/QUOTE

I have them but haven't worn them yet. They are very lovely!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I really really like the strand from Ocean Cove.

Pearls of Joy also have some gorgeous Tahitian strands http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Tahitian-Pearl-Necklaces_c_59-1-2.html

Also I know you like harvest strands so here are a couple of different pieces from Kamoka

Keshi strand (under budget) -https://kamokapearls.com/products/silver-sands-tahitian-keshi-strand

Harvest strand (over budget) - https://kamokapearls.com/products/pearl-harvest-strand

Is it for a special occasion, birthday etc? If you contact Josh/Celeste they may be able to give you a discount.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Yes that's really nice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of Sarah's pieces. She has a great eye for colour and quality. If there are a couple of pieces you are contemplating, I'm sure she would be happy to send you side by side photos for comparison. She also has a great return policy, so you can always check it out in person and return if it's not what you were after.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that's really nice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of Sarah's pieces. She has a great eye for colour and quality. If there are a couple of pieces you are contemplating, I'm sure she would be happy to send you side by side photos for comparison. She also has a great return policy, so you can always check it out in person and return if it's not what you were after.

Thanks!
I think I will get more photos of both from her or may just purchase both so I can compare with my own eyes.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great SS strand, Bright Ice! Congratulations!

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If I had to have just one Tahitian necklace ... I'd probably want a leather knotted one. I just love the beach elegance look of these (sold via https://imrieindustries.com, see also #terremerlove on instagram) ... but that's probably not what you're looking for ;-)

image_da3294f2-bf96-4ac0-9612-98a80382abe4.jpg

I also adore tin cup necklaces, like this one from Kamoka:

fda8b632d9b9f17a3098f7bbaed37cb5.jpg

... basically for Tahitians, I prefer them having a bit of space in between each other so each can shine as the stunning individual pearl creature she is.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love that strand! I have to admit I was eyeing it and had to take myself firmly in hand and tell myself that I already have a WSS strand. Neck shots would be appreciated!

I think a longer harvest strand would be a nice compliment to that strand. That way you'd have a shorter strand for dressy and for necklines that do best with a short strand, and a longer strand for the rest.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Rikitea Mangareva pearls

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Did you end up ordering a Tahitian strand Bright ice?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you end up ordering a Tahitian strand Bright ice?

Yes, I have 3 strands coming my way to try. A baroque 9.1-11.0 mm AAA from Pearls of Joy, an oval/near round 8.5-10.5 mm and a 33" harvest strand coming from Oceans Cove on Etsy. I will post photos when here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results