shape
carat
color
clarity

table size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rextrailer

Rough_Rock
I was looking for an ideal cut, but am intrigued by this one:

59.3% Depth
59% Table

33.2% crown angle
40.9% pavil angle

Do you think the table is too big?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Not if you don't.
1.gif

A smaller table can give the stone more fire. A larger table can give the stone more white light return. It can also make the stone look bigger.

I like more fire, so I chose a stone with a 54% table. It looks markedly different from my sister's diamond, which has excellent proportions and a 60% table. Hers appears brighter, mine appears to have more facets and is more firey and has more scintillation. They're both beautiful stones.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow this could be a very excellent stone. I ran it on the HCA and got 1.1 EX with ALL FOUR EX's. Which I don't see that often. Probably because of the larger table, shallower depth and the shallower crown....this stone looks bigger than it really is from CTW.

I have a larger tabled stone, mine is 61.4%... I really like it. It's not ideal, but it looks bigger and it definitely has alot more white brilliance to it than fire. If you are trying to make the most out of a budget, I definitely feel that this could be the way to go for you. Esp with the numbers looking pretty good already! My next stone will be a super-ideal because I am curious now...

I would see it in person and see if you can get pictures of it (is it online?), or an idealscope image to see light leakage/return.

Looks like a fine start...good luck!
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Pretty!
1.gif
9.gif
And scores better than many steep/deep AGS 0's.
1.gif

rextrailer

Rough_Rock
So from what Mara anbd CanadianGrrl are saying, a larger table % means more brilliance than fire... Ok, thanks I did not know that
1.gif
Question- since the HCA scores came out 1.1 w/ 4 Excellents(and one of the categories is Fire) does this mean this diamond will in fact have excellent fire, even with a large table size?

I like fire! I'm also reluctant to get this one because it is not traditional ideal cut (and I'm new to all this and don't really know how relevant "ideal cut" proportions are, esp when the HCA score is so high). Can anyone help me with that one? Thank you very much.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
The table is not "large". I doubt I could tell the difference by eye from a 56% to 59%. The larger table does not guarantee more light return and less fire. It's all in the cut proportions, and yours seems to have it in all the right places. The fire comes from the interplay between the crown and pavillion cut angles.

In the end, let your eyes be the judge.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
To my eyes, two stones with excellent cut proportions that have dissimilar table sizes (one is a 60%, the other a 54%) perform somewhat differently. But the difference between a 57% table and a 59% might be less obvious. Rank is right on in suggesting that you see stones in person - if you're able to view some stones during your "research phase", it can help to give you a better idea of what appeals to you.
1.gif

Edited because repeating oneself endlessly is bad.
sad.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 11/9/2003 10:59:23 PM rextrailer wrote:

So from what Mara anbd CanadianGrrl are saying, a larger table % means more brilliance than fire... Ok, thanks I did not know that
1.gif
Question- since the HCA scores came out 1.1 w/ 4 Excellents(and one of the categories is Fire) does this mean this diamond will in fact have excellent fire, even with a large table size?

I like fire! I'm also reluctant to get this one because it is not traditional ideal cut (and I'm new to all this and don't really know how relevant 'ideal cut' proportions are, esp when the HCA score is so high). ----------------

If you like fire then this diamond may be a very good candidate. Although it is not an ideal cut stone, the parameters of the table, depth, crown and pavilllion indicates that the diamond is a very good performer. Ideal cut does not necessary mean that it will perform better than a non-ideal, it is just that the liklihood of an ideal cut being a better performer than a non-ideal is bigger than the other way around.

The crown angle is properly matched for this table size therefore the diamond will have great fire. So don't be afraid to have this one sent to a local appraiser so that you can view the diamond personally to see whether it meets your taste. Please note there are many gorgeous non-ideals out there, don't automatically rule it out just because it doesn't fall within the ideal range.

rodent.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results